60007 DBS 'dodgy wiring' from the factory? Issue..

Lochnagar

Bit of an unexpected post, but I've had two Brand new Hornby 60007 'The spirit of tom kendall' locos in DBS switch for safety livery laying around for a while now and I've only just had chance to start work on them (namely, removing the stupid branding and turning them into standard DB Schenker 60s). No issues with livery at all it's spot on, hardly surprising due to them being made in Sander Kan. But..

Anyway, on opening them up they looked like this! 

post-9660-0-35016300-1459863215.jpg

post-9660-0-24475800-1459863239.jpg

post-9660-0-42009500-1459863258.jpg

post-9660-0-32212200-1459863273.jpg

post-9660-0-48672500-1459863287.jpg

Not the best pics, just some quick phone shots. 

A total mess. All the wiring to the circuit board has been hard wired instead of the usual plastic tags, anyone familiar with the Hornby 60 will realise immediately what a mess this is. Really poor quality soldering too, just blobbed on, loose wires etc, all needs to be redone. The lights have been hardwired too, and the usual brass contacts have not been fitted to the chassis or cabs and the plastic mounts crudely filed off. I can understand this, as the brass contacts could prove problematic but it was fixed so easily on the 60 by teasing them up a little, and rarely caused an issue. Hardly justifies doing this! Wiring is just a mess, a proper 'bodge job'. But as far as I can tell it looks like a factory job, tape has been used to stick the wires to the roof, and plugs are present so as to enable to body to be disconnected from the chassis. Also quite a bit of that sticky black gunge Hornby use to tack wiring in place had managed to stick the cab units to the chassis. 

So basically what I'm asking is.. anyone else that has a DBS 60007 (or indeed any newer 60s) could you check if yours is the same? As if this is a factory job it's seriously not acceptable, and a recall may be in order. It'd be interesting to see if this is an isolated case to 60007, or just some of that batch, or indeed a modification on all newer class 60s. 

Also worth mentioning that both locos were purchased new from traders, at different times and locations. 

Alex

Does it function correctly??

It will once I've soldered a couple of wires back on.. tagged them into position to see and everything works. 

More a case of 'what the heck' when I took the body off. 

I've got about 25 60s and they're all spot on I love them. Still up there at the top.

I have the same loco and was aware of the issues you describe, documented on  RMweb when the loco was released a couple of years ago. Looks the same as mine, that's how it comes from the factory.

I fitted the loco with a Legomanbiffo decoder and it runs and sounds great!

Mal

Archived