NCB Paddy Trains (1950s onwards)

Afternoon all,

I'm planning to have a coach on my layout for the use of men going to work at the pit.

Does anyone know what the rules were regarding train brakes on such passenger trains?

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I'm planning to have a coach on my layout for the use of men going to work at the pit.

Does anyone know what the rules were regarding train brakes on such passenger trains?

Unless was a specific local exemption all passenger trains on statutory railways were required to have a continuous brake following the 1889 Regulation of Railways Act  This means that in effect any train running on an industrial line was not necessarily required to have a continuous brake (but in some cases such Railways were covered by their own Act of Incorporation which might make such a requirement).

• RMweb Premium

Photos of 'paddy trains' at Talywain [vans], Cannock Chase and Ashington [old carriages] in the IA Industrial Steam colour album show no signs of the locos having vacuum brakes, so assume loco hand/steam brakes only and hand brakes in carriage guards vans.

Dava

As industrial railways were often built on private land and without 'Light Railway Orders' or 'Acts of Parliament' and the trains were not public, they were usually exempt from the requirements for continuous brakes. Here's a one coach train on the West Cannock system using an ex-LNWR bird cage brake coach.

post-8705-0-52029400-1460046941.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Note also that the tail lamp isn't at the rear!

The Highland Railway sold off a few of its four wheeler ribbed sided thirds to a mile somewhere down south, so you can pick your coach from anywhere...

Andy G

The NCB Talywain - Blaenserchan miners train was, as mentioned above, an assortment of former LMS and GWR vans purchased from BR.

They were referred to locally as 'the carriages'.

The Pontardulais - Graig Merthyr system used a former GWR coach.

This was replaced in the late 1960s by a rake of vans purchased from BR and which were numbered by the NCB as 70121, 70125, 70127 all ex-LMS vans, possibly Dia 1664 and 70197 an ex SR Banana Van.

Both the Talywain and Graig Merthyr vans had no visible external brake levers, the brakes were apparently set from inside the vans.

I am unaware of any NCB locos in South Wales at least fitted with train brakes for working Paddy Trains.

This subject has been covered before at the following locations:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31388-ncb-south-wales-area-paddy-trains/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92707-ncb-miners-trains/

Brian R.

Archived