TMC Sugar Covhops

Andy Y

SUGAR COVHOPS 38-500Z

Our 4 pack of specially commissioned SUGAR COVHOPS which have new tooling incorporated for the roof hatches and discharge pipes, together with a revised body/chassis alignment where required compared to previous releases [not all COVHOPS had their bodies mounted the same way] are now on their way from China. The wagons are coloured Ice Blue, also referred to as Arctic Blue by BR. Bachmann are continuously trying to improve their standards and accuracy regarding livery application and this includes correcting colours where there is certainty and hard evidence that they have been wrong in the past. Ice Blue is such a case, where most of us perceive it to be much lighter than it was on first application to a wagon. The Blue on the SUGAR COVHOPS has been matched to the British Standard colour reference for Ice Blue in the BR Corporate Manual.  

Whilst we think the livery is very attractive in pristine, there is no doubt it faded and weathered quickly. Most photographs available to us show the wagons towards the end of their working lives some 14 years after paint was first applied. So to suit all tastes we are offering the wagons pristine, or with various degrees of weathering. The photographs below show the models as pristine, light, medium, heavy or deluxe weathered.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

http://www.themodelcentre.com/38-500Z/

PLEASE NOTE PICTURES ARE OF THE PRE PRODUCTION SAMPLES

"Beet The Sugar Tax"

TMC are delighted to announce an Exclusive Pack of 4 Sugar Covhop wagons [38-500Z] Ltd Edition of 504 pieces. Due May/June 2016.

*New Tooling incorporating Changes to roof hatches & discharge ports.

*Individual Running Numbers B870785, B870803, B886629 & B886743

*TMC Weathered Versions also Available

*Body mounted on chassis to reflect correct catwalk alignment with chassis 

*Fitted & Unfitted versions in each pack 

*Striking Ice Blue Livery

Add something different to your layout stock fleet.

Often referred to as CZV's very few seem to have this marking as most ran pretty much unaltered since conversion in 1964.

All to be in pre-tops SUGAR branding 

All have been  produced from photographs of the vehicles in service up to May 1978.  The ice blue livery might have been precautionary to prevent loading with any other load. They typically ran from the East Anglian sugar beet producing areas. A train of 8 - 12 wagons was not uncommon.  

TMC wish to acknowledge David Larkin's kind assistance with the considerable research information and photographs provided to ensure the accurate portrayal of the many detail differences incorporated in this superb Bachmann model.

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

Plenty of info in the Bachmann covhop thread that started in 2012 here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50914-covhops/page-1&do=findComment&comment=589296

Thanks Porcy. I was looking for information on flows specific to the Sugar Covhops. I looked through the thread and could only find reference to a flow from East Anglia to York Dringhouses. Did they operate anywhere else at all?

Hello

Does any-one know of a photograph of them in their early years as all the photos I have seen show them in the late 70s/1980 heavily weathered at the end of their lives?

Cheers

George

Thanks Porcy. I was looking for information on flows specific to the Sugar Covhops. I looked through the thread and could only find reference to a flow from East Anglia to York Dringhouses. Did they operate anywhere else at all?

I've seen photos of them around Temple Mills; perhaps bound for Tate & Lyle at Silvertown.

• 1 month later...

Hello

Been told today by TMC that  my order is on the way.

Cheers

George

Hello

Mine arrived on Thursday and they look rather good to me. The top hatches look like the ones on Paul's site. They just need a light weathering to suit my late 60s requirement. My only small query is whether they would have had the electrification flashes on from new  or were the added later in their life?

Cheers

George

Archived