Steam Railway

kirtleypete

Maybe I'm getting more crotchety in my old age but I'm getting more and more irritated by the punning headlines in Steam Railway. We're not all Sun readers, and it's got to the stage where I'm no longer enjoying reading what is otherwise a good magazine. Why they feel the need to do it I have no idea...mention of the Brighton Atlantic tender gave us 'tanked up', the dragbox on the B17 new build required 'Life's a drag'...you get the idea. It's beyond puerile. 

Is it just me, or does it annoy you as well?

Peter

It's not just you.  It (and other magazines) irritate the wotsit out of me.  For that reason, I don't often buy it.  When I'm tempted by the cover, I usually find the related article somewhat lacking in substance.

Yes I agree totally. Could it be that it is now under the 'Bauer Media' umbrella along with a host of other poorly edited and puerile magazines, radio stations and now even a  car insurance comparison site called 'Mustard' who are apparently emailing various subscribers of the magazines for business. It's probably too late to stop that but I won't be renewing my subs when the are due, I'll just be looking through and deciding whether to buy or not in 'Smiths' library. I also understand that the junk that falls out of magazines from 'Great Magazines' is also from Bauer Media who own all those magazines, a bit biased I would have said.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Rail express went through an irritating period a few years ago where every photograph had a stupid supposed witty caption. I was glad when they dropped it

• RMweb Premium

Yes I agree totally. Could it be that it is now under the 'Bauer Media' umbrella along with a host of other poorly edited and puerile magazines, radio stations and now even a  car insurance comparison site called 'Mustard' who are apparently emailing various subscribers of the magazines for business. It's probably too late to stop that but I won't be renewing my subs when the are due, I'll just be looking through and deciding whether to buy or not in 'Smiths' library. I also understand that the junk that falls out of magazines from 'Great Magazines' is also from Bauer Media who own all those magazines, a bit biased I would have said.

Dave Franks.

I failed to renew my subscription a couple of years back because of the amount of spam I was getting to "Dear Steam Railway Reader" and their apparent inability to respect the un-subscribe links on their emails.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Steam Railway is not the mag it was. Thinner paper, a succession of editors & tailing off of good contributors, plus a tendency to have 'fantasy' stories [which they a,lways did] have not helped. Heritage Railway is the alternative but they're a bit of a muchness.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

All of the Bauer media magazines seem to have suffered from a change to poor quality paper.

I subscribe to model rail and practical classics and the paper is awful

All of the Bauer media magazines seem to have suffered from a change to poor quality paper.

I subscribe to model rail and practical classics and the paper is awful

I still can't find the Bronco watermark ...

Chris

I still can't find the Bronco watermark ...

possibly too deep for some?

Maybe you should have chosen it's main competitor in luxury toiletries...

post-508-0-43853700-1463841290.jpg

"Another welcome step in reducing the cost of living". Not when you take into account the increased consumption of washing powder!

P

.. and there is probably battalions of schoolkids and local goverment workers of a certain age that wishes Newton Chambers had stuck to coal mining, casting iron, making coke and railway wagons and never diversified into using their bye products to make "tracing paper".

I often wondered if Izal and Bronco was part of a greater scheme to discourage workers vising the lav during work time thus up production?

Phew! I'm glad it's not just me!

I love the Land Rover Dave, I used to have a Series 1 and I still miss it. 

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks. The Landie is off the road at the moment, in fact, it's been off the road for some time awaiting a new chassis. This past week has seen a renewed effort to get the thing stripped down ready for the transplant, the target for the next MOT (if it needs one) is this October when the Landie will be fifty years old.

I used to buy 'Land Rover Owner International' magazine till it went off in the direction of brand new Chelsea tractors and loads of adverts for fancy clothing and gear, guess who had acquired the title? yes the very subject of our moan. Apparently they are one of the most successful media companies in the world with some 270 magazines and around 50 radio stations like my one time favourite - 'Planet Rock', even that has gone down in quality and up in the number of annoying adverts recently.

Consumerism eh!

Dave Franks.

Way Way off topic, but Mr Cholmondeley Warner narrates a 1935 moving picture show of the production of Izal (among other things). Pity they didn't apply their non slip road surface technology to their bog paper.

Plenty of railway interest. Tar wagons being unloaded etc.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-thorncliffe-1935/

Ken Loachs 1970's two part TV drama, "The Price of Coal" was also filmed just up the road from the Izal Plant at the ex. Newton Chambers Thorpe Hesley Colliery.

P

It's amazing what you can learn from RMWeb!

I used to buy LRO as well Dave, but not recently - it sounds like I packed up at the right time. The only Land Rover I've got now is a 1/43rd one on the layout. 

Peter

Archived