S-R TLC for very old Reidpath

bertiedog

A rather tired at over 66 years old Stewart Reidpath 060, a product designed Pre-war but made in the late 1940's and on to about 1952. It is the sister of the Reidpath 060 with a plain boiler, with the top changed to a Belpaire box.

post-6750-0-87173700-1466967706_thumb.jpg

These were designed as HO locomotives, which explains the length and small wheels, and general lack of width! the mould were altered to add trim around the footplate to make it wider, but it was basically as Stewart Reidpath wanted as HO seemed to be the coming scale in the mid Thirties.

post-6750-0-80333200-1466967719_thumb.jpg

But as he started making other HO models in Herne bay it dawned on them that HO was unpracticable with splashers etc on locos. He dropped the HO plans and turned to 00.

The pair of the cast bodied locos was the bread and butter of the range, the brass locos were the scale models, and many were made pre-war, in the low thousands by about 1950.

It has the standard Essar chassis and wheels with the enclosed magnet motor, and is equipped for three rail, despite Stewart Reidpath's adoption of two rail before the war period. It runs but needs attention to clean everything in the motor.

The cast lead model smoke box has been got at by a large hot soldering iron, in an attempt to solder on the chimney, which is a brass bolt on item! the nut ans crew are still under the chimney! So a bit of plumbing lead to sort out the damaged smoke box top, in low melt 120 deg solder, which the rest of the body can stand.

It first needs the troweled on Black paint removed, there is a decent casting under the muck somewhere! It is a lead casting so no rot or oxides to worry about. Then a spot of tidying up, and a repaint in satin black.....and stand back and wonder what drove S-R to fit a GWR Boiler to the model.........were GWR enthusiasts genuinely that unsophisticated then?

Both versions were marketed in any livery or company the buyer wanted.........

Stephen.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

That is a very aesthetically pleasing locomotive.

Will you paint it as an industrial machine?

What does the chassis look like? I ask because I run an old Hamblings Gnat 0-4-0 saddletank as an industrial shunter. The motor in this is an early ringfield style and once it has warmed up, runs beautifully!!

I look forward to see what you do with the beast.

Chris.

It has had to wait to be done, as I have layout work on, yes the chassis is the same, with a double magnet. not a true ringfield motor,The chassis is made up a brass plate sandwiching the axles, (1/8th), with coined brass wheels (hot stamped), and three rail pickup in this case. It is meant to be a 3f...2f....er..... stop laughing at the back!!, in the plain boilered version.

It has no prototype in the tapered version. The pair were really HO scale pre war, but with mould changes became small 00 locos after the war. Very few pure HO versions exist.

It will be returned to black finish, with GWR lettering as that is how they sold them...........although the wholesaler and later owner of the SR range, Mr Arthur Hambling, would paint it to order in any livery.

Stephen

• Like 1

The shot was from the net, the Hamblings bear all the hallmarks of being fitted by them, the rail used as connecting rods, and the stubs not flush with the face, as they sawn them of with a protecting piece of thin phosphor bronze sheet with a hole in it to fit the stub. This method was copied by customers who did not know better!

The correct method was to chose a slightly curved fine needle file and put a hole in the shim almost as big as the rim, this enabled the filing to get dad level, criss crossed till smooth and then rubbed with fine abrasive paper.

Rail could be used for rods, but only after punching flats at each joint, then filing in the profile of the oil box, and flattening the lot flush on the back, and filing down the fluting on the front. if the rods tapered then splits were sawn in with a slitting saw down the middle, crushed vertically and the silver soldered. Only then were the crankpin holes drilled.

Trouble was so many building models for Hamblings in the 60's and early 70's were old school modellers and just used the easiest way to make them quickly, as they always had done.

Stephen

• 2 years later...

For info, if you're familar with Edward Beal's books, he writes (I think in 'Scale Railway Modelling Today') his account of 'model bashing' them to make anything from an 0-4-0T to an 0-8-4T Wath banker. Do any of these survive at all - anyone know?

Edited by detheridge

• 3 months later...
On 10/03/2019 at 13:28, decauville1126 said:

Just picked up one of these 0-6-0's at a local swapmeet for £10. Works ok but horribly gunged mechanism. Something else to spend time on before it sits on the shelf ....

And today, from the same seller, I bought a 3-rail chassis minus one brush arm for £3. Seems the 3-rail version has all-metal wheelsets so can't be 2-railed easily. But as the complete loco I bought has a (now) running 2-rail mech then no problem.

17 hours ago, decauville1126 said:

And today, from the same seller, I bought a 3-rail chassis minus one brush arm for £3. Seems the 3-rail version has all-metal wheelsets so can't be 2-railed easily. But as the complete loco I bought has a (now) running 2-rail mech then no problem.

Should be quite easy to replace the Eames wheels with Romford/Markit wheels and fit a new pickup system

If they are Eames wheels have they been adapted to 3 rail by shorting out the insulation?

• 11 months later...

Those are quite interesting. When I became interested in Lionel, a little while ago, I had not seen that type of construction before. I’ve since been told that it is a result of designing a chassis by replacing the clockwork spring with an armature, and re-using as many of the clockwork parts as possible - is this correct, do you think?