Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway Vicar - A short movie on the Rev Teddy Boston's layout

I came across this video on YouTube and I do not think it has been posted here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9HFuo_qKw

I remember seeing the layout in Railway Modeller in the 1960s and admiring it so much, wishing I had the space to do something like it.

It is interesting to compare the running qualities of the trains in the video with modern models, and also to note the speeds at which Rev. Boston ran many of his trains, at least for the video.

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing the layout in Railway Modeller in the 1960s and admiring it so much, wishing I had the space to do something like it.

It is interesting to compare the running qualities of the trains in the video with modern models, and also to note the speeds at which Rev. Boston ran many of his trains, at least for the video.

I don't remember the trains running that fast when I was there.  I remember being told by Teddy to operate trains at something approaching a scale speed and to do smooth starts and stops - within the limits of the mechanisms.  Some were proprietary, others were kit built and they did not all run perfectly smoothly.

David

Hmm very good, we all used to run our trains at that speed way back then most of the time it was to carry them over sticky sections of track so they wouldn't stall. Mind you it looked like one or two of them were slipping there way round but then with seven Triang clerestory's with there plastic wheels and coarse bearings hanging on the back of the loco you cant blame them really. Great stuff all the same thanks

... I remember being told by Teddy to operate trains at something approaching a scale speed and to do smooth starts and stops - within the limits of the mechanisms.  Some were proprietary, others were kit built and they did not all run perfectly smoothly.

That level of performance on a home layout would be in the 'aspirational' bracket in 1967. A few years before I had seen 'Havil' of the De Havs MRC for the first time and was seriously impressed at the running which was in much the same category. Smooth and slow progress was possible with a long freight, or during a realistic platform stop by a passenger train.  

As a teenager back in the mid 70's I was a visitor on several occasions, it was just 30 mins on my trusty Raleigh bike to the vicarage. I spotted the late Bob Symes once, running trains half hidden by the scenery. Rev Awdry was another regular as well, Rev Teddy Boston could also be spotted out on his traction engine with soot covered dog collar regularly. Near by Hinckley had a traction engine rally which he always attended too. I seem to remember the railway not lasting long after he died.

Thanks for posting the video, which I greatly enjoyed.

A childhood visit was a great influence upon me.  One day, I too will be able to run a complete 24-hour timetable for the South Devon Mainline in the mid-thirties!

Archived