Ridham & Queenborough Trips 2010 & 2014

With a spare hour to kill in the Sittingbourne area last week I thought I'd take a look at some of kents remaining industrial railways.

All the photos were taken from public footpaths and land.

First up, Ridham. I had heard this line was in use, but clearly that isn't the case. The last recorded pic I have of its use was in 1993.

The reception loop ...

post-7154-126865825358_thumb.jpg

The line back towards the mill at Kemsley (from the Saxon Shore Way) ...

post-7154-126865828805_thumb.jpg

Ridham Dock engine shed ...

post-7154-126865832738_thumb.jpg

Next up, some photos of the Istil works at Queenborough. Again, all pics were taken from public land.

Looking back towards Queenborough from the spit ...

post-7154-126865844837_thumb.jpg

Looking round the bend in the spit at some of the crazy track!!!

post-7154-126865848446_thumb.jpg

A general view of the yard next to the pier. The public footpath stops here and the camera was on max zoom so unfortunatly I couldn't get any better detail ...

post-7154-126865855473_thumb.jpg

Back in Queenborough, this is the loco shed as taken from the road. I counted four locos, all ex-MOD Hunslet-Barclays dating from the mid-60's. I believe these replaced the Drewry 04s the line originally used ...

post-7154-126865864028_thumb.jpg

A view inside the steel mill from the road crossing ...

post-7154-126865868125_thumb.jpg

Some of the ex-BR wagons used to haul the steel from the pier to the mill ...

post-7154-126865872127_thumb.jpg

The mainline connection from Queenborough station. Not sure this connection gets used any more, but i blieve the small loop is required to get locos to and from the shed ...

post-7154-126865879294_thumb.jpg

Sadly I ran out of time before I could get some snaps of the nearby car terminal.

Are there still derelict ancient condemned wagons around there, Queenborough Shipbreakers area? Or are they long gone?

The only wagons I saw were the bogie bolsters used for moving the steel. They all looked used to me, although a little rough around the edges.

With a spare hour to kill in the Sittingbourne area last week I thought I'd take a look at some of kents remaining industrial railways.

All the photos were taken from public footpaths and land.

First up, Ridham. I had heard this line was in use, but clearly that isn't the case. The last recorded pic I have of its use was in 1993.

The reception loop ...

post-7154-126865825358_thumb.jpg

The line back towards the mill at Kemsley (from the Saxon Shore Way) ...

post-7154-126865828805_thumb.jpg

Ridham Dock engine shed ...

post-7154-126865832738_thumb.jpg

There was inbound plasterboard traffic in Transfesa vans to Ridham Dock within the last five years or so.

Guest oldlugger

First rate photos Jack; these will provide loads of inspiration for my Kent industrial challenge layout. Do you have any more?

Many thanks for posting these

Simon

Hi Jack,

Thankyou for such detailed photo's of an area that I used to work in, with EWS freight trains when I was a guard ( 1994 to 1998 ), and then after becoming a Driver ( 1998 onwards ).

As a guard we used to work into and out of Ridham with a Class 58 and MGR coal wagons.

I don't remember how many, but we would arrive in the down direction and the Loco would arrive near the Kingsferry bridge and come to a stand. The train would then set back to clear the points, on the authority of the up direction main aspect, controlled from Sittingbourne box, before I would open the ground frame and allow the train to drive in and place the wagons. These were actually the VERY first trains they let me loose with as a newby Trainman 'D' !

As for the mainline connection into what we called 'Queenborough Shipbreakers', next to Queenborough Station, we were using this fairly regularly in around 94-97(?) as we would drop off or collect BDA/BRA/BYA wagons as required with a class 56 which was at the time engaged on enterprise operations in the area, with the daily 6O75/6S76 etc to or from Wembley/Mossad.

6O75 would arrive at Sittingbourne and the 56' would shunt out the 'woods shed' and the china clay paper mill place 'CGA' tanks, ( kent paper? ) then nip round to 'the island' to drop off and also collect from Queenborough Shipbreakers and Sheerness, using the 'Westminster Straight'.

The wagons collected would be re-marshalled in Queenborough Yard and depart as 6S76, but we would get relieved en-route at Hither Green, after storming up Sole Street bank with anything up to the equivalent of 22 x Loaded BDA's !!!!!

One particular colleague hates anything other than Class 37's so was always kind enough to let me drive !!!

Finally, when EWS was in it's heyday and stuck a name on absolutely ANYTHING, they put a sign up on the gate that takes you into Queenborough freight yard...........BUT, they spelt it QUEENSBOROUGH and REALLY upset the locals !!!

Anyways,

Hope this is of interest............as your photo's have been for me, Thanks again........

Dave

Thanks for the extra info. I can't believe there was traffic into Ridham as little as 5 years ago, the place looked so desolate ...

Unfortunately ( for HG men ) the workload transfered to Hoo Junction crews a number of years ago, so, although my dates may be slightly out, Ridham did still have traffic 'fairly' recently.

If I'm honest, I miss it.............was a good, regular job with a decent Loco.

One of my favourite things was going through Chatham station at around 5am on full bore and watching the grown, male 'suits' putting their fingers in their poor, delicate, little ears because of the ROAR !!!!!!!!!!

Mmmmmm...........memories indeed !!!!

Dave

• 4 years later...

Sadly it would appear this industrial gem is no more.  It closed last year and the kit was auctioned off.  The track has been lifted and the land covered with more quality housing ...

... very annoying as I was hoping to get back up there soon to get some more pics.  Even more annoying, the Barclay shunters were sold for 9-12k each (would look great in the garden) ;)

At least you have a record of the Barclay diesels on site for posterity, Jack.  Sadly it looks as though one has gone to Booth's (presumably for scrap) and the rest into store at Long Marston.

Unless I've missed an update somewhere, there may still be a locomotive out of use at Ridham.

Your trip has brought back fond memories of a similar excursion my colleagues and I did in the late 80's to research a layout the Hull MRS wanted to build based on Queenborough. The subsequent EM layout was "Rushenden (Metals) Ltd. which we exhibited from 1990 to 1997 at some 27 shows.

I seem to recall there was one of the locos in the fleet with a "taxi" sign on it's bonnet. A souvenir of a collision it had with a local taxi who would not stop on the ungated crossing adjacent  to the rolling mills.

Thank you. John Wass

Unless I've missed an update somewhere, there may still be a locomotive out of use at Ridham.

Hopefully there will be time and dry weather later in the week for a ride up there on the motorbike.  Will remember to take the camera.

Your trip has brought back fond memories of a similar excursion my colleagues and I did in the late 80's to research a layout the Hull MRS wanted to build based on Queenborough. The subsequent EM layout was "Rushenden (Metals) Ltd. which we exhibited from 1990 to 1997 at some 27 shows.

I think I recall the layout, will have to have a hunt round for some pictures of it. It was on one of the earlier versions of RMWeb wasn't it?

Managed a return trip this afternoon inbetween the showers.  I'll try and put the pics in the same order as the OP, although I wasn't quite standing at the same spots ...

Firstly, Ridham.  The only changes appear to be the extra undergrowth and the damage caused by rabbits.  I can't see a loco getting down here safely as most of the trackbed is riddled with warrens.  The sleepers are looking pretty rotten too.  However, aside from nature reclaiming her own very little has changed in 4 years.

This isn't actually the reception loop, but the dockyard loop (the reception loop is actually on a curve nearer the bridge).

post-7154-0-36649200-1399486423_thumb.jpg

The line to Kemsley.

post-7154-0-75178900-1399486547_thumb.jpg

Ridham Dockyard engine shed

post-7154-0-18467400-1399486607_thumb.jpg

In addition to the original pics, I managed a bit more of a walk this time.

The junction.  The loop to Ridham is straight ahead, the line to Kemsley heads off to the right

post-7154-0-28010700-1399486727_thumb.jpg

The reception loop, looking back towards the docks

post-7154-0-99439700-1399486767_thumb.jpg

The link with the mainline between Sittingbourne and Sheerness (just south of the bridge).  I believe the dockyard line has been out of use for about 20 years, so thats a long time for this signal to be showing red!!

post-7154-0-71683700-1399486837_thumb.jpg

And now for Queenborough.  I have to say that even the skylark's sounded melancholy as I walked around.  Its a shame as this line really was a gem in our industrial railway heritage - quite the throw back to how industrial railways used to be.

Looking back towards Queenborough ...

post-7154-0-93378500-1399487014_thumb.jpg

Not quite the location of the crazy track in the OP, but this is the same direction, showing the encroachment of the verges.

post-7154-0-10925900-1399487087_thumb.jpg

Looking into the yard.  From what I could tell demolition of the pier was also underway.

post-7154-0-06925800-1399487167_thumb.jpg

The engine shed, devoid of track and locos

post-7154-0-90093100-1399487230_thumb.jpg

The steel mill from the road, now well fenced off.  The mill is in the process of demolition.  A notice on the opposite side of the road suggests the rebuilding work will start at the end of May.  Even the footpath which follows the line is due to disappear.

post-7154-0-91675500-1399487338_thumb.jpg

The road crossing and two minor crossings are all thats left of the line.  I'd imagine that by the end of this year there will be no trace at all ...

post-7154-0-34469600-1399487472_thumb.jpg

Sadly I was unable to get any pics at Queenborough station due to a hoard of unruely school kids descending on the station.  Will try and get back there some time.

I seem to recall there was one of the locos in the fleet with a "taxi" sign on it's bonnet. A souvenir of a collision it had with a local taxi who would not stop on the ungated crossing adjacent  to the rolling mills.

Thank you. John Wass

When you did your research trip, did you take any pics?  Would be good to see what the line was like when it was worked by 04's.

When you did your research trip, did you take any pics?  Would be good to see what the line was like when it was worked by 04's.

We certainly did, although we were more interested in the buildings but here are a couple of scans of the locos.

post-276-0-54895300-1399492688.jpg

I am a dead man for using the next photo, although ChrisH won't mind, it shows him with dark hair. I cannot say too much about Rippers however!

post-276-0-11542100-1399492804_thumb.jpg

There are more and if Rippers is still taking to me, I'll get some from him. Oh and there is a badly strained copy of the O.S.map.

John.

We certainly did, although we were more interested in the buildings but here are a couple of scans of the locos.

attachicon.gif2A.JPG

I am a dead man for using the next photo, although ChrisH won't mind, it shows him with dark hair. I cannot say too much about Rippers however!

attachicon.gif9A.JPG

There are more and if Rippers is still taking to me, I'll get some from him. Oh and there is a badly strained copy of the O.S.map.

John.

Superb pics judge dread I've got a Bachmann class 03 sat on the workbench hoping to model it as one of queenborough locos as well as a few 16t mineral wagons to detail and weather up as a few internal user wagons for a current shunting plank I'm building based around the line.

Many thanks

Mophead

• 2 years later...

I've been thinking lately that the Ridham link and the land north of Kemsley Paper Mill might be useful for the NRM if they want a southern outpost  :onthequiet:

Not sure this Government wants to spend more on any of its museums!

I've a collection of photos taken around the Queenborough area http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/queenboroughsheerness Not sure why there are none of the scrap wagon locos, probably didn't want to waste film.  

Paul

Archived