The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

Agree with that advice Andy until you have constructed a 7km layout one never knows what you are going to feel. You might miss the longer trains a that you have enjoyed in 4mm scale and the more open ended scene that it can create. If like me you will get more into the prototype operational side of running trains giving more attention to signalling etc and adding car greater detail into everything surrounding the track . Best of luck and enjoy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Paul, and first of all sorry I missed the Start of this thread.

I think like me, you need to hang on to some if not all of the 4mm stuff, at least until the 7mm Layout is built, there would be noting worse that suddenly finding that you don't have the room for a 7mm layout that your satisfied with. I have built 2 / 3 7mm Layouts previously and really enjoyed them both but reverted to 4mm so it's not out of the question and so I say hang on to at least your favourites.

Any way nice Thread and looking forward to seeing your Layout ideas develop mate.

Are you or anyone going to the Manchester Show on Sat 3rd? we could meet up, I'm going up with George T.

EDIT = BTW meant to say, your not the only one who keeps starting and stopping OO Threads mate, ahhah, I've done it again.

Haha Brian did say I'll have more threads than you soon ;)

Thanks Andy if I can escape for the day I'll let you know about the Manchester show unfortunately though swmbo seems to of have weekend booked up for us both in the build up to Christmas :( if it's free though, which I doubt I'll bribe her with the Christmas markets and it would be great to meet up. I'll try and catch her in a good mood later and let joy know ;)

I'll defo be keeping one or two 4mm but a lot of it will go to fund playing with the big boys.

Thanks again

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Agree with that advice Andy until you have constructed a 7km layout one never knows what you are going to feel. You might miss the longer trains a that you have enjoyed in 4mm scale and the more open ended scene that it can create. If like me you will get more into the prototype operational side of running trains giving more attention to signalling etc and adding car greater detail into everything surrounding the track . Best of luck and enjoy

To be honest I could never see myself getting to the stage of full length trains as much as I would love to, since deciding to go 7mm I just feel more relaxed about the whole thing, just taking my time to get the little details spot on.

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to grab a quick 30 minutes so I've been putting various crudely drawn plans down whilst looking on the net for ideas.

As I've mentioned earlier I don't know how much room I'll eventually end up with but I'm hoping eventually I'll have at least a garage length to play with, so I'm going with that working in 4' sections for ease of transportation just incase I'm ever invited out to exhibit it ;) (hahaha).

So this was my first plan (not to scale)

Based on my Wavertree depot plan

7A212192-B6A1-4CD2-827B-C622CF6092A1_zps

But my first track building would just concentrate on this area

A713A8CC-B3EF-4027-9557-F782360CC7A5_zps

One problem I do find is I prefer to model real locations only because I struggle with planning as I never seem to get it to look right maybe I'm to fussy.

I did come across this though, Kings cross fuelling and stabling point looks an interesting set up, again a crudely draw copy of it, mmm wonder how much space that would take up??

C2F51613-F0D4-4921-B331-49EA9668EAD9_zps

I'll keep doodling away an see what looks good.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Paul I know you said you will be building your own track, but if you work on the dimensions that a Peco point in 0 gauge is 17.75" long, it gives you an idea how the space soon gets eaten up in 7mm

Craig

I agree, (do you want to buy some points back)? hahhahah.

Mine is 17.5ft long, :nono: LET ME RE PHRASE THAT, :O  My Shed is 17.5ft long, and with a 6ft Sector plate I'm looking to rationalise.

Have a look at Exeter St Davis Depot, part of the original walling is still there despite the new Sheds, Gooooooooogle Earth shows it really well. I've drawn it out in OO, Oh dear, that's another idea for my ''OO'' Westerns and Warships :no:  :no: :no:  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul I know you said you will be building your own track, but if you work on the dimensions that a Peco point in 0 gauge is 17.75" long, it gives you an idea how the space soon gets eaten up in 7mm

Craig

Paul,

I'd totally agree with Craig. Obviously Templot (or whatever you use) will give you some flexibility but I say 18" for the average point, 36" for a crossover and 24" for a double/single slip.

Also bear in mind that a Class 37 is 18", Class 20 is 14" and class 40 is 20" long although I've added an extra inch to each end to allow plenty of space. Remember also where two stabling roads converge on a point you need a good 6" between the point and the end of the first Loco to allow one to pass on the other road, especially with overhang if the road curves.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought as well ... if you are working things out, look at the plan of Marsh Lane which is on page 12, 13 or 14 of my thread that is all working on an 8' length scenic area. Might give you some thoughts as to what you can get on a 4' board.

Just don't get disheartened when you realise you need more space than you thought!

Rich

Regarding your second track plan on a curve, you could plonk a glass roof parcels depot over three of the terminal tracks except the lowest long siding and the two top sidings via the double slip. Your 08 would be used to cut down on exhaust fumes (as at Oldham Clegg Street Parcels Depot built in 1960) and move wagons, vans and GUV's etc around for unloading, then remove them to be stored in the siding outside the building.  You could buy a Class 25 or whatever to tow your empties or loaded vans away down the mainline off stage....

post-6680-0-46421900-1480008548_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I've managed to grab a quick 30 minutes so I've been putting various crudely drawn plans down whilst looking on the net for ideas.

As I've mentioned earlier I don't know how much room I'll eventually end up with but I'm hoping eventually I'll have at least a garage length to play with, so I'm going with that working in 4' sections for ease of transportation just incase I'm ever invited out to exhibit it ;) (hahaha).

So this was my first plan (not to scale)

Based on my Wavertree depot plan

7A212192-B6A1-4CD2-827B-C622CF6092A1_zps

I'll keep doodling away an see what looks good.

Cheers

I like this first idea as it remind`s of the overbridge just before (what was) Saltley depot here in Brum..

post-19751-0-03542500-1480009126_thumb.jpg

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks fellas for the feedback and ideas especially the sizes of the locos that's a real help. Although I can't use it I have got Templar so I might just print out some turnouts in various sizes and have a play around :) I'm also thinking I nights have a play with the 4mm flexi an locos then if I double it I'll get a rough size of things.

If I had the space I think I'd be tempted with Kings Cross loco, but I recon you'd need a good 6' with interesting plan though.

I think I've edging towards my first plan though with maybe one or two tweaks, but whatever I go with I want it to be able to be extended in the future ;)

Problem is everytime I see a different depot whilst searching for pics I get other ideas. (Copying a prototype is far easier :O )

Thanks again everyone

• RMweb Gold

Have you considered an industrial railway? Trafford park at the end of its life was operated by two Gronks over lots of interesting trackage. Sometimes trains ran with one wagon top and tailed by two 08s!

I like my mainline locos unfortunately which won't be good for the wallet in this scale :O

Thanks again mate

Paul

That 0 gauge 47 looks and sounds really good. Though I'm surprised you didn't notice that by Swallow era it should have fixed lamps at the No 2 end (it was a repainted early green model, so wouldn't have had them when bought new).

About Kings Cross. Remember I looked at KX myself- it is quite big even if you do go for just the stabling point, as others have said. At the SW corner there is a very interesting single slip that would be great to build in S7. I still have the Templot plan I made and it's really rather large- and that was just in 1:76. (shame I am too lazy to try and build it).

Have you seen 'the siding' on here? It is just two roads joined by a single symmetrical turnout. It might sound a bit basic but it's really quite well done with lots of detail. Worthy of a look.

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

If you can give me an idea of the length of each siding, i.e. What you want it to hold, I'll have a go at doing KX in Templit for you. Not a master at all, but enough to get by!

Rich

Tempted by a Dapol gronk - but they didn't get to Colorado !!! (see layout thread below).

If I did, I would build an ultra small layout. I remember a siding back in the 70's serving Lion Emulsions (now Colas) at Loushers Lane Warrington, usually a few black tanks parked there. The siding continued under Loushers lane and terminated at a small scrapyard, just one or two tatty mineral wagons, would make a nice layout. (The siding once continued to Greenalls brewery). No points required - the scrap wagons could only be got at by removing the tanks, usually by an 08.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.3780&lon=-2.5816&layers=6&b=1

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.3788&lon=-2.5822&layers=10&b=1

Slide to present view & see the current Colas plant, alas no longer rail served.

Not warrington but similar to what I have in mind

Class%2008%20between%20Bowling%20&%20Lai

Brit15

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Paul

That 0 gauge 47 looks and sounds really good. Though I'm surprised you didn't notice that by Swallow era it should have fixed lamps at the No 2 end (it was a repainted early green model, so wouldn't have had them when bought new).

About Kings Cross. Remember I looked at KX myself- it is quite big even if you do go for just the stabling point, as others have said. At the SW corner there is a very interesting single slip that would be great to build in S7. I still have the Templot plan I made and it's really rather large- and that was just in 1:76. (shame I am too lazy to try and build it).

Have you seen 'the siding' on here? It is just two roads joined by a single symmetrical turnout. It might sound a bit basic but it's really quite well done with lots of detail. Worthy of a look.

Give it a go in S7 Derek you know you want to and you've got the space :D I'll take a look at 'The siding' it sounds very interesting cheers mate :)

• RMweb Gold

And mine arrived today too, must be a 'gronk' rush!

The challenge is to get the unnumbered version looking like this, spot the changes necessary!

attachicon.gif08395sp.jpg

Now that's a nice dirty 08!! I'm hopefully going to have the sound chip in the next couple of weeks so I'm going to hold out on the weathering until I've fitted that. Normally I'm wanting to rush in and get everything done at once but I'm that relaxed about the whole thing I'm happy just waiting until I've done everything in the right order, I can't wait though.

Thanks for the pic mate it's very inspirational.

Cheers

• Like 1

Tempted by a Dapol gronk - but they didn't get to Colorado !!! (see layout thread below).

If I did, I would build an ultra small layout. I remember a siding back in the 70's serving Lion Emulsions (now Colas) at Loushers Lane Warrington, usually a few black tanks parked there. The siding continued under Loushers lane and terminated at a small scrapyard, just one or two tatty mineral wagons, would make a nice layout. (The siding once continued to Greenalls brewery). No points required - the scrap wagons could only be got at by removing the tanks, usually by an 08.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.3780&lon=-2.5816&layers=6&b=1

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.3788&lon=-2.5822&layers=10&b=1

Slide to present view & see the current Colas plant, alas no longer rail served.

Not warrington but similar to what I have in mind

Class%2008%20between%20Bowling%20&%20Lai

Brit15

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

If you can give me an idea of the length of each siding, i.e. What you want it to hold, I'll have a go at doing KX in Templit for you. Not a master at all, but enough to get by!

Rich

What length where they in real life, maybe we could build a board each and build the whole thing :D I think the inlet/outlet could only hold one loco in real life, I know if I go with one of my ideas I'd like any headshunt long enough to hold at least two 40's.

Cheers for that mate much appreciated;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I did, I would build an ultra small layout. I remember a siding back in the 70's serving Lion Emulsions (now Colas) at Loushers Lane Warrington, usually a few black tanks parked there. The siding continued under Loushers lane and terminated at a small scrapyard, just one or two tatty mineral wagons, would make a nice layout. (The siding once continued to Greenalls brewery). No points required - the scrap wagons could only be got at by removing the tanks, usually by an 08.http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.3780&lon=-2.5816&layers=6&b=1http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.3788&lon=-2.5822&layers=10&b=1

Not warrington but similar to what I have in mindClass%2008%20between%20Bowling%20&%20Lai

Brit15

There was quite a few rail served scrap yards there was one right by Kirkdale station with trip workings to Kirkby usually with an 08 great stuff, there's a pic on Flickr but just can't find it at the moment.

Cheers

• Like 2

Brit15

I vaguely remember that crossing by Greenall's as a kid, when did that get lifted?

Probably in the 50's or 60's. Certainly gone when I started to work in Warrington around 1973. The scrap yard mentioned went in the late 70's, siding cut back to Colas (once Lion Emulsions) & lasted till mid 80's or so.

Brit15