The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

Er....Noooooo.... Behave!  :mosking: I have Corporate blue in mind because the diesel-era had developed a character all of it's own by the mid 1970's, in fact 1976 marked the beginning of my revived interest in the railway scene following a 12 year absence. Funny Hour means changing periods completely, but I still have a steam era layout to build yet.

I first got into Railways both real and Model in early 77, (that's 1977 NOT 1877) and my first Railway Modeller was August 77 with Norris's O Gauge Bromford and High Peak.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having spent the last couple of days getting excited about the new arrival and sorting out my em/4mm collection thoughts have returned to whstvto I run my new beasts on!

I am really swaying towards Buxton as the head shunt to the fuel storage siding and the two roads to the shed could easily be made as a small layout with the rest added as space permits including the station with great operational prospects and dmu's, but talking with Steve I might need a mansion as it's quite long. King x however nice and sort but fat :( mmm bit like me.

Should I toss a coin??

• RMweb Gold

Having spent the last couple of days getting excited about the new arrival and sorting out my em/4mm collection thoughts have returned to whstvto I run my new beasts on!

I am really swaying towards Buxton as the head shunt to the fuel storage siding and the two roads to the shed could easily be made as a small layout with the rest added as space permits including the station with great operational prospects and dmu's, but talking with Steve I might need a mansion as it's quite long. King x however nice and sort but fat :( mmm bit like me.

Should I toss a coin??

I know your looking to work with 4ft long boards ... but what length/width do you NOT want the final version to exceed?  That may help narrow things down!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rich I'm working on the average garage size maybe so 19-20' long although I did get promised a man shed the other year when we eventually move :/

I did a couple of quick sketches this morning Of how either one could be started as smaller layouts that can be added to.

DC8170CB-1C68-4E3F-8D9D-935C46B5D3F0_zps

Buxton is pretty straightforward but I think Kings X would have to be straightened out a bit.

2a is how it is with 2b showing it with less width.

Both are doable and both have pros and cons, I'll try and do a list today.

Cheers

Personally I think Buxton is the better option, but it's your choice.

Who's to say either of them should be nailed down to where they actually were. Choose the design then make up a ficticious location for it to suit your motive power interests.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rich I'm working on the average garage size maybe so 19-20' long although I did get promised a man shed the other year when we eventually move :/

I did a couple of quick sketches this morning Of how either one could be started as smaller layouts that can be added to.

DC8170CB-1C68-4E3F-8D9D-935C46B5D3F0_zps

Buxton is pretty straightforward but I think Kings X would have to be straightened out a bit.

2a is how it is with 2b showing it with less width.

Both are doable and both have pros and cons, I'll try and do a list today.

Cheers

Ok and are you working on 2' wide boards?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok and are you working on 2' wide boards?

Yes mate think KX fits into 3' could be totally wrong though.

Thanks Jinty, problem is when I start designing my own I get carried away, so I like to take the safe option of a proper location, I have thought about using the b st bits of both though.

I like the dirty, oily, diesel smelling compact feel of KX with tight loco movements etc but the country feel to Buxton, even though the complete opposite really appeals to. Buxton however offers the option of dmus and a few stores wagons visiting the depot.

Both KX fuel shed and Buxtons two road depot would both be great to scratch build to. Either way both fuelling points can be modelled as a smaller layout as mentioned above, Buxton being interesting as there is the footpath right behind the tanks.

Thanks fellas

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My twopennorth fwiw:

KX, for reasons stated earlier :yes:

KX would also lend itself to your wonderful weathering, Buxton's far too clean.

Thanks Andy I've found one dirty loco ;)

https://flic.kr/p/9ta7v1

But this is a very appealing scene

https://flic.kr/p/ejqcG4

https://flic.kr/p/kCt6dP

I have found some interesting pics of Buxton on this link though

http://www.sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/aaprint/bux.html

Also been having another doodle based on KX and it's apparent why I prefer to copy prototypes, I'm not cut out for designing layouts.

D71F12F4-798F-4B9B-9D60-3C4EBA99858F_zps

Thanks again

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Yes mate think KX fits into 3' could be totally wrong though.

I like the dirty, oily, diesel smelling compact feel of KX with tight loco movements etc but the country feel to Buxton, even though the complete opposite really appeals to. Buxton however offers the option of dmus and a few stores wagons visiting the depot.

Both KX fuel shed and Buxtons two road depot would both be great to scratch build to. Either way both fuelling points can be modelled as a smaller layout as mentioned above, Buxton being interesting as there is the footpath right behind the tanks.

Have you thought about London (Buxton Road) :) Take the best bits of both! I have a play in Templot and see what will fit of the KGX, at least then you've some idea as to what is what.

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers fellas only just sat down but spent most of the day in work thnking over what I want (sorry to Brian for all the 'what you recon' texts).

I've been fiddling around with the Kings X plan but the only difference I'm coming up with is moving the fuelling point, but then I'd have to get rid of the fuelling shed which is I nice building to model even though I prefer an open fuelling point myself.

Also been thinking of ways to give Buxton that urban grime feel but again nothing is gumping out, like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it and to be honest both locations don't need fixing.

So although I'm going around in circles it's keeping me busy and stopping me from buying more locos ;) I just have to decide do I want urban gloom and grit with Deltic drone or do I want the sound of birds and whistlers, country air and the smell of diesel.

Think I'll see what locos are for sale ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So although I'm going around in circles it's keeping me busy and stopping me from buying more locos ;) I just have to decide do I want urban gloom and grit with Deltic drone or do I want the sound of birds and whistlers, country air and the smell of diesel.

Think I'll see what locos are for sale ;)

Without wishing to be a damp squid, and it's entirely up to you mate, it's your layout ... But isn't that a case of the tail wagging the dog! Would you not be best deciding what you want from a layout, locos, period, style etc.. And then looking round for locos that fit with it? There's no rush you know :)

Rich

• Like 1

No worries mate lol

My thoughts lol

You've always fancied railways around Liverpool so do a Liverpool version of the kings cross scenario

But instead of having all the tracks going into the entry exit roads on scene,surround it with retaining walls stick a bridge across and feed multiple tracks coming on scene under the bridge from a traverser or sector plate it'll save you space and pointwork (longer on scene roads ) you'll get the cramped ,urban grot that you like with the locos you want

That's just my thoughts lol you may want something totally different lol

Brian

• Like 1

P.s I would have texted that but the mrs has been out and I've just got my phone back lol

No worries mate lol

My thoughts lol

You've always fancied railways around Liverpool so do a Liverpool version of the kings cross scenario

But instead of having all the tracks going into the entry exit roads on scene,surround it with retaining walls stick a bridge across and feed multiple tracks coming on scene under the bridge from a traverser or sector plate it'll save you space and pointwork (longer on scene roads ) you'll get the cramped ,urban grot that you like with the locos you want

That's just my thoughts lol you may want something totally different lol

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Without wishing to be a damp squid, and it's entirely up to you mate, it's your layout ... But isn't that a case of the tail wagging the dog! Would you not be best deciding what you want from a layout, locos, period, style etc.. And then looking round for locos that fit with it? There's no rush you know :)

Rich

Totally get you rich, I'll be totally honest here I want what they both offer that's why I'm struggling, I've been trying to plan a stabling point for years we're diesels shunt around to fuel etc (I was spoilt as I spent most my youth watching the goings on at Crewe MPD). I've spent most the last EW days comparing photos on Flickr of the two.

I keep looking at this pic and it really appeals

https://flic.kr/p/kCt6dP

I also like the tunnels as it reminds me of lime street and seeing the lights of approaching locos but it's a big project even if it's not the biggest size wise. My heart is saying KX but my sensible side or brain (have I got one of them??) is saying Buxton for it's simplicity and the future prospects of adding the station at a later date, even better with the rtr dmu's on the horizon.

As for locos and period etc I want a mid to late 60's depot/fuel/stabling point with the mix of green an blue diesels, as for locos I love them all apart from Westerns sorry western fans, so all boxes ticked with both.

Sorry I'm rambling now, good news is the big 40 is in the post :) but will I hold out till Christmas to open it??

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

P.s I would have texted that but the mrs has been out and I've just got my phone back lol

Cheers mate an no worries I've thought about that and Lime street did have a turntable in the tunnels but the area was only small, could I use modellers license and make this bigger with a fuel stabling point?

Great idea bri expect a txt or ten ;)

• Like 1

As for locos and period etc I want a mid to late 60's depot/fuel/stabling point with the mix of green an blue diesels, as for locos I love them all apart from Westerns sorry western fans, so all boxes ticked with both.

Thanks again

For you it`s Western`s.....me, it`s Deltic`s arrrr....they sound too much like a washing machine  during the spin cycle !!. :D  

Brian.