Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

Excellent. I'm impressed at this much progress in just a couple of months. It already seems full of appropriate atmosphere and I can almost hear the flat brummy vowels (I was born there!) .

It's obviously a bit longer than CJF's plan so  I'd be interested to know the overall dimensions and are the points medium or long?

• Like 2

Cheers, it is located in a basement in the West Midlands!!!

I have two station boards 122cm by 40cm, they are joined by metal things and each platform is isolated with switches so I can use the pilot to pull the stock back...(it's DC only).

The corner section is 100cm by 110cm and the cassettes are 135cm long, enough for a four coach semi fast and a loco.

I did originally plan to have a further foot at each end and to model a U layout so that I could have a bigger fiddleyard and run Five coach trains but... life got in the way!

The basement is 14ft by 12ft.

Point work is mainly all Peco SL-91 and SL-92 so short radius, if I made it again I would use medium radius...

The track is all Peco flex code 100 with tracksettas so there's nothing less than 30inch and mainly 36 inch radius.

Glad you like it, next week I will add more :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The idea is not that far fetched. The remnants of the real Hope Street lie just to the south of Birmingham city centre about half a mile from what could have become the GCR route from Marylebone to Moor Street.

The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway had its eyes on reaching Birmingham when the original North Warwickshire line proposal was approved in 1894. The MS&L purchased a large shareholding in the permanently financially broke E&WJR in 1893.  Its idea was to promote doubling of the E&WJR from Stratford-upon-Avon to a new junction with the MS&L London Extension near Woodford Halse, thus giving a route from London to Birmingham which was 10 miles shorter than the GWR via Oxford. The plan faltered when the GCR, as the MS&L had then become, did a deal with the GWR over access to London. The GWR stepped in and took over the North Warwickshire project in 1900. By the time construction started the independent route from Hall Green to Moor Street via Sparkbrook had been abandoned in favour of joining the GWR line at Tyseley.

The idea is not that far fetched. The remnants of the real Hope Street lie just to the south of Birmingham city centre about half a mile from what could have become the GCR route from Marylebone to Moor Street.

The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway had its eyes on reaching Birmingham when the original North Warwickshire line proposal was approved in 1894. The MS&L purchased a large shareholding in the permanently financially broke E&WJR in 1893. Its idea was to promote doubling of the E&WJR from Stratford-upon-Avon to a new junction with the MS&L London Extension near Woodford Halse, thus giving a route from London to Birmingham which was 10 miles shorter than the GWR via Oxford. The plan faltered when the GCR, as the MS&L had then become, did a deal with the GWR over access to London. The GWR stepped in and took over the North Warwickshire project in 1900. By the time construction started the independent route from Hall Green to Moor Street via Sparkbrook had been abandoned in favour of joining the GWR line at Tyseley.

Is this related to the unfinished viaduct near small heath?

Thanks for the kind words,

The timetable idea developed off the minories threads-several ppl have contributedvides/corrected my bad thinking!

I have dry run the time table with blank cards standing in for the locos I haven't yet got... and the semi fast stock being one four coach ex LMS p3 rake and one BR MK1 rake...

It's shown where the gaps are and where the fleet can be expanded, it also shows that come rush hour even this small terminus gets busy and congested with arrivals being held at the signal the other side of the bridge, whilst the departure clears! It also shows what a genius CJF was as the layout is challenging to plan the arrivals and departures!

I'm still working out the timings but based on the suggestions it's:

3hrs semi fast to London

1hr roughly dmu to traverse the line (would be to Woodford Hales)

1.25 hr roughly for the suburban

I may add more more workings when my finances have allowed for more stock, for example a semi fast to Nottingham Victoria?

Progress will slow down now until Christmas due to me burning inkjet varnish at s huge rate!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is this related to the unfinished viaduct near small heath?

No, that one was to do with the politics of the Grand Junction, London & Birmingham and Birmingham & Oxford Junction. Captain Huish, the Chairman of the Grand Junction, wanted an amalgamation with the L&B to give a direct route from London to Manchester and Liverpool. Possibly to force the issue he courted the B&OJR, part of the GWR camp, with promises of through services from Paddington to Manchester. This persuded the L&B to join with the Grand Junction and Liverpool & Manchester to form the LNWR. Huish insisted that the B&OJR Duddeston Viaduct was still built even though he had no intention of letting Paddington have access to his empire. 

• RMweb Premium

It's shown where the gaps are and where the fleet can be expanded, it also shows that come rush hour even this small terminus gets busy and congested with arrivals being held at the signal the other side of the bridge, whilst the departure clears! It also shows what a genius CJF was as the layout is challenging to plan the arrivals and departures!

I found that too, when I drew up a timetable for my layout.  I thought I'd got too much rolling stock(!), but I found I hadn't got enough parcels train vehicles to make up the three parcels trains I'd scheduled during the day differently from each other!  Do you run it to a clock, or are the times just there to give an indication of what time of day it is?

No, that one was to do with the politics of the Grand Junction, London & Birmingham and Birmingham & Oxford Junction. Captain Huish, the Chairman of the Grand Junction, wanted an amalgamation with the L&B to give a direct route from London to Manchester and Liverpool. Possibly to force the issue he courted the B&OJR, part of the GWR camp, with promises of through services from Paddington to Manchester. This persuded the L&B to join with the Grand Junction and Liverpool & Manchester to form the LNWR. Huish insisted that the B&OJR Duddeston Viaduct was still built even though he had no intention of letting Paddington have access to his empire.

Many thanks for the explanation

Thank you for the kind words, I have only run the timetable through once on a day off! ATM due to lack of stock/funds and the layout not being finished (and family) I haven't had a full day to run it to a clock...

I definitely agree on the stock front, when you start thinking about the fact a train will run up or down the line and have to be turned etc it does show that a lot more stock and motive power is required! I guess you can see how BR had issues....

I have also considered a more extensive parcels service and given time it will be present, I guess dmus are an easy way to increase workings :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It does now you mention it, there's about six points it controls and four signal posts do you know how big it should be? The points in the diary will be ground frame

I will try to have a look later at how many levers would be needed. Spacing is between 4" and 6" per lever depending on the company and era when it was built. On top of that a bit at each end.

• RMweb Gold

I think you could get away with a 20 lever frame, so 7' on 4" centres. Your box looks to be about 12' so not out of the question. It does assume that only there is nothing more than the minories layout controlled from the box.

Paul.

It does now you mention it, there's about six points it controls and four signal posts do you know how big it should be? The points in the diary will be ground frame

This maybe more in keeping with what you need, it's a Great Central box from the London Extension (Loughborough)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bachmann+Great+Central+signal+box&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=939&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL5NO4h-fQAhXkLcAKHduOC-sQsAQIGQ

• Like 1