Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

St Ives - Swavesey

LNERGE

When was the line between St Ives & Swavesey singled? We are pretty sure it was done in connection with the condition of bridge 2272 but was the line still a through route to March? We have this box diagram and i've seen enough evidence to believe the layout was altered to match this diagram though i still can't account for the right hand being the way it is.

Hello LNERGE

Here is the gen from the relevant Weekly Operating Notice:

(51E/1966)

*SATURDAY 17th AND SUNDAY, 18th DECEMBER 1966: BETWEEN SWAVESEY AND ST. IVES

SWAVESEY

The trailing crossover points in the up main line will be reset to lie normally from the up main to down main line and permanently secured in this position pending removal. The crossover points in the down main will be reset to lie normally toward the up main line. The disc signals associated with this crossover will be abolished.

The Down Main line will be cut and slued in to the Up Main line approximately 240 yards on the St. Ives side of Swavesey signal box and the Up Main line between this slue and Swavesey crossover will subsequently be removed.

The down main first home signal will be renamed down main home signal. The down main second home signal will be renamed down main starting signal and a diamond sign will be fitted to the signal post.

The existing down main starting signal will be abolished.

ST. IVES

The Down Main line will be cut and slued into new points in the Up Main line immediately on the St. Ives side of Bridge No. 2272, these points will be worked by St. Ives signal box and will normally lie from the Up Main line to the Down Main line.

Subsequently the Down Main line will be removed between these points and Swavesey.

The remaining single line between Swavesey and St. Ives will be worked under Electric Token Block Regulations.

St. Ives trailing spring points in the Up Main line from the Up Goods Loop will be connected to and worked from the signal box.

A new St. Ives straight post miniature arm signal will be brought into use on the right hand side of the single line (former Up Main line) opposite the Down First Home signal with the arm at 10 feet above rail level and will apply single line to Up Goods loop line.

St. Ives Down Distant and Down First Home signals will in future apply to the single line.

MO/S/50492 (1)

In the WON quoted above mention is made of Bridge 2272. I've measured it using Google Earth and it looks to be about 100 feet long. Bridge 2272 was two separate bridges on shared piers. The condition of this bridge was the most likely reason for singling. I'm not entirely convinced it was meant to be a permanent arrangement. There was considerable difference between the two structures and even differences in the piers under the up road. I have come across structures strengthened on one side only to cope with loaded trains always heading in one direction. In this case most coal trains were loaded in the up direction and empties in the other. #

Here's my best guess on the sides of the two long spans over the River Great Ouse..

post-4034-0-34155400-1483031114_thumb.jpg

The bottom drawing is the span that stayed in traffic. It easily had twice as many transoms as the down structure and additional bracing. A brief glimpse of the bridge here at 05:26 onwards. The train can clearly be seen regaining the double line formation immediately after crossing the bridge...

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-cambridge-st-ives-1968/

I'm pretty sure it was after the closure to March. We photographed the line from Histon through to March on the last day, I'll check the pics when I've finished these night shifts.

Stewart

Stewart, Do you have any pictures of Br 2272? 

• 3 weeks later...

With what i know about points this looks like a B8 109lb flat bottom turnout. What do others think? The sectional appendix states the linespeed over this point was 15 mph. Movie footage from the net suggests it was taken at higher speeds still.

post-4034-0-64805500-1484682538_thumb.jpg

With thanks to RB on Flickr

Super stuff thank you Stewart.

I made my drawings from my photo's. One of yours highlights the short spans are narrower than the long. That was not apparent from my photo's.

Surviving span was good enough for gravel lorry traffic as per photo, and latterly for unofficial pedestrian traffic - I remember a hash house harriers event crossing it in the early 2000s - before replacement for the guided busway of course.

• 2 weeks later...

My first go with peco individulay stuff..

post-4034-0-07255800-1485803329_thumb.jpg

A lot of lessons learnt. I need to find what sort of point machine was used on the prototype. The timber arrangements are wrong for an SGE type HA. I need to see if Westinghouse did a separate point machine that operated a conventional facing point lock. St Ives was a Westinghouse job so there's a good chance it was one of their products.

Archived