The Great Central in and around Leicester 1955/65

tigerburnie

• 2 weeks later...

I am progressing slowly with the station, just dropped the new sections of platform in to see how it fits, ballast needs shifting before final fit, now adding lights and wiring will be progressing this week for that. Looking at photographs, I have built the red brick rectangular walls at the base of the water cranes and can't remember what was in them, I have a vague recollection that there was a drain in there and I think some valve work for the water supply, or am I mixing it up with something else?

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing has been done over the Christmas period other than to try using the liner from hanging baskets for the rough banking cover, teased out it does look like brambles that were both common and delicious when spotting at the side of the track out in the countryside. Hoping to get to the Glasgow fair this year as I have a need for locos and rolling stock. The station lighting wiring is not yet started as I need to build the canopy and install some strip leds underneath and there's also some taller yard lights required, a trip to my local model shop later this month is required. I have run some trains and have noticed that some of the track shrinkage in the cold has resulted in some quite alarming sized gaps in the rails, but whilst "lumpy" in a couple spots, no de-railments, at least I know that there are no problems hot or cold to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trying to assemble a Wills canopy SS54 together, now I'm an retired engineer, I've built stuff for power stations, oil rigs, even the insides of black box flight recorders, but these instructions make flat pack furniture look simple and coherent and why am I covered in glue again!!

Just had 5 hours grassing the countryside cuttings and beginning the ballasting of this area, will try and get some pictures tomorrow, I quite enjoyed doing that, some fencing going up and even a couple trees and some hedging. The station is still under construction, just built a Wills platform canopy, seems a bit delicate, but looks the part, so more on order from the model shop.

This is far from finished, but depicts an up runner(coal train from Annesley) on it's way past Bluebanks wood(more trees to be acquired) a couple of miles north of Whetstone station on it's way to Woodford Halse. The Hornby 9F requires some detailing, first thing is to remove the front coupling , I hope to get to the Glasgow Exhibition in a couple of weeks and pick up some nice couplings.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 2

My new B1 arrived today, not fitted the super detailing to it yet, but very impressed, well done Hornby and great service from Rails of Sheffield, let it have a few circuits of the GC and it looks properly at home.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 3

That looks nice, the Layout is looking good.

Thanks Andy, a very long way to go yet, but I am getting better at bits as I go along, this countryside section has given me a nice break from the station, which is a bigger task than I thought it would be. A lot of weathering to do later, but I may leave this loco as is, in the mid 1950's they still had engine cleaners and we did see the odd loco looking half decent.

Thanks Andy, the 8F looks fine, though the train was a proper mix up of mixed traffic, hope to get some better rolling stock at Glasgow on Friday. I need to sort out the lighting on this side of the layout, then I can use my better camera and lens too. I also need to do some scenic background work too

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 1

I'm putting together a shopping list for this weeks trip to the Glasgow Exhibition and I have realised if I am to run a day from the working timetable during the 1960's I will need two Die....(nope can't say it) smelly oil burning things. A type 3 English Electric one for the York(Newcastle in the summer) to Bournemouth express and for the Swindon to Sheffield evening express, a type 3 Beyer Peacock Hymek, are there any models to avoid, we don't want the ignominy of a steam engine having to tow it to Leicester if it breaks down.