Creech Grange - an estate railway in 4mm scale...

James Hilton

So it was bound to happen, I tried to resist for as long as possible, tell myself I was only building the models to use on a friends layout but alas, I was only kidding myself!

Any so it begins... the 'bug' has bitten. Reading Mark Smithers' wonderful book on Heywood and the 15" lines, and digging out my old Sand Hutton book by Ken Hartley and Paul Ingham my little grey cells were working away and planning all sorts of 'surely I could' and 'it would be useful for running in' and 'a nice scenic experiment'...

5B2B250F-E4B6-4A7F-AC52-695108A54F4E.lar

Out came my iPad and the Paper app - and first of all I found a real place called Hilton, introduced a 'hall' and started tracing out field boundaries and the standard gauge railway before adding my own estate railway. The concept was simple, a small line from a standard gauge interchange to the hall, and then onwards via a farm to the estate works, brick works and finally a canal interchange... all complete fantasy, but a fun little exercise.

3BE1B930-6770-44FC-B880-E22AF34221E7.lar

The next, and most dangerous step was eyeing up Busch starter sets and imagineering a roundy roundy miniature layout... with the addition of one point and a length of P4 standard gauge track I had the idea that it might make quite a quaint and fun little micro, and somewhere to show off my small creations and have a little bit of a play with them from time to time... plus it would be tiny so something more easily finished than Booth Siding or Dawson Creek...

IMG_1101-733109.JPG

So after selling a few old models on eBay I raised enough cash for a new Busch Feldbahn set and some extra track. This is the NS2 set, more on that in a moment... I got a left hand point and some larger radius short curves as well as a couple of short straights to make a loop. The shorter larger radius curves form the first section of curve at each end of the straight, followed by 3 of the trainset curves. This works well, and makes the transition appear less of a trainset / industrial railway.

IMG_1102-733676.JPG

I dug out some P4 track and some old buildings salvaged from my childhood OO layout. The small brick office was built and painted by my father, the GWR corrugated shed scratchbuilt by my grandfather. I intend to try and model the scenes I sketched, albeit the point it as the opposite end and I may look at alternatives to the cattle grid to protect the estate gardens from the fields and sheep straying in.

IMG_1103-734102.JPG

My small Hunslet (check out my blog) looks right at home, as does the Ruston Proctor, both appearing tiny next to the buildings, and the 006.5 track suitably TINY next to the true scale P4 track. This landrover is a Dinky model, it belonged to my Uncle's when they were little, I think it might be a touch over scale for 4mm, but we'll see what it looks like restored.

IMG_1104-734734.JPG

IMG_1105-735197.JPG

It then took a while (4 months or so) considering how simple the track plan is, and the baseboard is just a sheet of 12mm ply, but I finally got around to making some progress.

FullSizeRender-748435.jpg

The ply was cut to size, painted and sealed, and the Busch feldbahn H0f 6.5mm track is glued down. I have soldered the fishplates on the toe of the point, and some places on the curves, where these wanted to spring open a little. The track is then just super-glued at the edges of the sleepers. This means it can be removed without damage by sliding a blade under the track, but it's secure and hold whilst the white glue sets the ballast later in the build process. 

FullSizeRender-750783.jpg

The P4 track was also cut to fit and superglued down. It's main purpose is to show how tiny these little engines are, as most of us can picture standard gauge track in real life, and it's particularly effective for that purpose when viewed from a low angle...

IMG_2810-752829.JPG

At this stage, I couldn't resist posing my Hunslet with Deptford wagons and small brake van, along with a few scenic items. This land-rover was donated by a kind fellow modeller on NGRM forum. The container I think is a Triang example and belonged to one of my Uncle's, I guess in the 1960s?

Next up wiring followed by a little ground building up, and a platform edge, then track painting, and full scenic work can begin. More soon...

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...

As you have some of the track to hand ,is it possible to say that the steel bar is under the sleepers, as it seems to be from photographs, or it it nearer the track top? The reason for the query is the possible use of the Peco Z flexitrack, with an added steel base plate for the traction magnet to work against.

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As you have some of the track to hand ,is it possible to say that the steel bar is under the sleepers, as it seems to be from photographs, or it it nearer the track top? The reason for the query is the possible use of the Peco Z flexitrack, with an added steel base plate for the traction magnet to work against.

Stephen

Or failing that use the wire from the Faller road system.

I have yet to see any retailers who stock the Faller system, I am sure there are mail order.

It is also a bit of a problem with the Busch stuff, in the UK nobody seems to stock more than a very nominal stock,

the idea is to use a section of an old H0 layout, which has a large Castle kit as centre piece, I think Kibri, and replace the H0 track with the Z track from Peco, with reduced sleepers, and a couple of home made points.

The baseboards are complete and wall mount, so not too much to build. If the Busch track was used it would involve several yards and the cost spiral up out of control!

Stephen.

• Like 1

My micro 006.5 layout now officially called 'Creech Grange' has it's first exhibition invite (despite being tiny) and I'd better get on and finish it!

IMG_0153-791453.JPG

The exhibition in question is my favourite narrow gauge show, the annual ExpoNG in Swanley, Kent. I've been numerous times and combined with a day out at Bredgar on the Sunday, always have a lovely time. This year I hope to enjoy talking with people about the concept of this scale/gauge combination and share some of my passion and excitement for what Busch have made possible with their feldbahn range!

IMG_0154-793285.JPG

So over the past few weeks I've been making progress on the basics - and now the layout sports a full complement of painted sleepers, rails, track ballast, platform covering and some earth in the yard. Trackwork was painted with Humbrol enamels and the ballast completed in the usual manner using Woodland Scenics products. Ask me any questions if you want to know more...

FullSizeRender-794510.jpg

The Gaugemaster W seen in the first photo has also been temporarily wired up for testing - and seems to work well, with a lower voltage AC adaptor feeding 0-6V (IIRC) giving me a useful low range of DC voltages suitable for the Busch mechanisms. The ability to get these engines to start from a slow crawl is wonderful - and a vast improvement on the on/off controller provided in the starter sets. More soon as I really do need to get on with the scenic work now!

With the deadline looming for it's first exhibition appearance, I thought I'd better press on with the scenery on Creech Grange...

IMG_0234-792741.JPG

The first stage was to green things up somewhat! I use Mininatur static grass, because when I bought it a few years ago it was much more muted in tone then the grasses from Noch and Heki. Now I believe there are other brands and when my current stock runs low I'll look into alternatives.

IMG_0235-795418.JPG

The first step is to apply Flock cement to the baseboard. I usually apply some flock first, but this time, as I was in a bit of a rush to be honest, I skipped this stage and applied the Grass Masters product (with paintbrush) direct to the baseboard which has been painted a matt earthy colour already.

IMG_0236-797758.JPG

The fibres are then loaded up in the Green Scenes Flock-it and applied as per the instructions. I started with a 70% Anita-Decor short (2.5mm) green and 30% Mininatur 'Fall' 4.5mm fibres. The short ones are pretty bright, so the fall colour tones them down a touch. I applied this to the pastures, and then increased the percentage of the 'fall' fibres at the edges and in the centre of the layout.

IMG_0238-799807.JPG

The results are very pleasing if a little uniform. At least the subtle contours introduced with plaster on an otherwise flat baseboard are shown to good effect here and add a little more interest. I also experimented with adding the glue between and around the sleepers on the standard gauge line, like I've seen the maestro Chris Nevard demonstrate - and it worked a treat!.

IMG_0239-701935.JPG

More soon as the rest of the greenery starts to spring up...

So following swiftly on from applying the static grass I dug out my box of 'reclaimed trees' from when I stripped my childhood model railway a few years ago...

IMG_0241-752073.JPG

These trees were built by my Dad, some scratchbuilt, others from Woodland Scenics kits (although he hated these as they were so 'small' in his opinion). I don't like building trees, and I have quite a stock of these as our OO layout was quite large and had plenty of wooded areas. Dad used to build them in the utility room whilst having a cigarette, so had plenty of time to contemplate them and I love the charm they exude even if they're not quite up to modern standards.

IMG_0243-754003.JPG

So the first shot at the top of the page, and above show me mocking up positions and working out what could work where - as well as adding some Woodland Scenics 'ready forest' and International Models (now sadly out of business I believe) hedge to create bushes and hedges.

IMG_0244-755845.JPG

Once positions were finalised holes were drilled and the trees glued in place. I've also added some fence posts, and foundations for the estate fencing.

IMG_0245-757704.JPG

I took a few photos of the layout, under non-ideal lighting, which were useful to give me an idea of the atomosphere, and if any other scenic work might be required.

IMG_0246-759571.JPG

There are a few areas I plan to do some more with but on the whole I'm pleased with the composition and won't be adding any more trees.

IMG_0248-761583.JPG

IMG_0249-763685.JPG

More soon...

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

I've been working on the stock for Creech Grange in the evenings this week, and you can see here that there is quite a range of items being worked on...

FullSizeRender-705197.jpg

At the back, the Heywood wagons still have quite a lot work required, so they'll be the focus once the layout is finished. You'll also see I've been working on some scenic items, including even an old saddle tank (from a Quarry Hunslet I believe).

FullSizeRender-707762.jpg

The Earl's Landrover (an Oxford Diecast Series 1 donated by a fellow modeller) has been treated to a dulling down with some Testors dull-cote, and then weathered with Humbrol 98 on the wheel treads and behind the arches.

FullSizeRender-709945.jpg

The Motorail Dalmunzie estates inspired coach is now finished, with wooden planking seating, and dry brushed with gunmetal (53) on the edges of the metal work that have lifted it very nicely.

FullSizeRender-712040.jpg

I am very happy with the finish I've achieved on the decks of the two wooden open wagons. These were a bit of an experiement, and by the way, are tiny (less than 16mm wide). The deck started with a thin coat of chocolate (98). Once dry this was drybrushed with a light grey, and then given a coat of Games Workshop 'Agrax Earthshade' wash. The metalwork is just black (33) and dry brushed with gun metal (53). 

FullSizeRender-714142.jpg

The end staked wagon also has a faded red paint which is flaking off on each end, an experiment in such a small scale, but it seems to have worked ok - it was just stippled on over the wood treatment.

FullSizeRender-716563.jpg

Finally the tipper wagon and tank wagon are getting towards completion but will need some more work.

FullSizeRender-718579.jpg

More soon, as the layout is finished off ahead of it's debut at ExpoNG!

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 5

After a visit to Beamish at the weekend where I picked up the Samson book (despite not seeing him) I wanted to make something...

IMG_0456-735517.JPG

Sometimes an engine or stock just don't float my boat and so when I flicked through and found a drawing of the shed proposed to house Samson based on the former Crich shed at Chadwick Nick, I wondered whether it would work in 009.

IMG_0457-737421.JPG

So this is the work of about two hours modelling: Slaters embossed plasticard, a craft knife and ruler and some micro strip and rod. Then roof will be added next in corrugated iron and then the chimney added last. I'm quite happy with the result, despite adding 6 scale inches to the height it's still a little low for a canned engine but should be ok for small diesels or cabless Hunslets... not that I have one of those.. yet... or a layout for one... yet...

IMG_0458-739066.JPG

The doors have been distressed with a knife, both the ends and between some of the planks. The stone work has also been carved and lapped at the joins, which is quite effective.

IMG_0459-741117.JPG

The rear of the building has a brick built extension. This change in material and roof angle will add a bit of visual interest. Next up the roof, and then the lintels and finishing details including the window before hand painting in enamel paints. More soon...

• Like 5

With the deadline for ExpoNG approaching further work is required on Creech Grange in terms of adding the final details, however before that, it was necessary, obviously, to test out the new locomotive...

FullSizeRender-771082.jpg

The Avonside runs well, nearly as well as the Decauville based Hunslet, and certainly smoother than the Heywood tank - which is good, because it will be relied upon to entertain the masses at ExpoNG in a few weeks time.

FullSizeRender-774751.jpg

I took a few photos of the engine, Motorail 'Dalmunzie' estate coach and Robert Hudson 'Sand Hutton' brake van at the standard gauge interchange, and tweaked them on the phone to be black and white. I'm looking forward to finishing the layouts details (signs, a bike (if I can find one), clutter (boxes and barrels) and some guards between the rails as it passes through the estate wall) and then taking some better photos after the show.

FullSizeRender-777399.jpg

More soon...

• Like 8

Detailing on Creech Grange is progressing, relatively slowly, as I rake through old boxes of parts and items from my childhood OO gauge layout...

FullSizeRender-772802.jpg

Whilst this is happening the trains continue to run (for testing purposes you understand) and I grabbed this shot which I was quite happy with the selective focus, of the Heywood 'Katie' inspired engine arriving at the interchange with a short train of 'top' wagons.

I'll turn the colour back on (thanks Simon Cox) after ExpoNG!

More soon...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend saw the now annual pilgramage south to ExpoNG in Swanley, Kent...

IMG_0669-733686.JPG

This year I shared the trip with good friend and excellent modeller Charlie Insley - we travelled down with both our layouts in his aging Astra which didn't miss a beat, and was comfortable enough for such a long journey.

IMG_0670-735957.JPG

IMG_0675-737756.JPG

I set up the layout on Friday night - taking all of twenty minutes to establish the display. The three sketches I printed out showed the concepts, and described what 006.5 was to the casual bistander. The layout was displayed on top of it's storage box and I used the lights from Creech Bottom, finished off with a black sheet over the desk. I was next to Narrow Planet which was proved useful as I could answer any queries as people were buying my kits...

IMG_0677-739106.JPG

Before we finished setting up Empire made a successful trip around the layout to confirm all was well... and then back to the saloubrious Campagnile hotel in Dartford for a few beers and a chat with some other fellow exhibitors and show-goers before bed...

IMG_0683-740258.JPG

Contrast this with the photo of Tim and I at ExpoNG last year where we both look miserable in his old Nissan Micra! Probably more likely hung over - no problem this year!

FullSizeRender-741622.jpg

FullSizeRender-743230.jpg

B4D5A774-0B2E-4CF7-9E71-BF1B6724C92E-744

The layout performed pretty much faultlessly through the show, and despite the limited nature of operation I never tired of setting off a loco and stock around the loop in either direction. What is more the public were very complementary, so many lovely comments and some great conversations. People were standing and admiring the layout for 10-20 minutes, chatting away, and enjoying watching the locomotives make their way around (and around) at a gentle sedate pace.

IMG_0690-745716.JPG

The Avonside gained a lot of admiration and I'm pushing on with ordering the production batch of parts to allow me to release this to the public...

FullSizeRender-746907.jpg

...it should be available through Narrow Planet before Christmas.

IMG_0694-748229.JPG

At the end of the day my Heywood engine took a trip to Llantrevelyn behind Bedgellert. Thanks to Adam and Tom for a little bit of fun and a chance to take some photos of my engine on a larger layout!.

FullSizeRender-749386.jpg

All in all a great show - lots of kits sold, lots of lovely feedback, great to see some old friendly faces and catch up - and awesome to make some more friends too... thanks to everyone who stopped by to chat - I hope my modelling and blog are as inspiring and interesting and people who spoke to me about them encouraged - more soon...

• Like 11

I've been experimenting with adding a photographic backscene to Creech Grange...

FullSizeRender-727489.jpg

This is just the back-scene from Creech Bottom, and I've placed the new layout in front of this and then posed a few photos to see the potential of using this for some further photography.

FullSizeRender-729355.jpg

The layout offers plenty of scope for close in angles, and I'd like to do some nicer photos outdoors under natural light. I grabbed these using light from a patio window and my iPhone - I intend to set something up outside and use my real camera.

IMG_0847-730667.JPG

Most of these show the Heywood tank, but I did get the Hunslet out for one photo, and actually inadvertently took my favourite snap last!

FullSizeRender-731446.jpg

The production batch of Heywood wagons and Avonside locomotives are on the way from the printers - so these will be out before Christmas as I hoped! More soon...

• Like 13

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Detailing on Creech Grange is progressing, relatively slowly, as I rake through old boxes of parts and items from my childhood OO gauge layout...

FullSizeRender-772802.jpg

Whilst this is happening the trains continue to run (for testing purposes you understand) and I grabbed this shot which I was quite happy with the selective focus, of the Heywood 'Katie' inspired engine arriving at the interchange with a short train of 'top' wagons.

I'll turn the colour back on (thanks Simon Cox) after ExpoNG!

More soon...

Absolutely love this atmospheric shot! And the Heywood loco - am I right in thinking that "Katie" won't become part of the 6point5 range?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that "Katie" won't become part of the 6point5 range?

That's right, it's too much work to modify the Busch chassis to fit the parts, I'd be worried people would damage the mechanism of not a cheap chassis. I can consider building them as commission models though, get in touch if you're interested.

• RMweb Premium

That's right, it's too much work to modify the Busch chassis to fit the parts, I'd be worried people would damage the mechanism of not a cheap chassis. I can consider building them as commission models though, get in touch if you're interested.

Thanks, James, that's much appreciated!

I'll drop you a PM in the New Year, and in the meantime have a great Christmas!

Cheers,

Mark