Howlsike - the North Eastern Railway through the Esk Valley - P4

I've just about finished building the baseboards for my latest layout which is based on the Esk Valley line near Houlsyke (current spelling) and will be a might have been version of the real location.

As it was, there was a single siding used for agricultural supplies there, in my version I'm assuming that the traffic warranted the building of a small station.

The main feature tying the layout to the location will be the road overbridge which will form the scenic break at one end and will be kept as close to the actual bridge as I can.

There'll be a small station building just after this in the style of others on the line (Thomas Prosser, like Danby, Lealholm and Goathland)

The track plan is based on Settrington, and the layout will be P4 set between the end of WW1 and grouping.

The boards so far:

4cbce54b-637b-48a8-b27c-3066395522c6.jpeg.9114523c9381d4916d0f96d9b6c84c95.jpeg

Each of the 3 boards is 2'6" by 15", (courtesy of Tim Horn) there'll be a 3'x1' fiddle yard at each end.

Trackplan:

32bbe850-cf24-4e76-b7bd-ed20919b897b.jpeg.9e7676d888004f589c60e1d11dc54c5b.jpeg

Approximate location

Dropped pin

near Danby

https://maps.google.com/?q=54.459109,-0.869222&hl=en-GB&gl=uk

I've also been converting and backdating a Hornby Q6, a little oversized for the layout perhaps but it's a nice model that runs well

5abcfc97-eefd-4e44-9d03-28d96a248528.jpeg.319532594cb9a6be5bf290d7c96994de.jpeg

Thanks for looking in

Mike

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

• Like 12

Yesterday I made a start on a mockup of the road overbridge, with an early templot plan to assist with positioning

post-6837-0-72461700-1508662636_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-87173300-1508662652_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-19739600-1508662680_thumb.jpg

Next up I need to build some legs for the layout which will make working on things a lot easier, the ironing board is a little low really....

• Like 10

The road overbridge will hopefully end up looking like this

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/picturestocktonarchive.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/head-ashby-and-co-railway-bridges-on-the-esk-valley-line/amp/

The bridge in the link is (or rather was) nearer to Danby and has recently been renewed

The overbridge near Houlsyke was replaced in the late sixties but it appears that the original style was almost identical to others on the line

Goathland next year?

I doubt it, maybe the year after.....

We have a few exhibitions with Ferme du Pont next year and work on that really needs to take precedence

This is more of a long term project and something to help me with building P4 stock for a group project that's at a similar stage

The biggest issue would be lack of finished rolling stock, as I haven't got far through the kit pile yet.

Hopefully starting the layout will spur me on

• RMweb Gold

It always surprised me there was never a station there in reality.

Have you seen the recent book by the North Eastern railway society on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway?

Well recommended, mind I'm pictured driving the 143 on the front piece so that may spoil it a bit!

• Like 1

Thanks Russ, I think I have a copy somewhere.

I guess with Danby and Lealholm stations both a couple of miles away and both quite well equipped there wasn't the need.

If there had been a station there it would've been about 1/4 mile from the hamlet, but that seems close compared to some stations miles away from the place they served.

• RMweb Gold

Until I got the book I'd been unaware of the siding, was the siding on the site of where you are setting the station?

I considered building a Whitby branch layout several years ago using a similar scenario but basing it on Newton under Roseberry

Best of luck with your layout

Thanks Russ, yes on a 1912/13 map (on old maps) the siding was on the Lealholm side of the bridge, on the south of the line.

There's still an access from the road to the line side used by Network Rail, I'm sure I've seen sleepers piled where the siding used to be when the line was undergoing a lot of work

Edit: there's a pile of sleepers shown on the map link a few posts above, pretty much exactly where the siding was

• 3 weeks later...

This project looks interesting and similar to the one I have been planning.... for years... Cani suggest rather than building legs you buy them from lidl or Aldi or screwfix as they have adjustable in height trestles. They are cheap, strong, fold down quite small. This is what I am planning to use... but here in Australia I have only seen them at Aldi. (Ok we don't have the others here!)

Doug

Thanks Doug, I have used some of those trestles in the past under a previous layout but the trouble is transporting them, they also take up a lot of space under the layout which will need to be spanning over furniture at home and as I need to be able to fit everything into a car I'm going to build something bespoke

• 2 months later...

Recently I've got a set of legs built for the layout and painted the underside of the boards and the lighting rig white.

Today I've been trying to get my Hornby Q6 conversion progressed towards completing it and finally having a finished P4 loco.

post-6837-0-81282200-1518296960_thumb.jpg

Still to do is the front coupling and the lettering on the other side of the tender, then I need to source some small number plates for the cabsides. (I'd be most grateful if anyone can suggest a supplier of these)

It's numbered as a Darlington engine and as far as I can work out (with this type of tender) is the nearest Q6 to Houlsyke in about 1920.

Also in the part built queue are these 3 locos, all (mostly) suitable for the layout.

post-6837-0-48043900-1518299223_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-28122500-1518299238_thumb.jpg

The G5 is an Alexander Models body on a 52F chassis and was the first P4 loco I started. The T1 is a 52F kit and the J24 is from North Eastern kits.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Oh heck...

Modelmaster do a suitable one, thought it was WP26 but there isn't a WP26! Could be WP66, I'll find out.

Right, had a look at some plates and the nearest to the right size and shape is WP21, a generic doncaster worksplate, think I used these on my J24 and 59, the alternative is to pester Narrow Planet.

• 1 month later...