handheld from a Hornby R965

sir douglas

the new idea to replace my AMR was to rebuild a Hornby controller into a handheld, i want to replace it even through ive heard good things about AMR's, mine has some dead spots in it, 

the controller taken apart, i wonder what the large box is for in the casing as there's nothing in it

post-9948-0-58047200-1523010674_thumb.jpg

41161266352_a182bd1420_b.jpgcontroller (1) by Sam, on Flickr

27331999338_5bc0850492_b.jpgcontroller (2) by Sam, on Flickr

The AC terminals and the power plug were cut off, the output wires replaced with half an old video player cable and the plug replaced with the other half, the AC terminals were re used as a cable clamp. the power wires were soldered into points that connected to the plug in the circuit board, labelled A & B, the length and width of the circuit board was cut down a bit through the now redundant AC circuits, there were some scribbles and sketches on paper to make sure the wires went where they were supposed to 

40310341715_a9973b600e_b.jpgcontroller (6) by Sam, on Flickr

40310343025_7f27bc0d83_b.jpgcontroller (7) by Sam, on Flickr

the input power is fine because i was already using the R964 tranformer plug with the AMR

video of it working on my layout, the very slow running isnt the controller but the loco

the box is 2mm styrene joined with finger joints and ordinary cement

27398857728_a322b8327c_b.jpgcontroller (12) by Sam, on Flickr

the lid is fixed on with nuts and bolts through the corners

40557957554_60e0434c9e_b.jpgcontroller (15) by Sam, on Flickr

there is still some vents i'd like to cut to make sure there wont be any over heating during long running sessions

• Like 1

It gets a good review. The spiky nature of the waveform means it may be unsuitable for some motors like coreless types.

I can't see a good reason for the large case. It should not get too hot otherwise there would be a heat sink in there, so it looks ideal for your conversion.

• RMweb Premium

the controller taken apart, i wonder what the large box is for in the casing as there's nothing in it

Is the large box lid removable by clips? I'm wondering if the same controller for a different market used batteries?

Possibly evolved from a battery model or maybe the original had a big old transformer in there now it is solid state switching.

Rob

You are basically correct it evolved from R921 (see Cat#39 Pge40) which contains a transformer.

In the 40th Edition it is shown as a new product R956 & has the transformer as a separate plug pack

Three possible reasons for the change, first being a safety consideration. Get the 240V as far away from the controller as practicable

Second is economic, Probably cheaper to make with a plug pack than with internal transformer  

Thirdly. Easier to export, just change the plug pack to suit the local requirements. (Plug type &/or local voltage)

John

Looks good, very neat. Respect.  I use OnTrack / Morley hand helds which use just one three core lead and so I wonder if a single 4 core would work better than the pair of 2 cores. 

I have a connector between my home made hand held and the wires for when I stand on the wire, but its easier with 3 wire as I use a 3.5 stereo jack plug.  I guess you  need 2 amp wires rather than 1/2 amp   The Morley hand held just does the job of the controller know so it only takes a few milliamps