Digikeijs DR 5000 - Updating firmware

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have recently been trying to update the firmware on my DR5000, which I have done several times before.

However this is the first time on this computer and I seem to be having some problems.

I have downloaded the latest version and after uninstalling the previous version tried to install the new version, however the program wouldn't complete with the legend "update drivers manually"

Going to the update window on the DR5000 app I find update is greyed out so cannot be used and the current firmware is "--.--.--":

post-6208-0-48164200-1536424428.jpg

Any ideas

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

This is the monitor display showing that the USB & LAN are operational:

post-6208-0-17154300-1536424830_thumb.jpg

Edited by melmerby

Keith

It isnt seeing the DR5000 which is why it is greyed out. IOf it was seeing it then it would show the DR5000 software version.

I suggest that you tyry another USB cable and make sure that it is fully pushed home, ideally use the one that came with the DR5000 as Digikeijs have a slightly shorter boot to allow the plug to go in further.

• RMweb Premium

Keith

It isnt seeing the DR5000 which is why it is greyed out. IOf it was seeing it then it would show the DR5000 software version.

I suggest that you tyry another USB cable and make sure that it is fully pushed home, ideally use the one that came with the DR5000 as Digikeijs have a slightly shorter boot to allow the plug to go in further.

Hi Iain

I think the USB is fine. I am using the Digikeijs lead.

Under Device Manager as soon as I connect the DR5000 to the USB it shows it's three VCOM ports.

e.g. DR.Command port: (COM4)

post-6208-0-02570700-1536427861.jpg

If I use 1.4.7 software that does show as "Updateable" but it won't update with a "libusb0.dll not found" error although it's in the extracted folder.

I have never had V 1.4.7 working and I thought I would try 1.5.0 and that is worse, the last one I had working properly was IIRC V1.2.3

V1.4.7:

post-6208-0-20247500-1536427987.jpg

Cheers

Keith

Keith

I have this on mine periodically, and had it today after my reply where the software wouldn't - actually couldn't see the DR5000 and the screens were similar to yours, and in my case I couldn't set the network protocol. when I see this is I simply and unplug the mini USB2 from the DR5000, wait 30s and reinsert, making sure I push it home. It has worked for me each time, today included.

The software is showing that it cannot 'see' the DR5000 at the other end of the USB cable properly as it isn't showing the current version.

As a last resort you can try this;

3.8 Firmware recovery mode

It may happen that something goes wrong while updating the firmware.

Should this happen then it is possible through the following steps to recover the firmware
into the device.

1) Connect the DR5000 only to the supplied power supply.

2) Press the green button and hold it.
3) Press the red button and hold it.
4) Release the green button while holding on to the red button.
5) Press the green button again.
6) Both the Green and Red LEDs below the GO and STOP switch will light up simultaneously.
7) Connect the USB cable.
8) Open the DR5000 configuration software.
9) The Firmware update screen will automatically start.
9) Press "UPDATE DR5000" and then click "Yes"
10) The firmware is now uploaded into the DR5000.
11) The device is now working again.

(taken from Section 3.8 in latest manual)

• RMweb Premium

Hi iain

Strangely I can control trains using a network connexion (TrainController) but I cannot use the on screen throttle and none of the DR5000 windows actually do anything

E.G. the monitor window shows the network connexion being open but not any other messages such as track current etc.

I was wondering whether there was a way of forcing a reset so I shall try your suggestion.(section 3.8)

I have tried unlugging the USB for a while (longer than 30s) & re-plugging but that doesn't do anything.

Cheers

Keith

I had another strange one with the DR5000 this moring where i could switch it off and on with the physical buttons but not with the software buttons - same IA as before, I unplugged and then reconnected and it fixed it for me.

This is a replacement unit as the LocoNet stopped performing on the other one totally, everything else worked OK but LocoNet went down - I don't seem to have any LocoNet issues with this one or network, but the USB seems a tad unsteady.

Sorry I can help further as if what is listed above doesn't recover it to a usable state then I don't know what to suggest :(

Have you tried navigating to the folder that holds the driver, right clicking on the driver and selecting ‘install’.

The other option is to delete the device and driver in device manager and ask for a rescan of hardware, which will find the device again and reinstall the drivers ( hopefully the latest and correct one).

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Keith

I have this on mine periodically, and had it today after my reply where the software wouldn't - actually couldn't see the DR5000 and the screens were similar to yours, and in my case I couldn't set the network protocol. when I see this is I simply and unplug the mini USB2 from the DR5000, wait 30s and reinsert, making sure I push it home. It has worked for me each time, today included.

The software is showing that it cannot 'see' the DR5000 at the other end of the USB cable properly as it isn't showing the current version.

As a last resort you can try this;

3.8 Firmware recovery mode

It may happen that something goes wrong while updating the firmware.

Should this happen then it is possible through the following steps to recover the firmware

into the device.

1) Connect the DR5000 only to the supplied power supply.

2) Press the green button and hold it.

3) Press the red button and hold it.

4) Release the green button while holding on to the red button.

5) Press the green button again.

6) Both the Green and Red LEDs below the GO and STOP switch will light up simultaneously.

7) Connect the USB cable.

8) Open the DR5000 configuration software.

9) The Firmware update screen will automatically start.

9) Press "UPDATE DR5000" and then click "Yes"

10) The firmware is now uploaded into the DR5000.

11) The device is now working again.

(taken from Section 3.8 in latest manual)

Hi Iain

9) The Firmware update screen will automatically start. No it won't and if I open the screen to update the software manually it is still greyed out (V 1.5.0), In fact it locks up!

Using 1.4.7 (showing the option to update) gives me this screen after a couple of seconds of selecting update:

post-6208-0-49907100-1536510953.jpg

However if you close and re-start the DR5000 configuration software you get this:

post-6208-0-41142900-1536511117.jpg

So it appears that nothing has actually changed.

Keith

EDIT I think something is probably wrong with it.

Edited by melmerby

one last thought - on my DR5088RC the original 1.2.x software kepy falling over and I was left with them not working and unable to access them to change the LNCVs. 

I found that be going through the rest routine (as oulined above) then pressing RESET i would be able to update the firmware (geneerally using the same version that was on the DR5088RC) and that was enough to let me upgrade them to new versions. Now that we are on 1.4.0 the units have been much better and much more reliable.

• RMweb Premium

I've tried everything but to no avail.

It seems that the USB might be partially working but there is no monitor display (e.g. no track current or other events) and no way to control trains/accessories from the on screen display.

However It still works when it gets commands directly from the LAN connexion.

The innards consist of amongst other things an ATmega328(?) controller so something might be amiss there

I have ordered another unit and will send the faulty one away to get it seen to when it arrives.

Should get an adjustable supply this time, the original is fixed 19v

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Keith,

The UK agent for Digikeijs in niow James Hudson at https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/ - might be worth speaking with him and he has a very fast turnaround on replacement items where replacement is warranted.

Might be with giving him a call and seeing what he says, could save you buying a spare one.

Iain

Hi Iain.

I was considering another command station as part of my plan to split up the layout functions (track, signals, points etc.) so another DR5000 was a logical step.

However it is behaving exactly the same as the other one showing no firmware version (it is Ver 1.4.7) and any attempt to "update" gets this response:

"Error: No matching USB device found

AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

error reading signature data for part "ATxmega192A3U", rc=-1

error reading signature data, rc=-1

Programming done. Thank you.

Firmware Update failed !"

So the problem must lie away from the DR5000.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

This certainly doesn’t look good.

I suggest you look for a product called RevoUninstaller which is free and use it to uninstall the DR5000 programme and drivers. You also need to get it to do a moderate clean after the installation has completed and delete all the registry keys it highlights - it is obvious how you do this.

If you then restart and reinstall the DR5000 v1.5.0 software then by doing what I suggest above it will force the installation routine to reinstall the USB drivers for the comm ports which is the only place the issue can reside.

Hopefully this solves it - I can’t replicate the issue to suggest anything else :(

• RMweb Premium

This certainly doesn’t look good.

I suggest you look for a product called RevoUninstaller which is free and use it to uninstall the DR5000 programme and drivers. You also need to get it to do a moderate clean after the installation has completed and delete all the registry keys it highlights - it is obvious how you do this.

If you then restart and reinstall the DR5000 v1.5.0 software then by doing what I suggest above it will force the installation routine to reinstall the USB drivers for the comm ports which is the only place the issue can reside.

Hopefully this solves it - I can’t replicate the issue to suggest anything else :(

Hi Iain

After posting the previous post I booted the computer in Administrator mode and everything worked fine.

Both the DR5000s were showing their firmware version simultaneously (both 1.4.7) and I had both running side by side using just the one install. Both showed the track monitor etc. which was missing from a standard user account log-in.

Possibly something to do with user permissions on installation?

Originally it was a new install on a new (self built) PC with a new WIN 10 installation.

I have uninstalled everything I could find and re-installed but maybe something was lurking in the depths that RevoUninstaller might find?

Everything had worked fine on the previous (also self built) PC.

Cheers

Keith

Wierd - I suggest using Revo running it as an admin (I do that always0 and cleaning up the install, then trying again.

the poother thing you could do is to make the DR5000 programe always run as Admin - right click and set properties to run as Admin, means UAC will ask you everytime you run the programme for permission, but that isnt a big hassle to click 'Yes' :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Iain

Tried as you suggested, Revo found some registry dregs, so I deleted those.

I re-installed the DR 5000 software and connected the two units and there is no difference, they still don't work properly as a normal user.

Went back to Admin and this is the result:

Unit 1

post-6208-0-48972300-1536958668_thumb.png

Unit 2

post-6208-0-90290700-1536958701_thumb.png

As you can see perfect!

I can't run the DR5000 program as admin from a normal user as it is greyed out.

Keith

• go to the folder you have the DR5000.exe located in and right click dr5000.exe which is C:\Digikeijs\DR5000 Configuration and Drivers\Config by default.
  •  
  • right click the file then Properties and choose 'Compatibility'
  •  
  • select 'change setting for all users
  •  
  • select 'Run as Administrator'

should now run as admin by default

though this is a workaround as this shouldn't need to run as admin - but if it works, it works :)

• RMweb Premium

• go to the folder you have the DR5000.exe located in and right click dr5000.exe which is C:\Digikeijs\DR5000 Configuration and Drivers\Config by default.
  •  
  • right click the file then Properties and choose 'Compatibility'
  •  
  • select 'change setting for all users
  •  
  • select 'Run as Administrator'

should now run as admin by default

though this is a workaround as this shouldn't need to run as admin - but if it works, it works :)

Thanks for that, Iain. It works.

But why won't it work as normal user? Strange.

I'm doing nothing different to my previous PC and that was the second one I had used a DR5000 on again without a problem

I had tried setting the permissions to all and even that didn't work!

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Iain

Do you have your DR5000 connect via LAN?

If so can you use the on screen DR5000 throttle to control loco speed?

Although I now get all the on screen info, logging etc. I have found that the dr5000 will still only control trains via the computer program.

When I had connected via USB the throttle did work, unfortunately I don't know whether it was changing to LAN or changing the PC or something else that has stopped it working.

Cheers

Keith

Keith,

I do connect via LAN to my DR5000 but that is using the LocoNet Server protocol and I connect the DR5000 programme via USB. I am away from the layout this weekend but will try tomorrow night connecting the programme via LAN to see if I can replicate your issue and report back then.

Iain

• RMweb Premium

Hi Iain

I was looking at this as you typed.

I've just checked it with LAN set to DR Command and it still doesn't control trains. When on USB I can switch track power on & off from the screen but not on LAN

Here is the screen from the DR5000, I assume it is set correctly?

post-6208-0-79277800-1537692094_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Keith

post-6208-0-79277800-1537692094_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looks correct to me - I will be back home in a few hours and will see if I can replicate the issue

Iain:

When you change the control properties to "Connect via: Network" it seems to switch off the interface completely so there is no control possible,

The log window stops updating after showing "Network Opened: 192.168.1.75:5550"

Switch back to USB and everything starts again.

Keith