EMGS AGM, Members Day & Modelling Workshop

Tynedale Farmers Function Suite,

Tyne Green,

Hexham,

Northumberland.

NE46 3SG

Saturday 8th December 2018

10.30am - 4.30pm

Ample Free parking and excellent facilities for the less abled and just a short walk from the railway station and the historic Hexham town centre.

The AGM (for EMGS members only) will commence at 2pm sharp.

The Annual Competition will be held during the day, with the results announced once the AGM has been completed.

4mm Modellers Workshop

Admission £5.00, EM Society Members FREE

As part of the Members day and AGM this year we are indebted to the North East and Borders Area Group of the EM Gauge Society for arranging the venue, layouts and the Modellers Workshop.

Layouts
Kielder Forest - ‘EM’ NE & Borders Area Group layout (19 x 2’6”) circa 1956 the last days of the Border Counties line
Middle Peak – ‘EM’ Owned by members of NE & Borders Area Group (5’ x 18”) 60th Anniversary competition layout featuring a working limestone loading hopper
Un-named layout - ‘EM’ NE & Borders member- by Peter Shields and under construction
Callaton - 2mm FS NE & Borders member – by Mick Simpson. Situated north of Newcastle in the 1970’s cameo layout showing methods of construction
Castle Caereinion – 009 NE & Borders Member (6’ x 1’) by Martyn Harrison, the station as it was in the early days of preservation

The EMGS Test Track

Demonstrators
Beginners Guide to EM - Graham Hudson
DCC - Nigel Cliffe (all you ever wanted to know and more!)
Trackwork - Chris King
Trees - Jean King
Scenery - Martyn Harrison with the layout ‘Castle Caereinion’ as a prop
Wagons - Duncan Wilcock - Wizardry in plasticard
Loco Construction - Peter Stanger demonstrating with his range of 52F Models
Soldering - Roger Sawyer Learn how to solder and have a go
Buildings - Ian Hunter
Spittal - The design and construction of a layout in ‘EM’ Ian Lister

Trade
High Level Kits

Lanarkshire Models & Supplies

Squires Model & Craft Tools 

Stoneybridge Structures
EMGS Trade Stand

Cumbrian Railways Association

Photographic Presentation
David Dunn with the ‘Armstrong Collection’

Catering
The Tynedale Auction Mart restaurant will be open for meals, bacon/sausage rolls teas coffee etc.

Edited by Leander
  • Like 1

Dunne is spelt without an E & Wilcock is spelt without an X but in some circles he is better known as Barry to avoid confusion when he is photographed with his twin.  :smile_mini2:

https://www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth/2017/aroundtheshow/show-032.html

Edited by Porcy Mane

Dunne is spelt without an E & Wilcock is spelt without an X but in some circles he is better known as Barry to avoid confusion when he is photographed with his twin.  :smile_mini2:

https://www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth/2017/aroundtheshow/show-032.html

Dunne..Duune..Dunnie..aye that sounds about right!

He's been called worse I'm sure..

No offence Davy :no:

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

These workshop days are a terrific idea and I'm sad that due to distance and other commitments i won't be able to go to this one. I do think (and hope) that this is the direction in which the EMGS and S4Soc main shows will move in the future where there is a lot more emphasis on education and skill learning, perhaps at the expense of entertainment/layouts.

• Like 1

These workshop days are a terrific idea and I'm sad that due to distance and other commitments i won't be able to go to this one.

But the main purpose of this event is the AGM.

I think it was the NE and Borders group of the EMGS who "popularised" the workshopwise type of event; with the now long standing October Stannington event.

If you can get to that it's well worth the effort. Just for the catering and notwithstanding, it shares the car park (large) with a village pub that is still open! The fact that it is only 50 yards from the main London to Edinburgh cart track is another plus point.

The EMGS organised another event at Littleborough in March 2017 that was well worth the effort of travelling to.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why there is another EMGS workshopwise type "do" less than 120 miles away the day after Stannington. I know people travel quite some distance to get to Stannington for what is a "one dayer". Surely two similar events by the same society on subsequent days will impact on potential attendance figures.

Strange logic in my book.

P

• RMweb Gold

But the main purpose of this event is the AGM.

I think it was the NE and Borders group of the EMGS who "popularised" the workshopwise type of event; with the now long standing October Stannington event.

If you can get to that it's well worth the effort. Just for the catering and notwithstanding, it shares the car park (large) with a village pub that is still open! The fact that it is only 50 yards from the main London to Edinburgh cart track is another plus point.

The EMGS organised another event at Littleborough in March 2017 that was well worth the effort of travelling to.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why there is another EMGS workshopwise type "do" less than 120 miles away the day after Stannington. I know people travel quite some distance to get to Stannington for what is a "one dayer". Surely two similar events by the same society on subsequent days will impact on potential attendance figures.

P

Hi,

It’s been organised by one of the area groups not by the EMGS themselves and I believe one of the only dates available to them to hold the event(stand to be corrected on that point).

Thanks

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why there is another EMGS workshopwise type "do" less than 120 miles away the day after Stannington. I know people travel quite some distance to get to Stannington for what is a "one dayer". Surely two similar events by the same society on subsequent days will impact on potential attendance figures.

P

December is filling up so I don't think I can make it - but being a relative southerner, living in the actual south, it would make it more tempting. Tick both off in the weekend, stay somewhere in the middle over night.

I am also a +1 for the skillsday concept though.

Well, the Cumbrian Railways Association will be attending with their stand. Copies of the books they publish, lots of photographs to delve and spend an hour or two looking through. 4mm scale etched Furness Railway Squirrel seats to purchase but for those in the senior scale then 7mm available as well.

If all goes to plan CSP Models may just have some of their 4mm Industrial locomotive kits on sale along with exquisite lost wax brass locomotive tools in 4mm scale.

Lots of 7mm brass castings for the larger modeller as well.

Philip

• 1 month later...

Does that have both EM and P4 gauges available?

Actually, in retrospect, it was a bit of an academic question as I've just remembered that we have a family visitation on Saturday so can't make it up there anyway.  Pity, I'd like to have come.

As a recent new member (this week!) I'd love to attend and meet the team, but I have the unlikely pleasure of supporting punk legends the UK SUBS on the Derby date of their Christmas UK tour on Saturday evening. 

Great liitle show to go with the EMGS AGM, not a bad venue either, and well organised by th NE and Borders area group.

...however I did make the mistake of asking what the veggie option was in the auction mart cafe!

Well done Mr Worsdell Forever (of this parish) for winning almost everything in the competitions.

• Like 1