Chuffing's Chopshop - Barclay Bashing

• RMweb Gold

Finally finished modifying my Hattons Andrew Barclay

Just waiting for the name/number plates from Narrow Planet and then it will be off to TMC to be weathered

Modifications:
Wibbly wobbly plastic handrails replaced with painted brass
Livery changed from GWR roundel to “GREAT WESTERN”
Footplate tool boxes added
Buffer beam numbered
Screw tension coupling added (decorative)
Safety valves changed
Bell added
Rear glazing replaced with thinner material

To be done:
Works plates added
Number plates added
Weathered by TMC
Add driver and fireman?

The following loco is purely fictitious and bares no resemblance to any locos living or dead

post-34603-0-98313600-1538416353_thumb.jpeg

post-34603-0-33535900-1538416365_thumb.jpeg

post-34603-0-94744600-1538419580_thumb.jpeg

post-34603-0-62290600-1538419590_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

Finally finished modifying my Hattons Andrew Barclay

Just waiting for the name/number plates from Narrow Planet and then it will be weathered

Modifications:

Plastic Handrails replaced with painted brass

Livery changed from GWR roundel to “GREAT WESTERN”

Footplate tool boxes added

Buffer beam numbered

Screw tension coupling added (decorative)

Safety valves changed

Bell added

Rear glazing replaced with thinner material

To be done:

Works plates added

Number plates added

Weathered

Driver and fireman added?

The following loco is purely fictitious and bares no resemblance to any locos livings or dead

Nice!!

C.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I really should wait for paint to dry fully before trial assembly just to take photos

The Railmatch GWR green is very close match to the Hatton's 14" Barclay although it would have been so much simpler if Hatton's did a 16" version in GWR green

post-34603-0-16355500-1543405884_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wow, nice work Chuffing. Love the colour, and the new cab looks great.

Thank you, as for the colour its Railmatch GWR green (out of an aerosol can)

When compared to my other Barclay it's not a bad colour match to Hatton's factory GWR green

post-34603-0-41406900-1543432235_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Short handrail knobs ordered and I’ve decided to redo the black paintwork on the smokebox and front of the tank.

I originally used satin black aerosol but I applied it too thick and it’s too glossy, I knew it was too cold to use aerosol but I was keen to get it done.

I’m also going to tidy up the paint around the chimney

The smokebox is currently sat in paint stripper awaiting a repaint, I think I’ll repaint it using my airbrush

I’ve also order a pot of railmatch GWR acrylic to redo the toolbox on my other Barclay

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Smokebox door stripped, just leave it to dry off before primmer and repainting in matt black

Managed to remove some of the orange peel from the body using automotive scratch remover

Difficult to see in a photo but I’ve ended up with a smoother surface to apply the transfers and the sheen will go once it’s given a coat of Matt varnish

I’ve also found that the scratch remover is revealing the rivet detail on the chimney, again the paint was applied too thickly

I appreciate it looks worse at the moment but I’m confident it will turn out okay

So today’s lessons:-
thin coats!
warmer environment!
don’t rush!

post-34603-0-14798600-1543520173_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Smokebox back in primmer and tank front sanded back and redone with matt black, there’s a bit of ‘pitting’ remaining on the front of the tank from the previous poor painting but I didn’t want to sand too far back to bare plastic....it’s not as bad as it was and I guess it adds character

Thin coats of Matt black looks so much better than an accidental heavy coat of satin (even though I intend to have it weathered) but at least the detail is back

It was much more comfortable for me using the airbrush in a warm room instead of using aerosols in a cold drafty shed

I’ve left the chimney in satin, just stripped back some of paint layers with T-cut scratch remover, weathering will take away the sheen

Also painted the cylinders black as per the preserved 701

The worst thing is that I should know better when it comes to spraying

post-34603-0-99466200-1543600251_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see this in its component parts, I haven't taken any of mine apart yet.

Aerosol spraying is problematic this time of year, that's why I'm getting the hang of an airbrush, less odorous when used indoors.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see this in its component parts, I haven't taken any of mine apart yet.

Aerosol spraying is problematic this time of year, that's why I'm getting the hang of an airbrush, less odorous when used indoors.

The Hattons Andrew Barclay comes apart very easily, perfect for a beginner like myself.

It’s actually the stuff that you do that has inspired me to attempt the cab change and repaint in the first place

• RMweb Gold

All that just for a slightly longer front end, different steps and slightly bigger cylinders....I must be mad

I was hoping my short handrail knobs and railmatch paint would arrive today but the postie has already been, looks like I’m back on my suburban coaches this weekend

I’m still amazed at how close the railmatch colour is to the Hattons factory colour

post-34603-0-68704200-1543666367_thumb.jpeg

post-34603-0-20866900-1544482056_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3