boiler van ADE 321072

18B

Just seen a pic of the quaint looking van,  ADE 321072. the pic caption mentions it stood in platform 5 of kings Cross in winter, presumably to pre heat stock? would anyone happen to know any more about the unusual van?

• Like 1

Pretty sure there was one similar to this at Kings Lynn back i n the early 1980s. I did the "Lynn Liner" tour with 46026 and am sure I saw a boiler van like this on the blocks.  Have a feeling it was a BR plate wagon chassis with the gubbins mounted in a custom built van body, but welcome to receive correction. 

Links refer

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54052-based-on-kings-lynn/page-3

EDIT

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/841103fw.htm

The photo of 46026 shows the van end off to the left.

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold

There used to be some at Norwich too. For some reason a quite a few turned up at thornaby in the late 80s and were on the depot for quite a while before going for scrap.

These vehicles could only be hauled in a train with the tanks drained as when full they were too heavy

Are you possibly referring to my picture found here.

15526621443_6316b964d0_b.jpgBBR3-24 by Paul James, on Flickr

Used to live at Finsbury Park, later Bounds Green, unless required at Kings Cross, or other carriage sidings like Bounds Green or Hornsey, when the static boiler at those locations was out of action/under maintanance, when it was used to provide a replacement train pre-heat supply. Had to be ready all year round, as the sleeper and TPO stock required all year round train heat supply to them.

Paul J.

Edited to include photo in post.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 2

Although a different body type, I have just scratchbuilt ADS70185, for my Malago vale inspired carriage siding layout. There was a heating system on site which bad an old boiler from a Western but it appears this may not have been working at some point so ADS70185 was deployed there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall regularly seeing the boiler van at 'the Cross' in the early 80's.

Does anyone have any plans for them or ideas for building one in oo gauge please.

Thanks in advance :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall regularly seeing the boiler van at 'the Cross' in the early 80's.

Does anyone have any plans for them or ideas for building one in oo gauge please.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi

I don't have plans but this would be an easy scratchbuild project in plasticard as the sides are flat. The roof could be formed by placing a piece of plasticard around a suitable cylindrical object and immersing in boiling water.

Using etched W Irons and suitable castings you would be able to construct a chassis again from plasticard.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Based on ex Plate Frames there were several of these, although 321072 had an unusual finish https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerdepartmentalcoach/e3b772cb4

Paul

The last vehicle overhauled by FP depot. Some shots of it  in October 1983, shortly after it moved to Bounds Green.

17158378455_b30af28514_b.jpgBBR-11-107 by Paul James, on Flickr

It even managed to get a TOPS panel on it.

16970859250_9344b421b8_b.jpgBBR-11-108 by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 5