Bachmann MK2F BR Blue and Grey with Lights

Chrisjh

Just purchased a MK2 BR Blue and Grey Buffet which looks great and so much better than the Hornby MK3s with internal lighting. The only problem is the light switches off after a while, I have cleaned the track and wheels any ideas'?

Many thanks,

Chris

Just purchased a MK2 BR Blue and Grey Buffet which looks great and so much better than the Hornby MK3s with internal lighting. The only problem is the light switches off after a while, I have cleaned the track and wheels any ideas'?

Many thanks,

Chris

That's a bit odd - are you using this MK2F coach on DCC ?   On DCC the lights (provided they are switched on) should remain on as long as the track is powered. 

Many thanks yes they are on DCC, the funny thing is all my other coaches such as the Hornby MK3's s Hornby MK1's, and Bachmann Pullmans work fine no probems at all, yest the Bachmann MK2 F's the lights go out sevral places around the track, yet the track is clean. 

Many thanks and Best,

Chris

• 3 years later...

I’m sure There was Mk2 aircons In push pull services, mostly on Aberdeen service but not exclusively from

what I can tell. Rakes seemed to be mixed aircon and Non-aircon at least

some of time.  Now whether they were Ds, Es or Fs I’m not sure… I seem to recall folks respraying Ds on here to Scotrail which may provide a clue. The person who’ll know on here is @Flood

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Bachmann have replied and they reckon there wasnt any scotrail liveried Mk2fs working the aberdeens........are they wrong as im sure imve seen phots of them with a DBSO on the end.  they werent the sole presvere of Mk3s were they?

the photos ive seen indicate it wasn't unknown.....but was the exception rather than the norm, because ISTR the requirement was the stock had to be disc braked...

the original mk2s used with the 27s were converted to disc brakes I seem to recall

the DBSOs normally ran with mk3s

Edited by pheaton

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’m sure There was Mk2 aircons In push pull services, mostly on Aberdeen service but not exclusively from

what I can tell. Rakes seemed to be mixed aircon and Non-aircon at least

some of time.  Now whether they were Ds, Es or Fs I’m not sure… I seem to recall folks respraying Ds on here to Scotrail which may provide a clue. The person who’ll know on here is @Flood

Yes that's correct, all 2Ds and I think a couple of first class open 2Es. I seem to think coach (5813 2E?) was in scotrail but used on inter city anglo scottish services. IIRC during late 1989 scotrail swapped mk 3s with intercity taking inter city liveried 2Fs as a replacement but not bothering to repaint the red stripes. 

I think Lima did a 2E FO in Scotrail. 

I don’t recall photos of intercity mk2s

in push pull takes towards end but I think I’ve seen photos of intercity liveried Mk3s being used- I believe it was so they could release the Scotrail mk3s for refurb prior to planned cascade - I suspect which had been delayed by 158 woes.

as a kid I remember being excited to see first 158 arrive at Stirling… little did I know that this was the death knell of proper trains in Scotland

All the dedicated push-pull TSOs, and TSOTs, were Mk2D stock. The firsts were four Mk2E: 3245, 3247, 3248 and 3265 plus one Mk2F: 3284, which was originally used as a Mk3A replacement.

From about 1987 there were also two Mk2A FKs to act as cover as required: 13456 and 13461. These remained blue and grey.

From 1985 the DBSOs ran with both Mk3A stock and the Mk2 air-con stock. Hence the building of 9711, 9712 and 9713 for the additional Aberdeen push-pull services. 9714 was officially a replacement for 9706.

9711 to 9713 kept their tread brakes, all the other DBSOs were given disc brakes to match the Mk3A stock. In reality there was no demarcation and they were just used as required.

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2021 at 23:37, Flood said:

All the dedicated push-pull TSOs, and TSOTs, were Mk2D stock. The firsts were four Mk2E: 3245, 3247, 3248 and 3265 plus one Mk2F: 3284, which was originally used as a Mk3A replacement.

I've got a note that Mk2F FO 3312 was also painted in Scotrail livery in the mid-80s, alongside 3284.  Could this also have found its way into a push-pull rake at some point?

Steve

9 hours ago, 55020 said:

I've got a note that Mk2F FO 3312 was also painted in Scotrail livery in the mid-80s, alongside 3284.  Could this also have found its way into a push-pull rake at some point?

Steve

The 1986 Platform 5 Combined has 3295, 3312, 3337 and 3360 all allocated to Craigentinny but still in blue and grey. They were transferred over in October 1985 and transferred back out: 3337 6/86, 3360 8/86, 3295 10/86, 3312 11/86. I am guessing that they were used as cover whilst the ScotRail Mk3A FO stock was converted to CO and as such would have been used on the push-pull services.

The July 1986 Railway Observer has reference to 3312 being in ScotRail livery. The 1987 Platform 5 Combined has it at Wembley and in InterCity livery. It is, therefore, possible that 3312 carried ScotRail livery from April 1986 to November 1986 but I have not seen any photos to confirm or deny this.

• Thanks 1