Digikeijs Detection for Automation

colpatben

We have a layout that is going to be on permanent display and during testing it has become apparent that using a Hornby Elite controller and Hornby RM software is not going to provide the level of repeat accuracy in positioning trains after each circuit.

Bexhill West to Crowhurst via Sidley  

We have limited success with using RocRail for time based programming ie

Loco sounds carriage doors slamming

Guards Whistle

Loco short whistle

Train leaves station

Accelerates to cruising speed

Runs around layout (time taken 155 seconds)

Train Decelerates.

Train stops at station

But the stop position is not repeatable!

So it is time to upgrade to train detection and full automation.

Block Detection to locate the train ie Current sensing in order to accurately locate that trains maybe 40 sections could be needed.

Digikeijs DR4088CS

However as the locos are fitted with Zimo MX 648 sound decoders that have Railcom would this be compatible with DR5088RC if so is this the better detector in this instance?

There are two Reverse loop modules on two Y junctions how would I handle the detection in those locations?

‘Spot’ train detector needed to trigger train deceleration at one location and stop at a particular location ie at the platform end. (Reed switch and magnets may not be practical as the track is Kato and already laid, IR Dot practical but expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

With 6 platforms and additional sidings this would be a minimum of 20 ‘Spot’ Detectors.

Digikeijs: DR4088LN-Opto.

I wish to retain the Turnout accessory decoders which are DCC Concepts ADS-8SX

Controller: Digikeijs DR5000. One output to the Loconet and the other to the track including Turnout decoders.

Software: iTrain or Train Controller (Will this currently track trains via Railcom ?)

Does this seem feasible?

Both programmes will handle what you want, my suggestion would be iTrain especially as the costs for TC9 are going up dramatically ( and after evaluating both I decided on iTrain) - there is a long current thread in Computer Control where the OP has also ended up with iTrain as best value.

The DR5088RC work aeemleasly with iTrain and identify all locos that have Railcom chips instantly - I know this because that is exactly what I do!

What you propose will most definitely work - feel free to ask me more questions and I will help where I can

Edited by WIMorrison

Hi,

I've used Train Controller for about 15 years and can confirm it will certainly do everything on your list and much, much more.  A very small example, watching your M7 loco run on your layout, with Train Controller you can mute the sound when the loco is out of sight in the tunnels.  There are countless other features that would take forever to describe   However for the size and complexity of your layout it may be overkill and, as the price for the Gold version has just risen by 15% to 574 euros, that may well be an expense too far.  Incidentally Railcom is not a necessity with Train Controller as it uses train tracking through a block system to track trains - it can be an advantage, but not a necessity.  You can see Train Controller in operation on my layout if you like by following the link in the signature area below.

I use the Digikeijs 4088 'Opto' feedback modules with reed switches - they're good value and provide 16 inputs.  Using reed switches for 'passing contact' train detection would save you quite a fortune over IR options and I find retro-fitting reeds to already ballasted track quite easy - they can be hidden quite well with a little patching up with ballast - up to you of course.

You would need 2 reversing modules for your Y junctions, several commercial options are available.  

You may be aware that you can download free trial versions of both iTrain and Train Controller for your evaluation.  Train Controller is limited to evaluation over 30 different days but you may not connect it to a layout. 

For a good insight into Train Controller there's Rudy's great thread on here:  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99688-videos-on-working-with-traincontroller/

I hope this helps a bit and good luck with your project.

Cheers … Alan

+1 for traincontroller, its the best program you can get. Yes its expensive for the gold version £500 in fact, but you will never have to buy it again, you own it for life init. Its an outstanding piece of software that can do things with automation no other program can dream of. It really makes freeware programs look feeble in comparison, Ive had a play on it automating 8 trains and allowing manual control of 4 others etc, it does the lot, its very advanced and theres a big learning curve, have a look at ruudys online youtube videos.

Traincontroller is the best software ever for the digikeijs system, i can 100% vouch for that, its unreal.

If you want basic time based automation, the digikeijs dr5000 does it right from opening the box, it has a scripting window built into it.

Edited by Graham Radish