Seasonal scale change..

I've got me a little ground frame to play with.. I've been putting off making a start on it but now we have a nice warm spell i thought it was time to play. If there is any interest i'll post the odd update on progress. It is proposed to have three Annett's locks on the low numbered end to receive a long section staff and release two short section staffs. On the high end will be level crossing keylocks. Now to find something for the sunburn...

post-4034-127240096214_thumb.jpg

I've got me a little ground frame to play with.. I've been putting off making a start on it but now we have a nice warm spell i thought it was time to play. If there is any interest i'll post the odd update on progress. It is proposed to have three Annett's locks on the low numbered end to receive a long section staff and release two short section staffs. On the high end will be level crossing keylocks. Now to find something for the sunburn...

Please keep us posted on progress. Will there be any mechanical locking? Mick.

There will be mechanical locking. As the box will need to switch out there will be a king lever. The level crossing will need to be worked when the box is closed. The locking should be interesting. I have assembled all the parts that came with the frame. The locking trays are from an LNER Railway Signal Co 1946 pattern frame ex Hitchin Yard. I've started to make the framework to hold the circuit controllers and electric locks.

post-4034-127249157515_thumb.jpg

Most of the activity has been directed towards painting but i have made a start on some of the additional steelwork required. The angle is mounted lower than the BRS-SM drawing states but i want to keep the bottom locking tray bracket free in case i need to use it. There will be provision for two rows of circuit controllers behind the frame. New steel has been ordered for the tappets and the support bar for the electric locks. The scrounging process has turned up a few other parts that will make life easier later on. More about that anon.

post-4034-127262974473_thumb.jpg

Hi there LNERGE,

Thats interesting stuff and i'm pleased to see you're doing your own little bit of preservation there! It seems to be coming along nicely.

Where on earth do you pick this kind of kit up from, please?

Is it something you are just "in the know" about, i wonder?

Cheers,

John E.

Hi there LNERGE,

Thats interesting stuff and i'm pleased to see you're doing your own little bit of preservation there! It seems to be coming along nicely.

Cheers,

John E.

I bought this frame in 1988 and this is it's first real use in all that time.

Hi there LNERGE,

Cheers,

John E.

eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LNER-Signal-Box-Lever-Frame_W0QQitemZ170467891380QQcategoryZ4124QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4012.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9023305320988770938

No its not now in my flat, I didn't bid :P. There have been some UpperQ and a ground signal on there recently too though the ground signal looked like it needed digging out of the owners garden hedge!

I've discovered some point rodding still in situ around the corner from work this week so I need to appropriate the saddle at some point to model some better ones. The line closed nearly 30 years ago but the BR cream picket fence is also there in the hedge next to the location of a level crossing!

Ah the good old Romford frame. I took in out of the box many years ago and it's been kicking around for a while. I sold the whole thing to the ebayer who made a smaller frame for himself and sold on what was left... The only trouble is my boss saw it a bought it for me... Doh.

Edit.. It is an excellent frame though as it saw very little use as most of the signals were on the panel. It is fitted with BR standard locking trays which has to be the easiest locking to work with.

Today's work was cutting notches in tappets. Because the tappets are from a very large Railway signal Co frame they are very long and very thick. The first job was to ensure they ran freely through the tray and then shorten them. They were marked out, then checked and checked again, then cut.

post-4034-127385669085_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two full days working on the frame, the first taken up with cleaning all the parts in the locking tray and stamping everything with identification marks. Today the level crossing key locks made it onto the frame and a trial fitting of the Annett's locks.

post-4034-127490256074_thumb.jpgpost-4034-127490263958_thumb.jpg

The bar to carry the electric locks was added next and then the angles to support the circuit controllers were rigged up to check everything will fit. This also helps to get and idea of how long the operating rods will need to be.post-4034-127490281325_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple of sessions on the frame. Tuesday was a fairly good day progress wise but the weather was awful. Today was quite the opposite though some good progress was made.

The supports for the instrument shelf were fitted and also the bar to take the SYX economizers.post-4034-127566744141_thumb.jpg

The Annett's locks for the long and short section staffs are now fixed in place and attached to the interlocking. This has allowed me to lubricate the locking and get the lids on the trays. A start was made on the circuit controllers to effect starting signal release. I can now make the linkages etc.post-4034-127566744141_thumb.jpg The circuit controller used is a scrap one to give me an idea where to drill the operating arm. This has to be modified as there is only one inch travel available from the Annett's locks. Bringing the drive nearer the fulcrum will increase the available stroke.

post-4034-127566774365_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Further good progress has been made on the ground frame. Last week the circuit controllers were fitted and today the electric locks and new tappets made it onto the frame. The disconnection box has been attached as has some trunking. The Annett's lock mountings are reinforced by some rather large brackets and the same with the level crossing key locks.

The circuit controller bands were set and i couldn't resist getting out a few straps and a battery to see how the locks worked on power. Everything worked beautifully. No excuses now. I need to get on with the wiring. I just hope one drum of 0.75 A2 is enough..post-4034-127662303223_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The ground frame is now wired and ready for shipment to it's new home. Last weekend there was an event at the site where the frame has been worked on. I strapped up the necessary terminals to provide a temporary feed to all the electric locks so people could play. No problems came to light so it's all down to a coat of paint or three and a lorry with hiab..

Next up are the three point motors as these will need to leave on the same lorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived