Smoke deflectors for the Hornby Lord Nelson class

I have been working on 3d printed smoke deflectors for the Hornby Lord Nelson class; the Southern olive green version is in circa 1930 condition and lacks smoke deflectors. I wanted my model in circa 1935 condition with smoke deflectors, so I have produced a 3d model for 3d printing for a pair of them.

I have yet to test this (I have ordered a pair from Shapeways just now, but it will take a while to arrive), but, since I have a 3d model, I thought that it would be worthwhile to make it available now to anyone who wants to have a go.

The 3d model can be downloaded here. It is made available using a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike licence, which means that people are free to make use of the 3d file so long as any modified versions are also shared under this licence and I am credited. One can download the .stl, modify it and 3d print it as one chooses.

If anyone would like the original .blend file that I used to create this to be uploaded somewhere, please let me know, and I will make it available under the same licence.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Does anyone know / your thoughts please ...

Is there a plan to produce 30850 LN in DC only - blanking plate in place of DCC sound chip presumably?

Would there be a market to sell the sound chip, and convert a DCC sound 30850 LN to DC only?

Al.

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Just downloaded it. I have some things to print today so I'll add one to the slicer file if theres enough room and let you know how it goes. I've got a photon resin printer.

Excellent - you might get yours before I get mine!

I ordered mine from Shapeways in black MJF plastic so that I did not need to paint them - it will be interesting to see how these turn out on different printers.

• Like 1

This is straight off the printer in  translucent green that SR originally produced them in!  Actually its not the best colour resin but I've found it the most forgiving when getting the exposure times  right but it makes the details a bit hard to pick up and the supports need removing and cleaning up.

They need to go out into the sun to cure before I can paint them but its 6.30AM in winter here so the sun isn't up for another half hour... I'll post them up again  tomorrow when they should be painted and hopefully more presentable.

P1210134.JPG.9475531a53d2027a467b43817c939f79.JPG

P1210140.JPG.20c13740f83ec7439dc5f2f8974acccc.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, jamespetts said:

Gosh, it's quite a thing that these have been printed in the antipodes before I have my own copies of them! Thank you for posting; I shall look forward to your testing results.

Yes, its to do with time zones which means we are actually living in the future down here and have flying cars and stuff!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I have looked at it too and it would not print well on an FDM printer as the raised lip and rivet detail on both sides means the side next to the bed on the FDM printer would be very grainy at best as there would have to be a support layer over the whole model to raise it. Looking at it, should the front rivet be overlapping the lip as it does? Hope it comes out to your satisfaction from Shapeways but I think this one is best from an SDL printer, as shown by monkeysarefun or plasticard.

I received mine to-day and tried them out on my Nelson.

Some revisions are needed: the step slot is too high, so it does not fit over the step well. The rivet detail is not clear enough, and they extend too far forwards and not far enough backwards.

Here are some pictures of the first version fitted.

20190725_202018.jpg

20190725_202034.jpg

Edited by jamespetts

I have now updated the file on My Mini Factory with corrections to the issues in the version shown above, and further uploaded this to Shapeways to allow people to print this in the black MJF shown above.

I have ordered a set of the version 2 types of these myself, and I will update here when I have had a chance to try them.

Edit: The Shapeways versions are available here for the left-hand deflector, and here for the right-hand deflector. The .stl can also be downloaded from Shapeways.

710x528_28374654_15294506_1564099709.jpg

Edited by jamespetts

I have now tested version 2 of these smoke deflectors:

48432709646_e37552b368_h.jpgLord Nelson smoke deflectors mk. 2 by James Petts, on Flickr

48432713591_6ecae945f4_h.jpgLord Nelson smoke deflectors mk 2 by James Petts, on Flickr

They are improved as against version 1, but still needed some more refinement: the slot for the step was still fractionally too high and too long, and I had accidentally produced two left hand versions instead of one left hand and one right hand version. I have now uploaded version 3 to Shapeways and My Mini Factory, and have ordered a further set. Hopefully, the third version will be the final version.

Version 3:20190808_193651.jpg.75c1b00c351c32c398a1182f3e848683.jpg20190808_195734.jpg.ee97c14d0c849d8fe2f48794410b849a.jpg

The rivets are clearer, and the left/right issue is solved.

I wonder whether the step slot still needs to be a little lower and shorter. This does seem to be much closer to a correct design, however.

Has anyone else had a go at printing/fitting these?

I have now made some further modifications to this for version 4:

710x528_28534513_15294527_1565305946.jpg

As before, the latest version is available both from Shapeways and My Mini Factory. The changes are:

(1) the step slot is slightly lower, which should allow the deflectors to sit square on the running board; and

(2) the overall height is slightly greater as pictures of the prototype show that these deflectors covered the handrails fully.

• Like 1

I see from Shapeways that somebody has ordered a set in black natural versatile plastic. If it was anyone from this thread, I should be very grateful if whoever it is could let me know how they come out in that material, since I have only tried them in multi-jet fusion.

13 hours ago, jamespetts said:

I have now made some further modifications to this for version 4:

710x528_28534513_15294527_1565305946.jpg

As before, the latest version is available both from Shapeways and My Mini Factory. The changes are:

(1) the step slot is slightly lower, which should allow the deflectors to sit square on the running board; and

(2) the overall height is slightly greater as pictures of the prototype show that these deflectors covered the handrails fully.

The finish is a very good representation of painted chipboard....

I imagine that resin might be finer, but that would need painting and would be very brittle.

If anyone tries to print these in resin, I should be interested to see the result.

48 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

The finish is a very good representation of painted chipboard....

Edited by jamespetts

I have recently been notified by Shapeways that these are too thin to be printed in black natural versatile plastic (it is extremely inefficient that this was not automatically checked), so they are not available from Shapeways in that material. Whoever ordered them will need to print them in black MJF or print them in resin and prime/paint them black.

As these are available under a Creative Commons licence, people are, of course, quite free to download the .stl and make them thicker, although they would then be considerably thicker than scale, as, in reality, these were just thin sheet metal.

Here is version 4:

48554721947_357833a154_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson by James Petts, on Flickr

48554577911_873cd62e84_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson by James Petts, on Flickr

48554577336_ae742d5e48_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson by James Petts, on Flickr

The slot for the step now seems to be in the correct place and the height seems correct, but the cut-out for the steam pipe is a bit too large. I have now produced a version 5 with this detail change, and this is now available on Shapeways and My Mini Factory (at the same links as above).

This time, I have tried ordering the part in black resin from 3dCompare rather than black MJF from Shapeways, as the texture on the Shapeways print was not ideal and there was significant inconsistency in the quality of the rivet detail.

I shall post further updates when I have the new parts.

• RMweb Gold

Looking good James! 

I was just thinking though, if you do this again, you might want to consider doing a prototype in card before a 3D printed one to speed up the process and save a bit of cash.

• 2 months later...

Attempting to have these printed in black resin failed: I never had any response from the people doing the printing, so I have printed the latest versions (version 5) with Shapeways. I attempted to print these both in MJF and black natural versatile plastic, and, surprisingly, the latter produced higher quality and finer detail.

Here are the deflectors in MJF ("Black professional plastic"):

48997771188_0c60e791be_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson with 3d printed smoke deflectors mark 5 (MJF) by James Petts, on Flickr

and here they are in black natural versatile plastic:

48998316311_5ee28d048b_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson with 3d printed smoke deflectors mark 5 (Black natural versatile plastic) by James Petts, on Flickr

I have updated the Shapeways shop (link above) with the latest photographs. As a reminder, these are available under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence and I do not make a profit on these from the Shapeways shop as this is not intended to be a commercial enterprise.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been problems with Shapeways in printing this product. Somebody ordered a set in "Black Premium Versatile Plastic", a material in which this had been made available but which I had not printed myself. Although Shapeways accepted the order, it later e-mailed me to state that it could not print this in this material because the part in front of the cut-out is too thin. It was very unclear whether this applied also to the "natural versatile plastic",  and after repeated queries to Shapeways, I have eventually been told that, because this has been designated as not printable in one material in what is described as a "family", it is not printable in any other materials in that "family". No explanation has been given as to the rationale behind this, nor as to why this should be a problem given that one pair previously printed without difficulties.

I have found it very difficult to find anywhere else online that will print these as most places will reject them on account of being too thin. I recommend that people download the .stl file from the Shapeways link above and either print them themselves, find another supplier who can print these reliably (and let us know about it), or try re-uploading to Shapeways themselves and printing in black natural versatile plastic to circumvent the insanity described above.

As noted previously, these are made available under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 licence, so people are free to download, modify, re-upload and share these as much as they please.

• 10 months later...

I have tried re-printing these using a black resin material ordered from 3dCompare. The results are below: the locomotive in the foreground is shown with the new deflectors, and that in the background with the old.

50445457891_f4d8aae2c7_h.jpgLord Nelson smoke deflectors by James Petts, on Flickr

50445458981_d5cd0af881_h.jpgLord Nelson smoke deflectors by James Petts, on Flickr

50444770433_144fc84ca6_h.jpgLord Nelson smoke deflectors by James Petts, on Flickr

These are the old deflectors.

50445461886_9af5e3eafa_h.jpgLord Nelson smoke deflectors by James Petts, on Flickr

As can be seen, the black resin material gives more detail and a smoother finish.

Edited by jamespetts