Can anyone identify these 5 pole motors please?

TEAMYAKIMA

26 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I think the one on the right is an MW005, making the one on the left the Romford Bulldog.

The MW005 was much superior.

Many thanks - I'm not certain the one on the left is a BULLDOG - it was just a guess based on my memory of the time  - I assume it must be a BULLDOG but could anyone confirm this please?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Many thanks - I'm not certain the one on the left is a BULLDOG - it was just a guess based on my memory of the time  - I assume it must be a BULLDOG but could anyone confirm this please?

One thing I do remember, is that the Bulldog had a longer magnet.

The one on the right looks like an Airfix MRRC MW005,   They take X04 armatures and are direct X04 replacements, except yours looks to have the mounting lugs on the from bearing plate filed off.  They are smooth gutless devices but have a lower profile brush holder which makes fitting them in cast kits a lot easier.

I use the armatures interchangeably with X04s 3 pole ones.

The left one is a bit of a mystery, not an X04, it doesn't have the nice self aligning front bearing or the oil retaining felts. Possibly a Romford, definitely an X04 replacement.

Both have low geared worms, I guess Romford 60:1.

Make sure they run, If they do 

I would put them on Flea Bay. as 2 lots.   "X04 replacement 5 pole Motor, Romford? suit Hornby or Kit Built. "     "X04 replacement 5 pole Motor, Airfix? suit Hornby or Kit Built. "    Take lots of crisp  close up  photos with a camera, not a phone,   I would start at £5 + £3 P+P each and allow offers. (Over £7.50) .  

They will actually go as a large letter for 80 p just keep the width down to under 1" but with cost of Jiffy bag etc

The worms would need changing to suit Tri-ang or Hornby Railways gears. 40 tooth, or later 28 tooth gear wheels.

Having the lugs missing on the front plate would stop that motor being an easy fit as well.

With that motor, possibly the easy way out would be to transplant the armature into an X.04, or new type 1970s X.03 (with black plastic worm for 28 tooth gear).

Or fit a "new" or recycled front plate from another motor.

The width limit for Royal Mail Large Letter is in metric.

25mm, or 2.5cm.

The motors should fit no problems. Just watch the thickness of the packing.

I am using cardboard boxes for motors at the moment, as a padded envelope can be a bit thick...

Oh...it is a Good Idea to send items by "Signed For" post, so that, hopefully, the buyer cannot claim that they didn't get the package.

It is, I believe, an eBay requirement for sellers ( for the eBay guarantee system), despite them listing non tracked postage as recommended when you are compiling a listing!

More eBay madness...

Regards,

Sarah. :)

Edited by Sarahagain

Thanks to everyone for this info - brings back memories of when I sold these for a living back in the dim and distant past!

Anyway I have listed the MW 005 on ebay - and it already has a bid!

I regret the BULLDOG is dead and no amount of cleaning/oiling can restore it but I might just list it for the brushes as a spares/repairs job - all money donated to Twickenham MRC!

4 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Romford Bulldog motor,cheap Japenese imports sounded the death knell for these.

Ray.

46781989815_093db75f0f.jpg

Things have moved on a bit from the days these motors were available, modern 5 pole skew wound motors are now much better, and there is a world of difference between the older Romford style gears to those available from High Level, Branchlines, Comet etc especially with the gear box style against the motor mount

Whilst I might buy the odd MW005 I never buy any X04's. However I have bought quite a few locos described as dead, upon inspection quite often its either the wheels and pickups and or armatures that need a good clean and light oil where appropriate. Also I have aided performance of these types of motors either by replacing the magnets for more modern replacement ones available, or just attaching small button rare earth magnets

Unless a specific reason is listed for a loco is not working, if its cheap enough I feel its always worth a risk, especially when a X04 type motor is involved

Edited by hayfield

I had planned to put the non-working BULLDOG in the bin - other club members told me to do that - but based on this thread's comments I have just listed it on ebay and got two watchers within 10 minutes!!

Maybe there is a market for non-working motors after all!!!!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I had planned to put the non-working BULLDOG in the bin - other club members told me to do that - but based on this thread's comments I have just listed it on ebay and got two watchers within 10 minutes!!

Maybe there is a market for non-working motors after all!!!!

I think with the Bulldog its one for the collectors and I think superior to the Triang/Hornby product, being worth repairing

I have several X03's in various states of not working, I think in the autumn I will make up a small package as they might be of use to others

I can confirm that there is definitely a market for old X.03, X.04 , etc. Motors.

I have seen plenty sell on eBay over the last two weeks.

As long as all the parts are there, any dodgy armatures can usually be replaced or repaired, rewound.

Dodgy magnets can usually be replaced or re-magnatized.