what is here?

InkedB683532-KINGS-CROSS-GOODS-YARD-VIEW-2_26TH-NOV-1947Aerial.jpg.e5dfa0bb07b0c07465c28622527b9fc5_LI.jpg.815b966ccb0b5f8a9cc9b045d6c23ff5.jpg

I see this photo in the 16 ton Mineral wagons thread and wonder if anyone could tell me what was at the location ringed with the blue line? It looks a nice idea for a small layout.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Premium

There had been a 40 foot turntable on that site. I recall there being a couple of ex-LMS period 1 steel body open thirds converted to carriage steam heating boilers stabled there in the 70s.

There was a larger 60 foot turntable the other side of the gas holders.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As Mr M has said, looked like a Stabling/turning/Watering point.

https://squaremilehealthwalks.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/st-pancras-gasholders/

One of the water tanks still there in 1990.

Engineers by 1947?

The southern retaining wall on Goods Way did make an appearance in the Lady Killers.

As ever, Google is your friend.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2019 at 14:01, rob D2 said:

Give us a clue ? Is that London ?:) 

if it is and that’s the approach to st Pancras , looks like location of Cambridge street stabling point which had its own thread recently 

Cambridge Street Diesel servicing point was north of Regent's Canal and not in the photo.

As I have already stated it was where a 40 ft turntable use to be.  EX LMS steel body period 1 Third opens converted to steam heating vans were parked there in the early 70s. The 60 ft turntable hiding behind the gas holders was still in place in the early 70s, I recall seeing a Peak being turned on about 1973.

On 08/10/2019 at 14:01, rob D2 said:

Give us a clue ? Is that London ?:) 

if it is and that’s the approach to st Pancras , looks like location of Cambridge street stabling point which had its own thread recently 

It is indeed London Rob.

Thanks guys, I didn't think it was Cambridge St. I used to go fishing on the Regents Canal in the early 80's and loved that area railway wise but it looks like there used to be a lot more going on then.

Sounds like when the turntable went it was just a few sidings to store stuff.

Got me thinking it thought that looked like an interesting corner to model, another idea to add to the already overloaded ideas box! 

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2019 at 09:46, Clive Mortimore said:

There had been a 40 foot turntable on that site. I recall there being a couple of ex-LMS period 1 steel body open thirds converted to carriage steam heating boilers stabled there in the 70s.

There was a larger 60 foot turntable the other side of the gas holders.

so the sidings shown here on the historic OS:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.5335&lon=-0.1279&layers=170&b=1

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.5335&lon=-0.1279&layers=168&b=1

cheers,

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1