MR/LMS/BR Johnson 1377 class tank in 4mm

k22009

• RMweb Gold

I know there's a really nice Bachmann rtr offering but after making a Craftsman kit a good few moons ago i had a hankering to try another, but one with a few more details added.

So after consulting Illustrated Midland Locomotives vol 3 i prepared the drawings.

I wasn't sure which variation to model so on the etch i've included for the original round top and the belpaire fireboxes, both with open cab, one type of enclosed cab (as there were at least a couple of varieties) and also a rear weatherboard to keep my options open.

295977896_johnson1377.jpg.fae63b2fa6041a5cfee9230fa5934dbe.jpg

Drawings are shown with a roadrunner gearbox with a drivestretcher 2 and a small chinese can motor.

Well the etch duly arrived after a few weeks so i have a nice Christmas project to tackle.

I've decided it will be the roundtop version with open cab and rear weatherboard.

20211007_155622.jpg.6f6f9a9d445a19db992db43674cf3fb8.jpg

Frames, spacers, footplate and sandbox supports, and also the fold up sandboxes removed. As with all my other recent locos i've included for half etched lines to the inside to act as a guide where the horn block guide cut outs need to be if so required.

20211019_150908.jpg.f99ceed2d8e77a5e7eb2d6de9fa55204.jpg

Dave

Edited by k22009
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rka said:

This looks interesting, would this etch become available to buy? I have always been fascinated by the Swansea vale railway and I'm pretty sure that these ran on it. 

Hi, when the build is cosmetically complete i'll know better if mods are required to the artwork. I'll probably ask if anyone is interested then.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Coupling rods made up and checked with the jigs on the chassis, the brakes have double hangers and are retained on wires by the hanger brackets (i'll take better pictures later)

20211109_171920.jpg.8c2ef64c6698cce4300a9402d0c4a017.jpg

20211109_171927.jpg.674cbfdad3c0ef8165a63bf327ec3ec9.jpg

Onto the footplate, where i've folded up the splasher sides and rolled the tops to fit into the half etched recess. 

20211026_164659.jpg.0b2aed541afe9fb87c2cb557268c1384.jpg

After soldering those on i formed the tank sides and added the beading to the top, the cab front sits on top of this. Here the first mistake has appeared. I hatched the cab front window frames with the wrong colour on the artwork, red instead of blue so the frames on this version are at the front rather than in the cab as they should be, so i'll correct that on the artwork. I'll fit the tank tops and bunker next before starting on the boiler assembly. I'll leave everything tack soldered until i get the boiler unit to check for fit.

20211031_114838.jpg.eea1880fdd7709557056fe7a44bd1c6e.jpg

Edited by k22009
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I've marked the center line of both the boiler/firebox and smokebox before rolling to suit the formers. I've added locating holes to the formers so it will locate into the cab front accurately and each of the inner diameters in the formers is a little different to the adjacent one so its easier to solder these when joining 2 parts together.

20211101_120206.jpg.9042eeed0fb457c585dc9c5aab6b560e.jpg

The boiler bands are somewhat overscale but in the flesh they don't look too bad, they are easily filed off if not required.

20211101_161815.jpg.0c39fde2d7c3e11749908b7adb42cec6.jpg

And test fit to the body just to check the tank sides are a good fit to the boiler, i can solder everything up now on the footplate, however i'll leave the boiler and smokebox assembly as a separate unit for ease of painting. There is a nut in the smokebox base which lines up with both the footplate and chassis spacer.

20211101_161850.jpg.05892488ca81df07c0f0db70c5a1836f.jpg

There is a small gap at the smokebox and splasher interface (you can see it clearly through the smokebox opening) so i'll modify the artwork to correct that.

Next it's on with the detailing, rear bunker, lamp irons, steps, cylinder cover, castings, handrails and pipework.

Edited by k22009
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Just wondered if you had any photos of the completed loco?

Hi Mark, It's still in the paint queue but i'm hoping soon to do a batch before the weather changes.

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Gorgeous work - and if I may ask, are the chimney, dome etc 3D printed?

Thanks Mark,

As 41516 said they aren't 3d printed but just resin clones mostly from my spares box.

I was at the Perth show last weekend and was asking at one of the stands about getting some of the more common parts like Johnson chimney, Deeley smokebox doors. Midland dome and safety valve etc 3d printed, but needed to know what sort of drawings they would need to get the ball rolling. The resin castings aren't always good quality with the usual problem of tiny air holes appearing as it sets. My intention was to provide something that could be used as a guide for purchasing from the likes of Colin at Alan Gibson. Although with some models (especially those with tenders) buying a batch of lost wax castings as nice as they are from suppliers can really add a considerable cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 41516 said:

Some of the bits Dave provided with other kits have been resin cast clones from other kits I believe and not 3D printed.

Ah, that makes sense - thank you

Mark

8 minutes ago, k22009 said:

Hi Mark, It's still in the paint queue but i'm hoping soon to do a batch before the weather changes.

Thanks Mark,

As 41516 said they aren't 3d printed but just resin clones mostly from my spares box.

I was at the Perth show last weekend and was asking at one of the stands about getting some of the more common parts like Johnson chimney, Deeley smokebox doors. Midland dome and safety valve etc 3d printed, but needed to know what sort of drawings they would need to get the ball rolling. The resin castings aren't always good quality with the usual problem of tiny air holes appearing as it sets. My intention was to provide something that could be used as a guide for purchasing from the likes of Colin at Alan Gibson. Although with some models (especially those with tenders) buying a batch of lost wax castings as nice as they are from suppliers can really add a considerable cost.

I can certainly see a market for these parts being 3d printed, as it's becoming more difficult to source WM or lost wax parts for certain models.

Anyway, again, nice work 👍

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just finished priming 1 of the 2 '1377' kits you sent me. 

Rivets will be added next using Archers resin rivets as the brass strip i knew i wouldnt be able to fixed as neatly as i would want them to be.

Not as neat and tidy as your example but its coming along. 2nd kit will be the Belpaire version. 

Buffers came from Lanarkshire models. 

The only issue i had was working out how the lamp irons folded up lol so ended up using brass rod.

The main mistake was adding the rear cab panel and coal bunker before i added in the top trim which resulted in a sloping cab roof. Note for the next build!!!!

Great kit though and thank you!!!!

20221123_130302.jpg

20221123_130222.jpg

20221123_130143.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Archers rivets added. One thing i have noticed is that Halfords etching paint isnt adhering as well as it did on previos models i have painted. The only thing i have done differently over the past 3 kits is the cleaning. I have been using an ultrasonuc cleaning solution for removing flux and i changed to Ciff kitchen spray from Astonish. The next one will be cleaned differently to see if it makes a difference.

I am also part through the Belpaire version kit which has extra coal rails and will be fitted with vac hoses for passanger train working.

20221201_070154.jpg

20221201_070149.jpg

20221201_070144.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I am conscious that i have hijacked your topic and more than happy to create my own to continue the saga if you prefer. 

The kit is just superb and both have been a real pleasure to build!

Thanks

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Thanks, it's great to see how your getting on with them, more than happy for you to continue, at least when other members search it'll be in one thread.

Cheers

• Like 1