The Loop - 0-16.5

Giles

• RMweb Premium

Hi Giles,

I've only just come accross "The Loop" and I think its stunning! Its very atmospheric, and makes me think I'm looking at a real place.

I havent had time to read through the thread yet, only look at the pictures; but I'm sure I'll come back with some questions.

Thanks very much,

Dave.T

That's a really impressive layout - it's inspiring me to get on with my own 0-16.5 effort. I'd be interested to know what you have used for the clumps of weeds growing around the track, especially in the first and second photos and between the rails in the third photo in this post.

That's a really impressive layout - it's inspiring me to get on with my own 0-16.5 effort. I'd be interested to know what you have used for the clumps of weeds growing around the track, especially in the first and second photos and between the rails in the third photo in this post.

Hi,

Some of the grass is tufts from Continental Models, based in Llwyngwril, Gwynedd. These little tufts are beautiful ??“ they??™re not cheap, but well worth it. (I actually bought them from the shop at the Ffestiniog!), The other grass in the track-bed is that fibre puffed-on stuff - I forget the name I'm afraid, but it's fairly common. Other grass is dyed and painted carpet underlay, gued and teased out.

Dave, I'm glad you like it - I'll tell you anything you want!

All the best,

Giles

- watch out for a full feature in the popular press some time in the new year cool.gif

...thanks to some extraordinary photography from Chris!

The Loop has also been invited to the 7mm NG Ass. show in May, and hopefully to ExpoNG! Both of which I'm very much looking forward to.

Hi,Some of the grass is tufts from Continental Models, based in Llwyngwril, Gwynedd. These little tufts are beautiful ??“ they??™re not cheap, but well worth it. (I actually bought them from the shop at the Ffestiniog!), The other grass in the track-bed is that fibre puffed-on stuff - I forget the name I'm afraid, but it's fairly common. Other grass is dyed and painted carpet underlay, gued and teased out.

Thanks for that Giles. Hopefully they'll have some of their grass at Warley so I can do some shopping.

Paul

Hello Giles,

Just found this thread and have looked at post in the original posts nd have to agree that it is stunning piece of work. Don't put your work down it is right up there with the best.

Just one question who makes the Marshall please?

Keep posting.

Mark

Hello Giles,

Just found this thread and have looked at post in the original posts nd have to agree that it is stunning piece of work. Don't put your work down it is right up there with the best.

Just one question who makes the Marshall please?

Keep posting.

Mark

Thank you very much indeed, Mark! The Fowler/ Marshall is a Wrightlines kit (,..birthday present from my wife...), and makes up very nicely into a very slow running loco. It's available with this 'hard-top' and also with a simple roof.

All the best

Giles

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some new shots of a finally completed Pug (Sevenscale) - one of my favouorite prototypes.... and also some photos brought over from the old site.

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

The Fowler-Marshall about to take the loop with full slate wagons

IMG_5453.jpg

DSCF3599.jpg

DSCF5267.jpg

DSCF3731.jpg

DSCF3650.jpg

DSCF4080.jpg

DSCF4094.jpg

DSCF4233.jpg

DSCF4014.jpg

DSCF3973.jpg

DSCF3967.jpg

DSCF5407.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was reading that article on the bus this morning. Very nice layout indeed, and a great inspiration to narrow gauge modellers. It certainly makes a change from the 'rabbit warren' type and does look very realistic. Excellent balance between decrepid and functional.

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to say that The Loop will be one of the layouts featured at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn Exhibition at Burton upon Trent Town Hall on Saturday 8th May. Look out for further details in the Exhibition pages nearer the time (which means I haven't got it ready yet :D )

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We took The Loop to the 7mm NGA Show in May and had a really good time (and were really impressed).

Meanwhilst, I never posted any photos of the fiddle yard, which is based on computer drawer sliders, with a sprung-loaded ball (bales latch) bearing down on a steel flat with holes drilled in in at 'track' intervals to give a 'detent' action - so it lines up every time.

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg

Here's a couple of loco's in Black and white just for fun...

DSCF4228BW-Copy.jpg

IMG_6200-Copy-Copy.jpg

Lastly, A kind Gent from Greenwich kindly suggested they might want the layout for EXPONG, but I've lost his contact details, and my email has changed..... could he/they get back in touch if they still want the layout?

I'm afraid there appears to have been a misunderstanding. Although I received an informal invitation to ExpoNG at Swanley, I don't think the actual Organiser knows anything about it - so it seems 'The Loop' is destined to remain in obscurity - my apologies!

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid there appears to have been a misunderstanding. Although I received an informal invitation to ExpoNG at Swanley, I don't think the actual Organiser knows anything about it - so it seems 'The Loop' is destined to remain in obscurity - my apologies!

Their and the punters loss it is a very good model and inspiring.

• RMweb Gold

Well they know about the layout now, won't harm sending them an info sheet.

Love the Put-Put (Field Marshall - I'm assuming it is a Fowler conversion?), is it a kit and if so who's is it.

A huge horizontal single cylinder diesel with a rather curious start up method, not one for when it's cold and wet miles from home! Engine to 'top dead centre', burning taper in head, fire a shotgun type cartridge into the cylinder, - Put - Put - Put

Archived