Bachmann FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon

St. Simon

If you are talking about 550023 The flat floor, round buffer version there are pics here http://paulbartlett..../brnuclearflask

Hi Tigger,

Yes I am, as you can see no hazchem diamonds, as on the Bachmann model. It seems fine for the 90s but from what I can see wagons in the 80s didn't have those raised Diamonds.

Cheers Peter.

and for a bit of variety how 'bout modelling the train i worked back in september 2008, thats a combo of 3 different locos, 66, 37 and 20 pulling 3 flasks, to top it off the 66 was a freightliner one!

http://petertandy.co...sks_defford.jpg

not my pic obviously as im driving the train!!

Thanks, - Now that is doable! There seems to be great variety in these train formations... so

Whatever next?

Hi Tigger,

Yes I am, as you can see no hazchem diamonds, as on the Bachmann model. It seems fine for the 90s but from what I can see wagons in the 80s didn't have those raised Diamonds.

Cheers Peter.

I think you are right, I don't know exactly when the Hazchem raised diamonds first appeared on the FNA's but it looks like in the 90's.This may be an error by Bachmann, which is a great shame. Maybe they have used some generic moulds for this part.

Dont know if this helps anyone or not but here is a 73 going through Baiter, Poole. Having come from the Atomic energy site at Winfrith.

Thought it might be of some use for modelling a short formation.

Sorry I can't offer a date, not even a year. My Dad and I didn't keep notes, which in hindsight was a bit of a mistake..

post-6849-0-01676000-1318183923.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I might be caned for this but has anyone noticed the RNA thats gonna be produced by Modelzone / The Signal Box ?

Useful...

I'll get me coat if it's been mentioned elsewhere... And yes it's the wrong section too ......but......

Regards

Nick

If anybody remembers the seminal BBC "Edge of Darkness", There were several scenes of nuclear flask trains being hauled by class 31s and demonstrating the use of, if I recall correctly, 15T box vans as barrier vehicles.

OK, not the most realistic mock-up but it forms the basis of my flask trains :)

It looks odd because its a plywood 31 look a like built around 3 0-4-0 shunters at the Middleton railway. I believe the reason for this was because BR didnt want to be associated with adverse publicity surrounding nuclear waste transportation and as a result would not provide any stock for the filming.

cheers

Shane

Is it just me or does the '31' at the end of the clip looks strange ?

Great Western.

If you watch the video at around 27-30 secs you can see the shunter wheels and rods going round, and the Driver's window shaking like a proper piece of perspex does.

It looks odd because its a plywood 31 look a like built around 3 0-4-0 shunters at the Middleton railway. I believe the reason for this was because BR didnt want to be associated with adverse publicity surrounding nuclear waste transportation and as a result would not provide any stock for the filming.

cheers

Shane

That would explain it then ! :) What was the flim about ?

Thanks

Great Western.

Whey Hey, come in #23 your time is up............ just got my Bachmann FNA this morning, I managed to sneak it into the house this dinner time, I have attached a couple of pics showing it against a couple of Bachmann ex HEA wagons that are being converted to RNA's using the Genesis kits conversion, I will hopefully have these RNA's sprayed up this weekend & the #23 roof number will be removed, once this work has been done will post some more pics of them.

Just out of interest what date were the RNA's painted into Coal sector livery from plain black ?

post-8721-0-08065200-1320931377.jpg

post-8721-0-74058900-1320931394.jpg

post-8721-0-64522500-1320931408.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Just noticed that the Bachmann Collectors Club has a limited edition of this model.

38-345K FNA Nuclear Flask flat floor wagon No.55011 in DRS Blue Livery.

Price £26.95

http://www.Bachmann-...oducts.php?id=2

time to join the collectors club then!!

been wondering when that would appear as a limited ed, only ever worked the real thing once on a valley job with a pair of 20s, happy (glow in the dark) days

time to join the collectors club then!!

been wondering when that would appear as a limited ed, only ever worked the real thing once on a valley job with a pair of 20s, happy (glow in the dark) days

Just noticed that the Bachmann Collectors Club has a limited edition of this model.

38-345K FNA Nuclear Flask flat floor wagon No.55011 in DRS Blue Livery.

Price £26.95

http://www.Bachmann-...oducts.php?id=2

Bit of extra info on this. I've just spoken to Katie in the Collectors Club office for confirmation on the size of the limited edition run as it's not in the magazine. She confirmed it as the usual 504 and also that despatch will commence on Tues or Weds next week. I am convinced that this will absolutely fly off the shelf, so don't leave it too late!

Might not be the right place to say this but the Bachmann Collectors Club magazine goes from strenght to strength in my opinion. I would gladly pay the membership just for the mag let alone the other benefits, including the superb Malcolm Root inspired Age of Steam calender which also arrived troday.

Guest stuartp

That would explain it then ! :) What was the flim about ?

Thanks

Great Western.

Dark goings on, corruption and cover-up in the nuclear waste disposal industry. From memory, Joanne Whalley (before she was famous) died in mysterious circumstances after oncovering something untoward at a waste dump, and her dad (Bob Peck) teamed up with Joe Don Baker (some sort of US agent) to find out what.

It was pretty good in a 1980s sort of a way. It was also responsible for me buying a Willie Nelson album. :blush:

Archived