Hi Paul,

I can confirm that No. 93 is no longer visiting the SVR sadly. I don't know what happened but there we are. I talked to the people in the know and they said no...

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Paul,

I can confirm that No. 93 is no longer visiting the SVR sadly. I don't know what happened but there we are. I talked to the people in the know and they said no...

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Reported in Steam Railway that it's down to cost, both of the hire fees and transport to/from the SVR.

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Here is the information for the Brentford trip and the link to the page on the DRC website that enables you to get the tickets. The tickets are going fast so sign up soon. I hope to see you there!

Steam Railmotor to Return to its Roots After 106 Years

post-14393-0-41685600-1408439087.jpg

The Steam Railmotor and Trailer on the Main Demonstration Line at Didcot Railway Centre

The Great Western Society is pleased to announce that arrangements have been made for Steam Railmotor 93 and trailer 92 to run on the Southall to Brentford branch line on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 October. It will be a rare opportunity to travel in vehicles over 100 years old on a branch line which only has a freight service.

Richard Croucher, Chairman of the Great Western Society, said: “We are delighted to be able to bring the Steam Railmotor back to Southall where it began life, and it is doubly important as this is also the birthplace of the Great Western Society.”

There will be seven departures each day from Southall at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:30, 15:30 and 16.30. The round trip will take just over 30 minutes. There will be a maximum of 110 seats per train – 50 in 93 and 60 in 92.

Tickets are £20 each and are bookable in advance via our online booking system. Passengers will only be allowed onto the Brentford Branch bay platform at Southall for the train their ticket entitles them to. An area beside the line to the south will be available for people to take photographs.

The event is supported by First Great Western, who will be making an announcement shortly about other events taking place in the area.

As there is almost no parking around Southall station, passengers are recommended to travel there by train. If the first weekend is fully booked, there is a contingency to repeat the exercise on 1 and 2 November. For enquiries about this event and other Great Western Society activities connected with main line running please email: gwsmainline@gmail.com

Steam Railmotor 93 was allocated to Southall engine shed when new in March 1908 and remained there until April 1909, working on the Brentford branch and other lines around West London. After that 93 never returned to Southall, but worked in other areas of the Great Western Railway system until 1935 when her boiler and steam engine were removed. She became a locomotive-hauled auto-trailer, retaining a driving cab at one end from which the locomotive could be controlled. She was withdrawn from passenger service in 1956 and used as a mobile office until 1970, when the Great Western Society preserved her.

Trailer 92 was built in 1912 and worked primarily in the West Midlands, being allocated to Wolverhampton, Stourbridge, Stratford and Leamington. She was withdrawn in 1957 and used as a mess room at Cardiff Docks, until being preserved by the Great Western Society in 1969.

Both vehicles are now permanently displayed at Didcot Railway Centre. They were restored using a Heritage Lottery Fund grant between 2007 and 2013 at the Llangollen Railway. A new power bogie with vertical boiler was built for Steam Railmotor 93. The interiors feature varnished oak, polished brass and original pattern upholstery. To travel in them is to enjoy the elegant surroundings of an Edwardian steam yacht.

When 92 and 93 run together they form the world’s only working Steam Multiple Unit – the forerunner of all modern diesel and electric multiple units which can be driven from either end of the train.

The Brentford branch was opened in 1859, connecting the GWR main line at Southall with Brentford Dock on the River Thames, four miles away. The principal engineering work on the line is the Three Bridges, designed by Brunel. At this point the Grand Union Canal crosses the railway on an aqueduct, while the road is carried over both. So it is actually two bridges, but impressive nonetheless. The passenger service on the line ceased in 1915 as a wartime economy measure, but was reinstated in 1920. It was permanently withdrawn in 1942. Brentford Dock closed in 1964, and Brentford Town Goods in 1970. The line was then dismantled south of the A4 Great West Road. Since 1977 the line has been used for trains from a waste transfer station to take West London’s rubbish to landfill sites.

Ticket Link:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/news/news_special.html

All the best,

Castle

Is it too much to hope the Didcot to Southall part of the adventure will not be by road? (A tankful at 10 gallons to the mile should just about cover it!)

Wait and see...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Is it too much to hope the Didcot to Southall part of the adventure will not be by road? (A tankful at 10 gallons to the mile should just about cover it!)

If I remember correctly, for the Liskeard-Looe trips it was dragged on the mainline.

Lack of diesel meant the 1st weekend trips having to be cancelled.

• 1 month later...

Ticket sales have closed. Last week it appeared to be filling up on some of the earlier Saturday trains, with Sunday having plenty of availability on all trains. The website has now been updated stating that the trailer will not now be running with the Railmotor. Not quite sure how they are going to fit all those booked on the nearly-full trains into just the Railmotor though, unless they change people's booked times...

Hi Coppercap,

I shouldn't worry - a slightly revised timetable will see no problems - advice is to turn up as expected and the team will sort you out a ride!

Official Press Release is as follows:

The railmotor on it last Network Rail outing on the Looe Valley Line

On the weekend of 18/19 October, the Great Western Society's Steam Railmotor will be running on the Brentford Branch in association with First Great Western who will also be running various diesel services over several lines not normally open to passengers in the West London area.

We had originally planned to run the Railmotor with matching Trailer No. 92, but will now be running the Steam Railmotor on its own - which does at least mean that everyone will get a seat in the Railmotor itself!

On Saturday 18 several of the trains are booked beyond the capacity of the Railmotor running on its own and so we shall be running additional trains to ensure that everyone who has booked gets a ride. Clearly this does mean that the trains will not run at exactly the times originally advertised but we will endeavour to get everyone who has purchased tickets onto a train as near their booked time as possible. We do apologise for any inconvenience these alterations may cause.

I am booked as support crew on Saturday / Sunday so I will see you all there!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Coppercap,

I shouldn't worry - a slightly revised timetable will see no problems - advice is to turn up as expected and the team will sort you out a ride!

Official Press Release is as follows:

The railmotor on it last Network Rail outing on the Looe Valley Line

On the weekend of 18/19 October, the Great Western Society's Steam Railmotor will be running on the Brentford Branch in association with First Great Western who will also be running various diesel services over several lines not normally open to passengers in the West London area.

We had originally planned to run the Railmotor with matching Trailer No. 92, but will now be running the Steam Railmotor on its own - which does at least mean that everyone will get a seat in the Railmotor itself!

On Saturday 18 several of the trains are booked beyond the capacity of the Railmotor running on its own and so we shall be running additional trains to ensure that everyone who has booked gets a ride. Clearly this does mean that the trains will not run at exactly the times originally advertised but we will endeavour to get everyone who has purchased tickets onto a train as near their booked time as possible. We do apologise for any inconvenience these alterations may cause.

I am booked as support crew on Saturday / Sunday so I will see you all there!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks, I already saw the update on the GWS website on Friday. Might well be seeing one of the people dealing with the ticket sales on Tuesday evening anyway (GWS meeting). 

Archived