Peco O gauge track dimensions

edin_bry2x

Hi Pete

Here's a picture of some Heyside pointwork. The points have been hand-built to 'proper' timber spacing, and the plain track is 'out of the box' Peco. It passes muster and as Pete said, ballasting and weathering will go a very long way to hide any discrepancies. If you want to build your own pointwork, you could match it with C&L plain track which is accurate, and not significantly more expensive than Peco.

post-3059-0-82843500-1292860383_thumb.jpg

Richard

All the Peco O gauge track items and others are in Any Rail, the layout planning software.

Its free to download and use up to 50 items in your plan, then you need to register. I found it very useful in planning my new O gauge layout.

Adding the dimensions of your boards, you can see what fits quite accurately.

• RMweb Gold

All the info you need on track plus a lot more is available in the guild manual - available to members.

Ken Payne used Peco track and points throughout on his layout looks pretty good to me and stuff runs really well on it.

Peco 00 is sized to suit H0 for the American and European markets hence the incorrect sleepering for 00. Uk 0 gauge is 1:43.5 American 1:48 and European 1:45or 1:43.5 The difference is much smaller hence the track is reasonable for all markets.

Personally I like C+L track and parts but then I enjoy making my own points.

BTW That's some nice looking track on Heyside Richard.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I currently have an end to end 7mm layout and looking to modify into an oval. What is the recommended radius for the curves. I would like to keep my Q6's and Q7's on, which is my main concern. I have been advised 5ft and 6ft . Any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold

If you use curves of 6ft or more you will have very little problem with curves. Down to 5ft most things are ok but may need a bit of tweaking and propelling long coaches can cause buffer locking. As you go below 5ft you will need to consider extra work such as larger buffer heads to minimise buffer locking. Couplings may need to provide extra clearance between vehicles. Steam locos may have problems with bogies fouling the backs of cylinders steps etc. However with a bit of work many items can be made to go round curves as tight as 3ft 6ins.

Don

• 11 months later...

Archived