BR early 1960's Carflat A/Bocar P

Hi all,

There were many conversions done from all sorts of coaching stock to Bocar P and Carflat A bogie car carrying wagons. All the pictures I've seen - some of which are on Paul Bartlett's excellent site - are either too recent (1970's onwards), black and white, or of examples that showed nothing of the original livery at all. Mine will be weathered, but I wanted to know what colours to paint which bits first. Would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Iain

The conversions from Mk 1 stock were all painted Rail Blue with black or dark brown underframes/bogies.

Thanks for the reply PhilJ W. Just wondering what applied to earlier stock though? I was guessing early bauxite with black underframes? I've seen a couple of video clips of 9Fs with rakes of carflats in the early to mid 60's but nothing is quite clear enough to identify livery.

Iain

Thanks for the reply PhilJ W. Just wondering what applied to earlier stock though? I was guessing early bauxite with black underframes? I've seen a couple of video clips of 9Fs with rakes of carflats in the early to mid 60's but nothing is quite clear enough to identify livery.

Iain

I remember seeing faded bauxite ones at Severn Tunnel Junction in the late 1960s. Floors were weathered wood; ends, curb rails and the side framing, bauxite; and underframes black. These would have been the various types based on pre-Nationalisation and BR suburban underframes, which weren't normally used on the seasonal Motorail trains.

I remember seeing faded bauxite ones at Severn Tunnel Junction in the late 1960s. Floors were weathered wood; ends, curb rails and the side framing, bauxite; and underframes black. These would have been the various types based on pre-Nationalisation and BR suburban underframes, which weren't normally used on the seasonal Motorail trains.

Perfect, many thanks indeed. Those are exactly the types I was looking at, pre-nationalisation stock made obsolete and put to alternative use. Your description makes much sense and I'll give it a go.

The Bocar P was an early conversion and didn't appear to have any curb rail, side frames or ends, just a flat bed with 5 short hoops along each side. The closest pic I can find is in BR Standard Freight Wagons - A Pictorial Survey by David Larkin (Bradford Barton). I'm guessing the solebar and underframe/bogies should be black and the narrow steel side frame above the solebar, plus the ends, bauxite.

Thanks again,

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

There is more information in 'An Illustrated History of BR WAGONS, Volume One, compiled by Barlett, Larkin, Mann, Silsbury & Ward (Oxford Publishing - 1985).

Pages 82-6 give descriptions of diagrams & the range of types of pre-nationalisation underframes used; good illustrations, but unfortunately in black & white.

Steve

Archived