S&D Sentinel

jonhall

So instead of working on the scratchbuiltTransfesa van, or the 9 UKF palvans that are already on my workbench, I decide to start something else, worse that its not even a wagon, but a loco, and worse still its a kettle.

post-336-0-40031300-1296388370_thumb.jpg

I realised whilst demonstrating resin casting at the StAlbans show, that I would really have to make a few new moulds before I get to Ally Pally, and that I don't really have anything teribly suitable as a master at the moment... I've also had drawings for the S&D Sentinal knocking about for some tyears after a fellow club member showed an interest in building one, so this week I've been doing a bit of pattern making.

post-336-0-23758300-1296388360_thumb.jpg

post-336-0-90609700-1296388345_thumb.jpg

Jon

I decide to start something else, worse that its not even a wagon, but a loco, and worse still its a kettle.

Dear oh dear, I think you need to report for some corrective therapy immediately. ;)

The pattern looks good, I think it'll be an interesting one to mould.

Looks good Jon. As your preparing a resin mould is this going to be available for sale?

It won't be available in any formal way - but I will probably sell the results of any demonstrations on the day they are manufactured - assuming of course I actually get around to both finishing the master and then making a mould off it (and that the part turns out to be easy to cast). I don't want the aggro of doing this comercially.

As it is I've realised I don't have any rubber in stock, so that will mean a trip to Guildford to get it.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Roger Slade (see below), apparently has an imminent fully motorised kit in 4mm. scale.

post-2274-0-79357200-1296565007_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-27457100-1296565778_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-92411300-1296565080_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-24067500-1296565808_thumb.jpg

The test build images were supplied some time ago - the final product may well differ.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

CSP Model Marketing (Roger Slade)

Maple Cottage

15 Dorchester Road

Stratton

Dorset

DT2 9RU

tel: 01305 751 544

e-mail: cspmodels@waitrose.com

• 1 year later...

Where have the last 18 months gone... still at last there has been some progress - can you guess what it is yet?

post-336-0-66973700-1340734057.jpg

Jon

A watched mould never sets, so I've posted this to keep myself occupied, hopefully another update is only 45 minutes away.

Just a little progess, I've cast up another bonnet, as the first one out of the mould had a couple of flaps of stray rubber that blocked some of the detail.

I've then cleaned up the cab casting, and attached the cast bufferbeam (then rather spoilt it by drilling the holes for buffers off-center) and added the bottom of the rear cab sheet from plasticard. The lower part of the cab at the back cuts back in, and I couldn't cast it in situ, so I took the view that this was going to be the easiest bit to fabricate.

post-336-0-79904200-1340918771.jpg

post-336-0-55829700-1340918773.jpg

post-336-0-02187400-1340918775.jpg

I might give it a quick coat of photographic grey tomorrow to make it easier to see.

Jon

My last few photos for the time being - this isn't really my era, or area of interest, and as there hasn't been much feedback to this thread (which I'll admit surprises me) I'll pass on a couple of sets of castings to the club member that first showed an interest, and put this one to one side and carry on with the wagons.

post-336-0-21647600-1340996584.jpg

post-336-0-84439800-1340996585.jpg

post-336-0-42285700-1340996587.jpg

J

It looks like you've done a good job of capturing the shape, Jon. I am also surprised at the lack of feedback here given the interest in this prototype that has been shown in one or two earlier threads. Perhaps part of the answer lies in John Isherwood's post earlier, that is the availability since late last year of the CSP kit. I've been building one of these and showing progress on my blog.

Whilst the unusual body shape is a major part of getting a model to look right, there are other highly visible features that also need to be included. For example, the rather complex spring mountings and the boiler inside the cab. Any thoughts on how you might tackle these?

Nick

Whilst the unusual body shape is a major part of getting a model to look right, there are other highly visible features that also need to be included. For example, the rather complex spring mountings and the boiler inside the cab. Any thoughts on how you might tackle these?

The drawbacks if I were to 'engineer' the boiler or the sideframes into the resin is the same - what power source is to be used?

Mine is quite likely to actually have an 'UndergrounD Ernie' inspection trolly as the power - which is actually about the right wheelbase, although the wheels are rather small (any suggestions about getting bigger wheels are welcome).

Even the smallest Tenshodo has a rather longer wheebase than the prototype, and if I were to cast a compete chassis-side/springs/sandboxes, there would be the risk that the wheelbase that I choose would be different from a widely available bogie that others might want to use. I could either attach the frames/springs/sandboxes to the footplate, or I could do them as two flat casts, which would have an advantage of allowing them to be moved out to give space for the wider guages, although I suspect anyone that might want a P4 one would go for the etched kit,

I think that the boiler would be fairly straightforward, using a bit of plastic tubing - I did wonder about including a boiler into the cab casting, but as well as the risk that the motor might need to intrude into the space, there is a more practical problem, because it is cast upside down, I suspected that what will become the base of the boiler would tend to collect air bubbles.

Jon

I have just found this thread. Very interesting it is too. I have often thought about doing a bit of resin casting, your piece here makes me think it may well be worth doing.

Well done the finished articals look very good.

Could you let me know what rubber you use for the mould, I used some stuff from Teranti in Theale years ago for whitemetal casting.

Also the resin many thanks

I have just found this thread. Very interesting it is too. I have often thought about doing a bit of resin casting, your piece here makes me think it may well be worth doing.

Well done the finished articals look very good.

Could you let me know what rubber you use for the mould, I used some stuff from Teranti in Theale years ago for whitemetal casting.

Also the resin many thanks

The rubber is SIlastic 3481, and the resin is Easyflo 60 both from Notcutt

http://www.notcutt.co.uk/

Jon

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So another six months, and I find that whatever I'm supposed to be doing is even more boring than adding the handrails to my sentinal - who knew that such a small loco would need so many handrail knobs! I've used a random packet of W&H handrail knobds and they are a bit long, but nevermind.

post-336-0-56893900-1360415473.jpg

Some random buffers and another coat of primer (after searching my aerosol stockpile it appears I don't have any gloss black - can I be bothered to cycle to Kingston in the rain - I don't think so).

post-336-0-46749900-1360415474.jpg

Jon

Archived