expoEM Bracknell 14-15 May 2011

Gee Vee

I wasn' there for veru long on Sunday but will go again on the back of what I saw. Mostyn was very impressive as were all the layouts (how good is Weston (sp?) Road??) and the trade support had everything that I needed - very helpfu they were too. I had an enjoyable chat (with Brian?) at the Shawplan stand about men, mice and Lima Mk3's. Being more mouse than man I opted for the Airfix 2D Laserglaze and very pretty it looks too. I also indulged in some very fine detailinng parts from them and just need to work up the courage to fit them.

Me and the bike took 50 minutes to get to Virginia Water. The bike asks me to thank Graeme for providing undercover accommodation at the Leisure Centre.

Thoughts of an operator:

a much better floor plan than Scalefourum, with layouts separated from traders

lunch sufficed with quick service, with tea and coffee available all day

overnight accommodation was palacial (we only need B & B) and was an easy stagger from Wetherspoons (with pirates' molls)

the team and stewards were friendly and efficient - it was pleasing that all the exits were manned to ensure that only exhibitors were in the hall once the show had closed.

one concern - the power supply crossed the ailses, whilst protected by high viz tape perhaps the EM society could invest in rubber sleeves

Bill (apologies for the typos, too tired to correct)

Us cyclists must stick together Bill. Yep hotel approaching palacial but the cost more akin to a seedy B&B. Power supply across the aisles was obviously so well taped down that the EMGS rubber sleeves were obviously invisible!!! But they were there - the Mostyn boys waited for me to tape them dowm before I let them start setting up.....

Graeme

Graeme,

Thanks for a really good show all round. It was very good to meet you, and a few others. I picked up some very good advice ("give up" seems to be top of the list......) some high quality bits from Comet, Brassmasters and Gibson and a couple of sneaky bargains.....

all the best

Iain

A very enjoyable show with an excellent selection of layouts, traders and demonstrations. A credit to the organisers and everyone involved. It was a much more comfortable experience with the wider aisles compared to my previous visit in 2009. Taking photographs was a much less stressful affair this time round. I hadn't seen any of the layouts in the flesh before and all of them were very good. It was great to see Leighton Buzzard and despite its age, it is still an excellent model. However, being partial to layouts with a suburban theme and especially those with an Eastern and/or Southern region bias, Tower Pier had to be my favourite. Nice control panel too. All being well, this event will remain in Bracknell for the foreseeable future, if for no other reason than it's an excellent show and right on my doorstep!! Looking forward to the next one already.

May post a few photos later. Uploading them seems to be painfully slow at the moment..

Cheers,

And finally a box of Peter Denny's marked 'gadgets' identification was being invited for some of them as their use was proving elusive.

post-5402-0-52171300-1305404512_thumb.jpg

I hope the new owners write an article about these gadgets and jigs, it shows that Peter Denny was a practical modeller, it would be very educational to find out

about them. What they are for and how to use them.

• RMweb Premium

And finally a box of Peter Denny's marked 'gadgets' identification was being invited for some of them as their use was proving elusive.

post-5402-0-52171300-1305404512_thumb.jpg

I hope the new owners write an article about these gadgets and jigs, it shows that Peter Denny was a practical modeller, it would be very educational to find out

about them. What they are for and how to use them.

He was indeed! The more I see of his work the more I realise that everything has a purpose and everything was done for a reason, however obscure that may appear to somebody else many years later.

There is a good chance of articles on Buckingham appearing in the modelling press in the future and I feel greatly honoured to be in a position to add a chapter or two to the Buckingham story. Much has happened to the layout since Peter wrote reguarly himself. Removing the layout was more akin to an exercise in archeology than a normal layout move and all sorts of hidden treasures have been found that would possibly interest people who have followed the layout over the years. One about the jigs etc. would be tricky as I still don't know what half of them were for! Some have already been described by Peter in his articles and some I have worked out but as for the rest......

• 11 months later...
Guest oldlugger

Some lovely layouts here; the two that really stand out for me are Axe Edge colliery and Tower Pier, both of which I'd like to see at a show.

Simon

Archived