Removing body off Bachmann Standard 4MT

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I have a Bachmann Std 4MT tank on my workbench and it is in need of a crew so naturally I am attempting to take the body off but will it shift? Will it hell!!

I have thus far removed the two screws from beneath the cab end, all three screws that under the front pony truck end and then the front pony itself and whilst the boiler/tanks are now a bit loose it still won't shift.

Looked on the Bachmann website just now and they have service sheets for most models but of course not this one!

Am I being thick?

You have to take the tanks off. Can't remember the exact process, but it's an absolute pain in the behind.Some parts are glued and some clip in. Of course, you then have to put it back together. Much easier with the Fairburn as the bunker comes off, like the 3MT. Hope you are not intending to do Hornby's Stanier tank.

No, you are not being thick, this is easily the most difficult of Bach's steam models simply to get the chassis out.

There's six screws to release the chassis, five on the underside: one at the front centre, (above the front bogie axle) two at the rear either side directly above the rear bogie wheel, and the two truly cryptic screws, underneath the front of the side tanks. These are right alongside the chassis block, the screwdriver goes up the gap between the front and centre coupled wheels. (Release the speedo crank before commencing too, that's no 6.)

Do record for the benefit of others how the cab interior is accessed, haven't been there...

You may need to unravel some of the pipework as well as that stopped mine from releasing itself from the body.

Once the body is off their is a screw under the firebox door (or thereabouts) which holds the boiler, cab front and cab roof to the rest of the body. On mine I left this undone which means the boiler etc which covers the gears and decoder socket is only held in place by the front fixing screw which makes any future access really simple.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, so I wasn't going mad then!! How anyone ever gets the body off to fit a DCC chip let alone a crew is beyond me! I did manage it easily with Bachmann's Fairburn tank last year so thought this would be a doddle, at this point the QI klaxon must have gone off.

Going to try again with a clear head and a good nights sleep in the morning, meantime thanks for the responses.

• RMweb Premium

Success!! It was the two hidden screws down the sides between the first and second driving axles that were causing the grief, sure they were'nt there where when I looked last night... :D

Anyway, with the body off, there is a small screw on the underside at the front end of the footplate (roughly under the firebox door I would say) removing this allows the tanks/boiler/cab roof to come off in one piece leaving the cab floor and bunker, insert crew and reassemble...

I just know I am going to have at least two screws and an unidentified piece of black plastic left over when its back together and there is still another Std 4 tank on shed to do!!

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I realise that this is an older thread but I hope someone can help.  I've just acquired a lovely second hand weathered version of the Standard Bachmann 4MT tank and it is running very nicely.  I wish to add a decoder and crew and have located the body fixing screws and removed them (5 plus the speedo crank screw) but there seems to be no way to remove the body without damaging the pipework on the opposite side to the speedo. Does anyone who has managed to remove the body have any tips before I destroy the said pipework?  I'd be very grateful for your advice.

Best Regards

Terry

I have recently done 2 of these, it is a bit tricky and the pipework is very fragile.

As you look at the loco side on, very gently pull the 2 pipes slightly towards you off the black plastic lug, they are just located on this lug to hold them in place, so they should just slide off. Once clear of the lug you can lift the body up off the chassis.

Once the body is off ALWAYS lie it on it's SIDE so you do not break the fragile pipes, (How do I know this). :mad:

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for the information,  I suspected that the pipes came off like that but wasn't sure if that was the case.  You've given me a bit of confidence to have a go now, just need to find a decent crew.  I'll take some pictures and report my results to help others if I'm successful. 

Best regards

Terry D

Archived