37118 almost finished.

Well I've decided to do some work on loco's whilst I waite for Model Rail Scotland.

Some, if not most will be trial and error (may be more of the later).smile.gif I have read and digested lots of topics (probably too many to take in).

My first venture is a Heljan class 47 Blue departmental small logo to BR Blue large logo. Thought I would start with this before trying to tackle a class 37 Dutch livery too large logo (waiting on tanyma masking tape coming).

Well I've completed the warning panels today, whilst I'm waiting on it drying, does anyone have a good tip for painting domino codes'? I've been trying to work out how to mask the dots and I have drawn a blank. I have maskol fluid and thought of putting two dots on it in position. The 2 issues I see ahead are;

1, Dots being iregular in size/shape.

2, I havn't used this product in 20 years, but from memory it does not leave a clean edge (yes testing on scrape will answer that).

Anyway, looking for some help from a well seasoned veterain of re spraying.

Kind regards,

Mark

Dominoes? PM me and I'll mail you some Foxy ones in their little plastic packet. Now I've rowed back into the sixties I have no need for them.... :P

Many thank, what a kind offer. PM on it's way.:D

Best regards,

Mark

Well here is the work done today.

Yellow warning panels done and grey roof.

DSCF1894.jpg

DSCF1896.jpg

The edges are not to bad, considering I've used house hold masking tape.:blush:

The black windows looks like a whole new kettle of fish. Any pointers would be useful.;)

My other question is, is there a way of taking the double arrow off (I thought my depot logos would cover it), without damaging paint? On compairing the blue it with the rest of my fleet it's a very close match.

Best regards,

Mark

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Large logo on a 47 still with headcode blinds and no H.I. headlight? Are you sure? Which one are you doing?

Cheers

Jim

Hiya

Large logo on a 47 still with headcode blinds and no H.I. headlight? Are you sure? Which one are you doing?

Cheers

Jim

Be gentle with me.:vava_mini:

47636.jpg

I knew about the headlight, but to be honest mate, I bought one from ebay and it was a peice of :bo_mini: . So the wee yin want's a replacement with a doggie on the side.

You lot are suposed to be encouraging, blind talent like me......:beee_mini: :rofl_mini: :rofl_mini: :rofl_mini:

Guest jim s-w

Hi Mark

They are not dominoes - they are marker lights painted black. Did your original have marker lights? If not you can get the panels from Shawplan. You can get the headlight from replica (shawplan stock them too). Spray it away from the loco so the yellows match and you should be fine.

HTH

Jim

Hi Mark

They are not dominoes - they are marker lights painted black. Did your original have marker lights? If not you can get the panels from Shawplan. You can get the headlight from replica (shawplan stock them too). Spray it away from the loco so the yellows match and you should be fine.

HTH

Jim

Thanks mate!

I have no idea when it comes to loco's (almost called it trains....he...he), can you tell?. It came with route panels, so need marker lights (note to self).:good_mini:

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hiya

Cheers

Jim

Hi,

At least one large logo 47 ran without a H.I. headlight, unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the other end so can't say if that end had one or not.

http://jpsgallery.fotopic.net/p45862259.html

JP

Hi,

At least one large logo 47 ran without a H.I. headlight, unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the other end so can't say if that end had one or not.

http://jpsgallery.fo.../p45862259.html

JP

Thanks for that, I new I saw that pic some where. Also some time over the last week trolling through thousands of pictures I actualy saw a large logo 47 with out full yellow ends.

There are so many variations to large logo, even over 37.

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, I new I saw that pic some where. Also some time over the last week trolling through thousands of pictures I actualy saw a large logo 47 with out full yellow ends.

There are so many variations to large logo, even over 37.

Regards,

Mark

577 was "standard" blue with large numbers, logo and dog if that helps

http://jpsgallery.fotopic.net/p45833682.html

JP

577 was "standard" blue with large numbers, logo and dog if that helps

http://jpsgallery.fo.../p45833682.html

JP

JP,

That's the one I had intended doing so that I did not have to try and mask between the cab front and roof for the black. When I searched again I couldn't find it, so thought I must have seen it on a railfrieght livery and thought I must have imagined it.:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Thanks,

Mark

I have just been going through more 47 photos and came across this one.

http://jpsgallery.fo.../p47139956.html

I presume this in on it's way to being an executive livery?

Thanks,

Mark

HI Mark

47407 ran in this livery up til August 86 i think when it was repainted at Crewe into large logo! I saw it in 85 like this but not sure when it got its odd-ball livery! Strange being a gateshead loco as a crest was noramlly the only embelishment and a deep coat of grime! Doesn't beat 47361's odd coat of paint though! http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=0626020315000

Regards

Dave

HI Mark

47407 ran in this livery up til August 86 i think when it was repainted at Crewe into large logo! I saw it in 85 like this but not sure when it got its odd-ball livery! Strange being a gateshead loco as a crest was noramlly the only embelishment and a deep coat of grime! Doesn't beat 47361's odd coat of paint though! http://www.class47.c...g=0626020315000

Regards

Dave

Thanks,

I think I need to digest 47 631 for a while before I decide if I like it or not.:unsure:

Mark

• 2 months later...

The number's in the above photo look good, but they ended up drying in a way that showed the film. I have since re-done them using Fox numbers. The photo below shows them (still a bit wet).

DSCF2160.jpg

I have notice the Westie is a bit dirty in colouration compared to the ones I removed. I've made a couple of attempts at the orange linning strip (what a nightmare). I'm off to finish re-numbering a couple of loco's in order to make them Eastfield based.

Regards,

Mark

Thats looks really good Mark. I would be very happy with that!

One quick question did you airbrush or hand brush the loco? Its a very good finish so i would assume airbrush. Which yellow have you used? Im on a constant quest to find suitable yellows as everything i try seems to be very anemic even with priming etc.

But again brilliant job. Cheers, Scott.

Scott,

Thanks for those positive comments. I am pleased as a first attempt. You are correct it has been airbrushed, the yellow colour is railmatch warning panel yellow. Against my other loco's Bachmann and Hornby it is a very close match.

Best regards,

Mark

Name plates have arrived this morning. And following on from comments above, the front spot light has been added too. Although they can't be seen in the photo.

If I can just get the orange lining on that will tidy the roof edge up.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Did you try varnish to remove the carrier film? if you give your loco a coat of varnish that usually disguises the carrier film, and blends it into the locomotives' finnish. Marker light wise I *think* the lenses will need to be around 1.8mm? im doing marker lights too for a friends 47, so if you get the dimensions of the lights could you give us a shout?

HTH

NL

Hi Mark,

Did you try varnish to remove the carrier film? if you give your loco a coat of varnish that usually disguises the carrier film, and blends it into the locomotives' finnish. Marker light wise I *think* the lenses will need to be around 1.8mm? im doing marker lights too for a friends 47, so if you get the dimensions of the lights could you give us a shout?

HTH

NL

The way I disguised the film was to add a little body colour under the decals, then varnished. They actually look worse in the picture than real life.

I don't have any 47's to hand and I'm on my way out for the day. I will look for you tomorrow for the diamiter.

The way I done mine.

Put a strip of masking tape onto some plasticard. Use a disk punch like this (not this particular brand or web site). Lift the disk of masking tape off with knife and mask where lights are, spray. Job done.

Best regards,

Mark

If noone gives you the diamiter, I'll look tomorrow!

• 1 month later...

We have a triple grey coal sector livery Bachmann (image below) that my son did not like very much. No dog on the side (I've trained him well). I have a collection of large logos that I saw in my childhood and within reason all other locos are modern day (things he is most likely too see, mainly 66's, 57's and Pondilenos). The idea behind this is to try and keep his interest in model rail but with such a large collection of 37's (OK, 5 or 6 maybe more....dont tell the wife) I wanted a livery he is likely to come across. So the coal sector had to go for something with a dog. What could be better than "Loch Arkaig"? Knowing these are now out of stock and when they come up on Ebay with prices that far exceed my budget. I asked for some help from fellow RMwebers for colour and decal suppliers (thanks to all who helped!) and this weekend I set about my second respray. It is not out of the works yet, but not far from it and I thought I would share how far I've got (images below). Just a coat of varnish (possibly tonight before bed or first thing in the morning) and to fit the windows back in (a photo will follow when it's complete).

Before......

DSCF1800-1.jpg

36 hours later......

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

I hope you like?

Best regards,

Mark

Hi all,

Well my balloon has slightly deflated as it has been rightly pointed out my nose grills are wrong for this particular 37, AAAaarrrgghhhh. :( That's OK though, my son loved it when he came back from his holiday weekend with the grand parents. I'll just need to remind myself about the look on his face every time I look at those nose grilles. :yes: On a plus side the orange linning is sweet (blowing my own trumpet) .

I have added the only side profile shot of the full loco I could find on the web to show what I worked from. Still can't believe I missed the grilles, oh well you live and learn. It's just one more step in the right direction to a rail modeller virgin like myself. Could you imagine the mistakes I'd be making without the help of RMweb forum? I shudder to think.:laugh:

37248_Dixton_2010.jpg

Best regards,

Mark

Archived