Photos of Oxley Carriage depot, Wolverhampton

Ian_T

Not sure if this is in the right area, but does anyone have any photos of Oxley Carriage Depot in Wolverhampton at all please?

Google has not been very helpful in my quest for pictures of buidlings and structures etc and inside the depot. I managedd to find 3 or 4 from contractors who have worked there and posted the project work on the website.

I wrote to Virgin, who forwarded me to Network Rail, i then contacted them who forwarded me to Gec Alsthom, and they have not replied at all.

I have checked google earth which gives me some indication, but if anyone could add anymore i would really appreciate it.

Guest baldrick25

Something like this from 2004?

2004-06-15109.jpg

2004-06-15156.jpg

2004-06-15159.jpg

I have a lot more from other occasions and will try and sort them out later. Hope they help. Oxley is a big place , if you can give me specifics, like the tracks, the buildings etc, I'll see what I can find in the archives.

thats FANTASTIC- thank you.

Buildings would be excellent.(very interested in the virgin coloured building)

Some of the lines i have picked out from google, but in terms of the sidings themselves ie walkways and what equipement if any are on the walkways, but really anything else you have would be of great use.

Thank you very very very much.

• RMweb Gold

the box also controlled a couple of ground discs controlling the exit to the up and down goods loop (at both ends) as well as the first set of sidings, IT also controlled the sidings on the up loop side, the ground signals on the depot side (that you can also see in my piccie) actually applied to more than one road so you had to be careful when exiting the yard, same applied to the semaphore in my piccie, it applies to both the road i was stood on as well a the one to the right

must admit i didn't know the box had gone, i knew about the resignalling but i've no need to go along there anymore, some of the new signals look to be poorly sighted in my opinion!!

• RMweb Gold

i took a fastline coal train into the up loop in oxley one night and sat there for ages with nothing passing me so i eventually contacted the box who asked "was i going to go or not?" my reply being "well i would if the signal was off"

turned out the box had pulled the signal off and it was showing clear in the box, detection on the points etc but the disc had not physically moved, ended up having to sit there for another hour or so while the local MOM came out and clipped and scotched the points so i could leave, not something that would normally happen when passing a signal at danger but just beyond the signal, right next to the box there is/was a 3 way point and a set of trap points so they all had to be clipped!!

ooops, not the best of shifts then eh.

I did nip up to oxley today at 1500 and evn though i wanted outside pics of the buildings i was told i was not welcome and that "geezer you need to contact head ofice for an appointment"

• RMweb Gold

anymore anyone?

No pictures unless you want faded ones from 1966, but I remember the 'new' Oxley box only too well. I was there assisting with testing on the day it was commissioned. It also controlled the old Stafford Road Junction at the south end of the viaduct. Coal trains to Ironbridge used to go down to Cannock Road Junction and run round to avoid using HL station. Later I was the Signal Design Engineer for the Oxley Chord scheme which did way with Cannock Road and allowed through running between Oxley and Bushbury.

• RMweb Gold

Later I was the Signal Design Engineer for the Oxley Chord scheme which did way with Cannock Road and allowed through running between Oxley and Bushbury.

its a heck of a tight curve and climb to negociate with 2000+ tons of train, if you were unlucky enough to get checked at the signal protecting stafford rd it would be a swine to get moving again as you have to keep the brake in to stop rolling back and take power at the same time, i used to creep round and give it the gun when i saw the signal was off, happy days!!

i was never happy with the ground disc on the bridge in the down direction though, also getting out of the cab to change ends on the viaduct when shunting in and out of oxley made my toes curl, its a long way down if you were to slip off the loco step!!

• RMweb Gold

A copy of the information from a Yahoo group:-

West Midlands Signalling Centre (WMSC)

The Oxley stage of the West Midlands resignalling project (originally

planned for 2012) was commissioned on 29th November 2010 at the end of a

9-day blockade. The 16-month programme of works involved the

decommissioning of the 1969-built, 60-lever, Oxley signalbox and the

transfer of control of the Wolverhampton-Madeley section of the Shrewsbury

line to the West Midlands Signalling Centre at Saltley. Twelve miles of

main line and loops were resignalled as well as the 25-siding Oxley depot,

which stables part of Virgin's Pendolino fleet. Under the control of a

Westcad workstation in the WMSC, this type B project covered 81 Signal

Equivalent Units (SEUs) and was the first scheme to see the introduction

of Invensys Rail's Westlock computer based interlocking, with two

trackside interfaces at the the WMSC controlled over the Fibre

Transmission Network (FTN). The sequence of control between Birmingham

and Shrewsbury is now New Street PSB - Wolverhampton PSB - WMSC - Madley

Jn - Abbey Foregate Jn and Seven Bridge Jn. Oxley box is featured at:

http://tillyweb.biz/...ry/oo/oxley.htm

The box was physically demolished either the following weekend or the one after.

Oh - did not realise about this scheme, I had a distant relative who worked the Codsall signal box, I assume that's now closed too....:(

• RMweb Gold

its a heck of a tight curve and climb to negociate with 2000+ tons of train, if you were unlucky enough to get checked at the signal protecting stafford rd it would be a swine to get moving again as you have to keep the brake in to stop rolling back and take power at the same time, i used to creep round and give it the gun when i saw the signal was off, happy days!!

i was never happy with the ground disc on the bridge in the down direction though, also getting out of the cab to change ends on the viaduct when shunting in and out of oxley made my toes curl, its a long way down if you were to slip off the loco step!!

IIRC the PWay design was right on the limit for gradients and curvature to avoid rebuilding any bridges and to get it all on existing railway land.

Even more scary on Oxley Viaduct was working on the signal shown in post #15 here. Those bits on the outside of the main post are a long way from the ground - and no safety net.

• 1 month later...

I was doing some house keeping on my computer and came across a number of survey photographs taken during the Codsall to Madeley re-signalling scheme.

Here we have Oxley Signal Box in 2006 working Absolute Block to Codsall. Our work subsequent to these photographs implemented Track Circuit Block from Oxley to Madeley Junction.

Enjoy..

post-6371-0-20849800-1302905676_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-73284500-1302905726_thumb.jpg

F

• RMweb Gold

great pics, been in that box a few times before it went, were any of the gubbins preserved?

one thing i didnt get about the 2006 resignalling was the position of some of the new signals, the headways were improved a bit around the albrighton and codsall area but one of the signals on the down is halfway down albrighton bank over the brow of a hill in an area of low adhesion, could get a bit hairy at times if it was on!!

great pics, been in that box a few times before it went, were any of the gubbins preserved?

Pass on that one although I seem to recall that Cosford lever frame went to the SVR.

one thing i didnt get about the 2006 resignalling was the position of some of the new signals, the headways were improved a bit around the albrighton and codsall area but one of the signals on the down is halfway down albrighton bank over the brow of a hill in an area of low adhesion, could get a bit hairy at times if it was on!!

Not guilty I'm afraid. The way projects are developed and then implemented means that in many cases the signal sighting is not carried out by the team who actually design, build and commission the scheme.

F

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived