Which is the best Rolling Road ?

I have done a search on RMWEB but I have not found any articles on rolling roads. I have discovered two options on the internet : Hornby and Rolling Rails.

Has anybody got an opinion if one is better than the other or is it just a matter of preference ? I live in Australia so there is no possibility of actually looking at either model, let alone using them.

Hi Brian, I'm using Bachrus saddles and they work very well, but you may want to read some more threads to get others views.

http://www.bachrus.com/

The search function at face value is not very good. However, on the search box you may not have seen there is a drop down menu. Open that and you will see there is a 'Google Site Search' option and entering Rolling Road as a search term has just brought up 8 pages of postings on rolling roads.

To be honest, I've been here since day one and only found that search option in the last few days. It improves the search facility 1000% and appears to be a well kept secret. Either that, or I've been walking around with my eyes shut for years....;)

I have done a search on RMWEB but I have not found any articles on rolling roads. I have discovered two options on the internet : Hornby and Rolling Rails.

Has anybody got an opinion if one is better than the other or is it just a matter of preference ? I live in Australia so there is no possibility of actually looking at either model, let alone using them.

At a guess you model in 3.5mm/4mm 16.5mm track gauge. If you build locos then I would suggest the Hobby Holiday jig, you can set up the horn-blocks and with out moving the holders set it up as a r/r. Not cheap but good.

You can also get some that you just mount on a straight length of track, sorry can't help with that one though.

OzzyO.

The model from West Australia looks very good but it is quite expensive. The Hornby/ Rolling Rails versions from the UK are much cheaper. I will keep it in mind though.

I should have mentioned that I live in Cairns, Queensland and I model OO gauge.

The Google Site search function works brilliantly....thank you Gordon.

I will direct you to My link and my final design which as stated aint going to cost you dear if you decide to make yourself. I started to build the design as the diagram I posted but changed to the design in the later post/pics was the better option. This caters for most loco wheelbases in OO, If an 0-6-0 tank is wanted it is simple to put a wagon on to make up for the space between the loco/ stops. Any Rolling Road will need to be adjusted to cater for the appropriate wheel spacing on whatever loco. Make sure you view the second page of postings, and the pics of the finished item, Hope this is of use.Beeman. Ps, I'm a 'Brian' as well, I gather they build things 'with pride' in Cairns cobber, according to the build plate on the catarmaran on which I crossed the Adriatic many years back. ;)

This comes up more frequently than any other topic I can think of. Here is the last one.

Whilst the search facility is not great, you can still get to many things with a bit of filtering. For example, go to the advanced search (the cog wheel to the right of the spyglass) and enter "rolling road" in quotes, select 'forums' and 'questions/help' from the drop down menu. You get the one above and several more.

As I said in the post Mod6 has highlighted I have a Bachrus which has served me well but I recently bought a DCC Concepts unit off a friend who said he couldn't get on with it and I think it is superb. Comes as a set allowing relatively pain free changing of gauges - I have it set up for N and my Bachrus for OO.

Here is a link for each unit:

http://finneyandsmith.co.uk/finneyandsmith/bachrus.htm

http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCconceptsRollingRoads.htm

Here on Ebay there are these from Colinstrains, same principle as Bachman, but which you can buy as single units. Only in O gauge and 16.5, but they look easy enought to regauge to EM or P4. I don't know if he'll do them in N in the future, but you could ask as it looks like he makes them himself.

My link

Archived