My first Industrial layout

Whilst scanning slides for the Industrial locos in the 80s and 90s I found these. They are from a layout that I built around 1990 which featured a BR passener station that was now a terminus served by DMUs (Class 110 and Pacer), a wagon repair works and a scrap yard. It was "Modern Image" and used wagons and liveries that were around at the time of building. I may still have some of them lurking in a box somewhere...

The wagon works. The girder construction was based on something similar that was in the yard at Procor's Horbury Junction works and I think it was used when cleaning rail tanks out with a steam lance or something.

post-494-0-24313400-1300135863_thumb.jpg

Scrap yard entrance. Unfortunatley I don't have any pics of the large gantry cranes or the piles of scrap but I was quite pleased with them at the time. In retrospect the whole lot probably wasn't as good as I thought.

post-494-0-74962000-1300135919_thumb.jpg

The maintenance area for road vehicles and locos. I painted all the lorries in a livery resembling that of Crossley Evans of Shipley.

post-494-0-17007500-1300135946_thumb.jpg

The whole thing was 8ft. x 2ft. and sidings were added over time - mostly to fit more locos on!

Correctamundo, Paul, it is indeed a Mercian Barclay. I've still got the Barclay but the Ruston went a long time ago. It was from a disaster of a 009 layout that preceeded this one and both used the same baseboard.Under the scrap yard entrance and maintenance building was a flooded clay pit, complete with semi-submerged V-skip, ducks and all!

Any more photos Dave? And whats that Ruston in the first pic? Craftsman 07?

The scrap yard looks good from what we can see of it. Such difficult things to model, very few people get them right (or even close to right...).

I may have a few more photos but they will be prints so even if I can find them I can't scan them. Craftsman rings a bell with the 07 but it was supposed to be an LSSH - the hydraulic version of the 07 (LSSE). I'd made a mess of the etched chassis that was part of the 07 kit so I hacked a Mainline 03 chassis to fit. The LSSH locos had a jackshaft drive so it suited well. I never made any attempt to make the slight bodywork differences and simply settled for giving it a non-standard livery.

Archived