Prospect Quay

dave thelens

The other night at Stockton Model Railway Club, Martin one of our members brought in some ply offcuts for use ... I grabbed a suitable bit and today have come up with a trackplan for a small shunting layout (Oh Yes ... another one)

So this is Prospect Quay, a small quay on the banks of the River Esk reached from a spur off the Whitby to Middlesbrough line near Whitby Station, this give me opportunity to run locos from that area, of which I have a few. Prospect Quay sends out mainly fish and other perishables which then is attached to a train at Whitby Station or Whitby Goods to travel further afield.

The track is Peco 75 Electro Frog, for no other reason than that I bought some off here while ago and it all fits onto a baseboard 52/15ins

I'll keep you updated as progress moves on

Dave

post-6130-0-02051400-1303382185_thumb.jpg

post-6130-0-93382700-1303382225_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

So. You have a baseboard, you have some track, you have a very clearly defined prototype & era, you have a plan. Some modellers would be delighted to have such clear vision!

Shunting planks are necessarily limited in scope - but that's their strength. You have a realistic chance of completing a satisfying layout, which could then be paraded around at exhibitions, if you so wish, or aired on here every time you make a tweak or add new details.

Keep us posted.

There may be the odd Diesel appear, I have an 03 which will work on it, as well as a couple of Standard 4's 80117/118, a couple of J21's, a J27 an Ivatt Mucky Duck and a couple of A8's and one of the new Standard 3's

I will be using Kadee couplers with magnets set into the baseboard which will be covered with Foamcore and will be wired DC (not onto DCC yet, to many kit locos to convert)

Cheers

Dave

There may be the odd Diesel appear, I have an 03 which will work on it, as well as a couple of Standard 4's 80117/118, a couple of J21's, a J27 an Ivatt Mucky Duck and a couple of A8's and one of the new Standard 3's

I will be using Kadee couplers with magnets set into the baseboard which will be covered with Foamcore and will be wired DC (not onto DCC yet, to many kit locos to convert)

Cheers

Dave

Will make a change to see a predominently steam shunting plank, and will keep watching this one.

Colin

Looking forward to seeing this develop. How are you planning on working the run round loop,, will it be a sector plate at one end?

Yes there is a sector plate, top right in the image. As you can see all the trackwork is now fixed by small pieces of double-sided sticky-tape to Foamcore which was stuck to the baseboard with PVA, using the tape allows me to move any track if needed, the ballast will do the rest

Holes were cut to take the Kaydee magnets ... all I need do now is wire it and plonk down some scenery, this will be mostly retaining walls with low relief warehouses hiding the fiddle plate

I should add ... it will take a small tender loco and 3 wagons in the run-round loop, but because of the length of the centre head-hunt only one wagon at a time can be shunted... should be fun ... and I have just noticed that 3 of the 4 uncoupling magnets are in up-side down DOH!

Dave

post-6130-0-39968000-1303476412_thumb.jpg

post-6130-0-60149600-1303476432_thumb.jpg

post-6130-0-09947400-1303476448_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few minor adjustments to Prospect Quay ... I noticed that one of my second hand points was damaged, and when looking through my spares box I came across a 3 way point, perfect fit and now provides another little head shunt where I could leave a brake van.

I have also narrowed down the traverser to a single road, by this modification I now have an extra inch or so to play with when it comes to the backscene, an inch is a lot when you don't have that many

Dave

post-6130-0-64772300-1304355112_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a visit to the Hartlepool Exhibition and seeing the way the cassette system of loco storage working very well on Stainsby, I have decided to add to the layout a fiddle yard which has given me a little extra space to complete the run-round loop

post-6130-0-89998300-1310453486_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well... Prospect Quay has gained an extension, and now stretches to almost 7 feet in length, I'm going to add a cassette type fiddle yard and extend the top siding to along the front where there will be series of workshops and warehouses (the blue box area). I've also added a small "shelf" to the rear where I will use DPDT switches and rod in tube to operate the points ...

Dave

post-6130-0-26878700-1312027253_thumb.jpg

Archived