86 604 - First Freight sparky for Outon

Thought Id better add a finished picture as I never got around to it. Anyway the paints used are all precision pheonix the colours being rail grey, euro railfreight rfd dark grey and euro roof blue.

Thanks for the great comments it is one of my favs.

Cav

post-6894-0-53280300-1341415050_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Looks absolutely amazing!!! I wish I had the time and resources to do my own. Which kit did you use for the 86? I'd like to try one out and model a grey freightliner 86. The pantograph looks good! I remember seeing the somerfeldt pans with different collecting shoes (that is it had to parallel bits) so did you scratch bit that part?

Thanks Jeremiah. Its a popular loco at shows. I didnt use a kit they are parts I had etched up myself which Id tagged into some other stuff I had done a while back so not available as a kit. Jim S-W of this manner has a kit of etches which he sells though if you want to source something. The pan head is not the standard one that comes with that pan you are correct but it is a spare part that can be bought seprately (also somerfeldt). They also come in twos as do the pans so handy when modifying two pans.

Cav

Thanks Cav,

the 86 and 90 are my favorite BR locos!!! And your threads have been a source of inspiration for me. Sadly I can't do much because I live in India and P&P prices shoot up for international delivery. The RfD livery that you applied is also one of my favorites. The rest of my family live in the UK but no one comes down to India so I can't even ask anyone to buy me the required bits and bobs. I think the last I saw anyone from the UK was 13 years ago when I was 3 years old... So I just have to wait patiently for now!!

Thought Id better add a finished picture as I never got around to it. Anyway the paints used are all precision pheonix the colours being rail grey, euro railfreight rfd dark grey and euro roof blue.

Thanks for the great comments it is one of my favs.

Cav

Hi Cav,

Can't believe I've only just come across this - looks awesome. I am a bit obsessed with 86s and 87s and i have a few of the Heljan ones and a load of Hornby bodyshells and tempted to have a bash at the cut and shut. Can I ask what glazing you used on this?

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andi cheers for the compliment. The glazing was all individually cut from think styrene sheet. Tedious but worth it I think.

Cav

Hi Andi cheers for the compliment. The glazing was all individually cut from thin styrene sheet. Tedious but worth it I think.

Cav

Very much. I have since found your layout thread, an enormous distraction from finishing DRS 37s for Barrow on Saturday! Great work all round, I'd love to see it and note you aren't far from me in Ches Vegas!

A

Well the layout will be out again in Barnsley at the beginning of Novemeber if the show gets sorted and also Pontifract early in the new year so if you have the time pop along. I have noticed before that you are in sheffield. Not a million miles away!!

Cav

I'm interested in that 87.

Just a few questions Cav

1) Is that pantograph modified?

2) What glazing did you use?

3) What kit have you used for it, thats if you used any. If not then where did you get all the buffers and pipe work from? I don't think A1 do any hoses or pipes.

I was wondering if I could use guitar string for handrails. I did use them on a Mk1. SLEEPER thats on OMWB. Does it have lighting? I think the Lima moulds made the headlights look really bad as they bulge out to much.

The pan is a moddified Hornby bwhs. it has a somerfeldt head as per the 86 and a much lighter spring fitted to work on my finescale ohle. I will change it eventually for a better version when I get around to building one. The glazing is all hand cut from thin styrene sheet as is the 86. Gives an ultimate flush glaze look. I havent used any kits in the making of this loco. All the parts are from my scrap box or sctratch built from styrene sheet. I seem to collect a load of detailing kits which have a lot of air pipes included. Good representations of the hosea can be made with thicker guitar strings which are wound and vave that hose look about them once painted up. It runs on a Bachmann warship chassis with Hornby bogey frames much like my mainline 90. I see no reason you cant use guitar string for handrails as long as they are thick enough.

Cav

The pan is a moddified Hornby bwhs. it has a somerfeldt head as per the 86 and a much lighter spring fitted to work on my finescale ohle. I will change it eventually for a better version when I get around to building one. The glazing is all hand cut from thin styrene sheet as is the 86. Gives an ultimate flush glaze look. I havent used any kits in the making of this loco. All the parts are from my scrap box or sctratch built from styrene sheet. I seem to collect a load of detailing kits which have a lot of air pipes included. Good representations of the hosea can be made with thicker guitar strings which are wound and vave that hose look about them once painted up. It runs on a Bachmann warship chassis with Hornby bogey frames much like my mainline 90. I see no reason you cant use guitar string for handrails as long as they are thick enough.

Cav

Archived