Another one gone. Grantham loses it's model shop

noiseboy72

OK, so Access Models was never great for railway modelling, but it carried lots of useful bits an bobs and also supplied my helicopter spare part habit !

Nearest shops are Newark and Peterborough now, if you don't count that corner of Sheilas Cakes...

I used them quite a bit - I used to live in Grantham and still have relatives there so popped in from time to time. They had a great selection of modelling bits even if the railway section was a bit small. Shame to hear they've closed, but Grantham seems to be generally losing quite a lot of shops at the moment.

Nearest shops are Newark and Peterborough now, if you don't count that corner of Sheilas Cakes...

There's also GeeDee's, ModelZone and several others in Nottingham.

I remember about 15 years ago there were four model shops in Grantham (two of which were dedicated to railways), plus the model section in Arbon and Watts toyshop. All now gone bad.gif

plenty in Derby, Nottingham and Leicester should you ever need them.

The Signal Box in Anstey Leics (yes there is another signal box....) is near to the M1, A46 and also the GCR sos always good for an occasional pop in if you are in the area. (I don't have a connection with the shop)

there is a modelzone in Leicester, but if there's one in Nottingham it will probably be as much use as a choccy teapot. anyway if you are a serious self building modeller....

shame really... but its a sign of the times... perhaps more will open when times prosper again.

• 1 year later...

NewsFlash - (and like the Journal, this is slightly old news)

There is a new model shop in Grantham!!

The shop is in the small arcade of shops known as blue Court, just off Guildhall Street.

here is a streetmap.co.uk link - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=491305&Y=335709&A=Y&Z=106

I don't know much about them as I chanced upon them this afternoon - when they are shut!

I will update everyone next Saturday!

The 'M & B Models' Corner of Sheila's Cakes has also gone, but M & B are still in business on the exhibition circuit,

BTW - access models are still in Newark, and the Granary Modelshop is in Swineshead.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers! Will check it out!

There is also a radio control models and slot car racing shop up on Alma park. They also do the Tamiya paints and weathering powders. - A1 Models. This at least meets my R/C heli needs, particularly as I fly about a mile down the road and it has been known for me to pop in to replace a part mid session...

NewsFlash - (and like the Journal, this is slightly old news)

The shop is in the small arcade of shops known as blue Court, just off Guildhall Street.

here is a streetmap.co.uk link - http://www.streetmap...35709&A=Y&Z=106

I don't know much about them as I chanced upon them this afternoon - when they are shut!

I will update everyone next Saturday!

The 'M & B Models' Corner of Sheila's Cakes has also gone, but M & B are still in business on the exhibition circuit,

BTW - access models are still in Newark, and the Granary Modelshop is in Swineshead.

Glad to see Granary Models are still going. Visited them years ago as my parents live in Spalding and they had a car. On my visits to the UK lack of transport precludes a visit.

I decided to investigate this afternoon, to find they were shut (and next Saturday). Through the window it looks like they have reasonable stock levels, but I can't see them lasting that long if they don't open on Saturdays.

Oddly enough, one of the old model railway shops in Grantham was on the same side of Blue Court, possibly even in the same shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to investigate this afternoon, to find they were shut (and next Saturday). Through the window it looks like they have reasonable stock levels, but I can't see them lasting that long if they don't open on Saturdays.

Oddly enough, one of the old model railway shops in Grantham was on the same side of Blue Court, possibly even in the same shop.

I got in to have a look round today, and there is an interesting level of stock, mainly from the Wills, Ratio and Knightwing ranges, along with track from Peco and Hornby.

The owner admits that he is not aiming to sell an expensive loco at retail price when people like Hattons and Rails of Sheffield are able to sell them cheaper, but he is going into the Railroad range as they are more suited to the 'family' market, the owner has said that if there is a loco that we are interested in purchasing, then he can order it for us.

In the next couple of weeks there could be more of a presence from Bachmann / Woodland Scenics, there could also be a new paint range becoming available.

The owner did admit that it was a bit of "testing the waters" with the shop - so I hope it does well - and he does do more trade at shows than he does in the shop.

And in a strange case of history repeating itself - the shop is the same one where Grantham Model Railways was based.

• 8 months later...

Further Update on THE only model railway shop in Grantham. 

As of 18th June the shop will be in 46 Watergate (by the carpark), in the same shop that used to be a model railway shop over a decade ago.

Further Update on THE only model railway shop in Grantham. 

As of 18th June the shop will be in 46 Watergate (by the carpark), in the same shop that used to be a model railway shop over a decade ago.

[/

quote]

Yes Catkins , it's the same chap who had the shop before ; Paul somebody . You beat me to it , I was going to announce the same news .

He hopes to increase his range , with having a bit more room . So good luck to him .

Roy .

• 1 year later...

Further Update on THE only model railway shop in Grantham.

[/

quote]

Yes Catkins , it's the same chap who had the shop before ; Paul somebody . You beat me to it , I was going to announce the same news .

He hopes to increase his range , with having a bit more room . So good luck to him .

Roy .

I have only just seen this thread,drove through Grantham today and glanced at where the old shop used to be, and what do you know, there is a model shop! Quick search on the Internet and found this.

Didn't have time to stop and have a look today, but certainly will next time I'm that way.

It's Paul that had the shop originally then?

just for information

Digitrains has now moved from the small shop in Digby to a Larger new shop in Lincoln just near Pelham bridge near to Jackson's build base

the new address is

15 Clifton street

Lincoln

LN5 8LQ

01522 527731

First unit on left as you go in to the industrial estate free parking.

JOHN

May I put a word in for The Goods Yard, just a little further up the A1 at Tuxford? Only discovered it's existence recently and made my first visit on Saturday. Was made very welcome by the proprietors Phil and Richard.

www.thegoodsyard.co.uk

The site itself also has a very interesting history, details of which can be found on their website along with directions and the opening times.

• 1 month later...

Managed to get to Grantham last Friday, so called in to MRSG.

So, the same fella is running it that did do 20 years ago, in exactly the same premises.

Really good little shop, had that 'old fashioned' feel to it, without that wishing to sound derogatory.

Good stock of Peco, Bachmann and Hornby and at what I thought were decent, realistic prices for a 'local' shop. Second hand stuff as well.

Got some Railroad Mk1 coaches for just under £17 each and a Bachmann D11 for £102

Sadly, another establishment not happy with the way Hornby are handling dealers, and getting to the point of not restocking their kit.

Seems a shame.

Call in and have a look, if you remember the original shop, it's a nice blast from the past.

Usual statement, no connection, other than as a customer

• 1 year later...

Looks like I was the last person to comment on this shop, but managed to call in briefly today, first time since January last year actually.

I thought stock levels of Hornby, Bachmann & Dapol were pretty good, a decent selection of kit really.

Prices are what you would expect for a town centre shop, not as low as the so called box shifters, but comparable to other shops.

Nice to be able to actually look at stuff, shame I don't get into Grantham town centre much.

I did notice they close at 13:00 on Saturdays, not sure about rest of week.

I like it, reminds me of going in there 25 years ago.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just been pointed in the direction of ththis thread after starting a new one.

I did not know that MRS Grantham even existed, but I will make a point of calling in in the next week or so.

They do not seem to be listed in UKModelshops.co.uk, but that might just be my fat fingers.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

OK, so Access Models was never great for railway modelling, but it carried lots of useful bits an bobs and also supplied my helicopter spare part habit !

If the OP is still on RM Web it would be worthwhile editing the thread title to "Grantham's replacement model shop". (Could the Mods do it?)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pboeast

Thanks, I've only been to Grantham once, my home shop being Trains4u, Peterborough. I've never been in though, it was closed when I visited.

Archived