S.R. Sub-Stations

Exceptional work if I may say so Celticwardog. A very convincing model.

Obviously you've put a lot of hard work into this and it really has paid off.

I'd love to understand a little more about the construction of the finer details at some point if you have time.

For me though, most outstanding off all is the concrete patina you have achieved ... and also the worn and rusted metal in the fourth picture down.

Is this going on a layout btw?

Guest Celticwardog

Thanks mate. I have to clarify (I have said this on numerous other posts and get bored of having to lol) I didn't build it. I work in tendem with a mate, he builds and I paint, so I can take the credit for the concrete and rust effects lol. Happy to answer any specific questions though as I know how it was made. It is going on a layout yes, a long thin one called Shelvington (it runs across a wide shelf...I know...groan) in the southern region Guildford area circa 1985. Done like this to run stock we already have and to run what is pictured below (Tadpoles!) through a not often modeled hideous prefab (CLASP) station.

post-19818-0-90681700-1380582318_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-68206100-1380582556_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-03439400-1380582563_thumb.jpg

Guest Celticwardog

I have just realised who you are, the guy beh8ind Frankland right aka Mr N_Gauge sausages! Amazing stuff! Love 1930s art deco stuff, built a huge Odeon which can't be used alas for Shelvington but think you will like it unfinished though it is.

post-19818-0-91163800-1380583438_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Excellent work, really capturing the look and feel of the real thing. Is the Tadpole the DC Kits model? If so did you use the bogie sideframes provided with the kit. Again excellent modelling.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Guest Celticwardog

Hi,

Excellent work, really capturing the look and feel of the real thing. Is the Tadpole the DC Kits model? If so did you use the bogie sideframes provided with the kit. Again excellent modelling.

Cheers for now, Ian.

No, found the DC kits one to be not quite there as good as it is. This is a totally kitbashed Bachmann BG with a 2EPB motor. However, the sides are brass etchings and the roof has been split down the middle, a bit sliced out and reconnected to make it narrower then superdetailed (conduits).

The underframe/bogies is the only thing that is really still there and that has been added to.

Guest Celticwardog

Superb modelling all round.

I think CLASP building are so hideous as to be irresistably beautiful, and on my to do list. Did you have drawings for the model?

Mike.

Hi & thanks. No drawings but this is based on one in the Wool but flipped for design purposes.

post-19818-0-30836300-1380636933_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-33609800-1380636950.jpg

Out of interest, whereabouts is the substation that you based your model on ?.

Regards, Frank.

Can't identify the location but it looks like one of the Maidstone & Gillingham extension ASEA substations from 1939 (guessing West Malling or Denton). These were found between Gravesend & Maidstone West, Otford Jn & Maidstone East, Swanley & Rochester Bridge Jn. Has its original transformer too which puts the photo back in the 80's

Some cracking models on show above..........................

Hi Paul.

No you'll be right, I thought that all the original TX's went in the late 80's GEC upgrades but thinking about it that was just on the BTR's. ISTR the large coil of negative cable acting as an attenuator went as part of that scheme too..

Had some good days working with the Swanley boys in those Subs............fitting LOPI protection as part of the new oil-filled feeder works etc etc. and those completely unscreened 415v auxiliary cubicles.......................... :O

No, found the DC kits one to be not quite there as good as it is. This is a totally kitbashed Bachmann BG with a 2EPB motor. However, the sides are brass etchings and the roof has been split down the middle, a bit sliced out and reconnected to make it narrower then superdetailed (conduits).

The underframe/bogies is the only thing that is really still there and that has been added to.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting the origin of the Tadpole to be a BG!! Are the brass sides available commercially? Once again excellent modelling.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Guest Celticwardog

You are very welcome. The brass etch was designed by us. If there was enough interest we would be able to produce it as a for sale item. Can also include the plans for the plasticard interior ( Considering producing the whole thing in about 8 variants (a kit of parts, kit unpainted, blue, blue/grey, green and weathered versions of those) but again not sure how much interest there would be??? The main bodywork is a styrene sub-frame, which is glued to the roof, then the etched sides are superglued to the subframe (with the plasticard and etch mating faces roughed up, I can't seperate them when glued). I can print out sticky labels for the styrene subframe (stick these to plasticard, cut out and then peel off after wetting with white spirit). I have white metal castings for all the underframe components too.

This has gone way off topic though, don't want to hijack the thread and annoy the OP.

Archived