Changing up to 7mm Scale

Matloughe

Good Afternoon,

I am appealing for some assistance from 7mm gauge modellers; I've spend several years contemplating however now I am selling parts of my OO Gauge collection I think I am coming to the conclusion of changing up to O Gauge at the same time. Makes sense really, my previous layout was a write-off thanks to some careless movers and the latest efforts haven't inspired me. This afternoon I was talking to an exhibitor at Barnstaple MRC's exhibition and he convinced me that in hos own words if he could do it then I could do it.

I've decided to take the plunge, I am going to order some Peco track from Hattons this afternoon and I am looking for a little some thing to put on it. My first thought was the Peco wagon kits to get familiar with the scale then perhaps brass kit and eventually a locomotive.

Could anyone advise me the best way to proceed; almost everywhere says "Join the O Gauge Guild" which is fine, I might but for the moment I just want to dabble rather then go whole hog into a new Gauge. In OO Gauge I generally model SR & its predecessors - I don't think my bias will change overnight but I did see some beautify GWR locomotives this afternoon.

Thank you to any & all who reply in advance.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

Hi

I'm not going to recomend any makes of kits as it is each to their own, what some find easy others find difficult and visa versa.

You seem to have got it right so far (starting with plastic kits), all plastic kits are of a similar easy enough build, Peco kits have wheels included whereas most others don't, so no extra cost there. Regarding brass, some are easier than others, once again its what you find you can cope with regarding ease of build, white metal kits are heavier than the rest but go together fairly easy. Loco kits, the best thing to do here is have a look at what other modellers think of different kits, some are straight forward to build and some are fairly difficult. Over the years I have built kits from various firms, but have settled on 2 for brass and 1 for white metal.

I know I haven't given you much information but it is a minefield.

Hope this helps you.

Alan

Hi Matloughe,

A good start is to have a good look around the Gauge 0 Guild's website

http://www.gauge0guild.com/

and see what there is that might take you in a bit further. If you can, arrange to go to Guildex at Telford 3rd & 4th September - the details are on the website. Also have a look at the traders websites and use the navigation buttons to find your nearest Club and go and have a look-see.

There is also the 7mm+ forum thread here which can give you a good insight into the Gauge.

Take your time and don't be put off.

Best of luck

Mike

GOG 4892

Thanks for your replies, good to know that someone will have an answer for me. yes.gif

I've ordered a yard of track from Hattons, and looking at a JLRT BR Van as a possible first kit to have a bash at. Anyone had any experience with these, website says its ideal as a first venture in O Gauge as it has a one-piece moulded body.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

Hi

I don't think you need to be too simple in what you start with - 7mm wagon kits are very similar to 4mm ones. Beware with JLRT vans as they have brought out a number which have the wrong brake rigging for the bodies. Your first idea of Peco was a good one, they were designed by Webster of Ratio and are very finely moulded and have excellent wheels. But, as you are interested in SR then I would suggest you look at the Parkside kits. They are complete with Slaters wheels and the more modern ones have some etched parts for some brake parts, but not a lot. Slaters themselves are also very good - in some respects better value, although some aspects of them are more complex - but not a lot. ABS whitemetal kits are also good, and there is a vast range of them available.

Etched kits are available but I suggest care here, very good for representing steel bodied wagons but difficult for wood. They either have multiple layers to build up something resembling a wooden body, or lack bulk. I can't help with locos and coaches - although from watching the 7mm Yahoo group there are an awful lot of pitfalls out there. RTR are either very expensive, or not very good - Skytrex have a very large number of products, but they are more Tri-ang than Bachmann if you see what I mean.

Enjoy 7mm, it is far more stimulating than 4mm. Try and get to one of the GoG shows - Telford in early September being the main one.

Paul Bartlett

Thank you Paul,

I've gone by my original idea as you suggested and ordered a GW 5-Plank wagon from Peco. Going to see how that goes together and go from there really, if it goes ok then I'll look at Slaters next perhaps. This is really just a toe dipping exercise. I had a few people raise their eyebrows at me when I said I was thinking of changing being only 23 they wanted to know "why?" and wouldn't accept i'd like to have a personal model that I have had to build rather then an off the shelf product.

I'll read more thoroughly into the different kits before I go too much further; I do want to do a locomotive in the future (obviously) to have something to shuffle my stock around but that's not until some ways in the future from what I can see right now.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

Slaters and Parkside kits aren't a bad place to start in my opinion.

I've built a few of these now after getting fed up with my soldering iron and brass kits.

Most have been without any major struggles but so far I've found:

a) the instructions sometimes require some educated guessing in some parts - images of real or kit built wagons help alot.

B) you tend to be filing and trimming alot of the excess off most of the time....so get a good set of files.

c) there are plenty of bits in the boxes....some of which you won't use but are always good to keep just in case they come in handy for other wagons in the future.

I've built 2 x BR Pipe Wagon, BR VanWide and a BR ShockVan, all just either need the roof glueing on or the brass bits soldering together....then painting.

But overall, take your time, double check something if you're not sure, even ask a kind member of RmWeb who has built the kit for images or find images of the wagons online and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Forgot to add, keep an eye out on ebay as you sometimes get some bargains of unbuilt plastic kits.

GE

Matloughe,

The big advantage of joining the Guild is the network of local groups. As well as the social element, you can get help on part built kits and useful information on the pitfalls of various kits.

Bill

Which of the Southern constituents do you favour the most? In terms of loco kits, some of the constituents are quite well served whereas others less so, and there is a variable quality and skill level to those available. However, an idea of your preferences would mean some suggestions for the future could be made.

Matloughe,

The big advantage of joining the Guild is the network of local groups. As well as the social element, you can get help on part built kits and useful information on the pitfalls of various kits.

Bill

And the big disadvantage is your age, you are about 40 30 years too young! :laugh:. I finally joined the local one when I retired, and I guess I am the second youngest.

Paul Bartlett

Enjoy 7mm, it is far more stimulating than 4mm. Try and get to one of the GoG shows - Telford in early September being the main one.

I completely agree with this advice, and can't recommend the Telford show enough - it's one of the best exhibitions that I've ever been to and there's loads of stuff to entice your cash from your wallet, if you're so inclined.

Thank you all for your replies,

Provided everything goes well on a few wagons I most likely will join the guild. I have also been looking at joining Barnstaple or Ilfracombe MRC. Ilfracombe's website however isn't up at the moment and Barnstaple is abit too far to go to Fremington as I don't drive at the moment but I am sure something will sort itself out.

I am biased towards the LB&SCR when modelling Adrian, I have already seen that Roxley Moulding do an A1x Terrier kit in O Gauge its something I would like to do, also that Meteor Models do a LB&SCR D1 in O Gauge as well. If anyone has any experience in these kits please would they let me know? It'll help me to decide at some stage. To start with I was thinking the Connoisseur starter locomotive based on the Triang Nellie. It looks a neat little kit after I've done a few wagons, perhaps a coach from the Connoisseur range.

I think I got the social aspect yesterday speaking to Bob Thorne the owner and builder of Godshill. If you're on here Bob, I said I'd be blaming you! biggrin.gif

I will look into going to Telford - money provided being unemployed currently, erm I mean a Gentleman of Leisure cash flow is always something I have to watch carefully. Is it unusual for someone of my age to think about changing up? Surely most people change down a gauge at my age to shoehorn more into a given space.

Many Thanks to all!

~ Matloughe

Hi Matloughe,

Congratulations on selecting the 'senior scale'! (I think it's called that as it's been a recognised 'scale' for longer than 00 but could apply to the membership!;)).

I was about your age or even a few years younger, when I first started dabbling with 0 gauge - how I wish I'd gone all-out for 0 at the time.

I was involved with a local museum (via a good friend) and they had a very good 0 gauge layout, I helped with building track and wagons and picked up 'the bug' from doing that!

Unfortunately, I did not throw myself into the scale - I kept my 00 and H0 models and over the next twenty and more years, built up those collections!

While I do have some of todays very nice 0 gauge models including Slaters & Parkside plastic kits, Connoisseur brass beginners kit, etc, etc - I think it would be simply too heartbreaking to sell the small scale off in order to concentrate on 7mm. Which is what I should do!

So, my advice is to go for it - all out!

Wishing you every success,

John E.

Remember you don't have to have a spare aircraft hangar or massive garden to build an O Scale layout. I have several O Scale layouts; none of them are longer than 10ft... My main 'British' one is Withyn Reach (link to RMweb3), and I have a US one called

(short You-Tube clip).

You can also get O Scale into a Boxfile Micro-layout... and I'm not the only one to do it!!

Enjoy your new adventure!!! ;)

Is it unusual for someone of my age to think about changing up? Surely most people change down a gauge at my age to shoehorn more into a given space.

A bit, but not that unusual. A discussion on another forum highlighted several people who had started in 7mm from mid to late 20's, so there are a few about. I was 31 when I bought my first 7mm stuff, I'm now 33 and haven't finished anything yet! (That's my own fault though, for making things harder than they should be!)

Although I'm not a member, I would recommend you joining the Gauge 'O' Guild. If for no other reason, the GOG Gazette is a truly excellent magazine (I get to borrow copies). The adverts and reviews are truly mouth watering, as are the articles. 7mm remains a builders scale and there is far more available than in 4mm scale, although 7mm RTR is on the increase as well.

You haven't mentioned what you intend building. Will it be a small SR or GWR branchline for instance? Gauge 0 is ideally suited to the garden if you need space.

I remember reading about your O Gauge boxfile F-UnitMAD it was intriguing at the time. My own 4mm boxfile never really materialised biggrin.gif

I haven't even though about a plan to build yet if I am totally honest.

A SR branch terminus would be ideal, the spare requirements are more onerous. I'd imagine provided the baseboard design in my head will work (Hinged design folding into a box) and it'll fit in its storage space i.e. under my bed when not in use then I could probably squeeze 12' x 2' set of boards, divided into equal 6'x2' obviously hinged together. But it isn't anything more then an idea in my head so far.

That design would have to be self-contained no bolt-on fiddleyard.

Even if I do get that far, it wont be for some time yet biggrin.gif

Hi Matloughe

I started 0gauge modelling just over 2 years ago and like you I started with a simple plastic kit, quickly followed by a brass Conossieur flat then an Agenoria tank engine, then.................... :laugh:

I would strongly recommend that you join a club with its own layout. There is no substitute for the buzz when your own kit runs on a nice layout. Go to the gauge 0 guild website, "clubs/links, find your nearest club" put in the first 3 digits of you postcode and it will find the clubs within a 30 mile radius.

The website also has an electronic back catalogue of the magazine "The Gazette" and the best bit is that it's searchable, including reviews and layouts. There is also an electronic book "Small Layouts" which is great for ideas. Subscription is not expensive and, as already been said, the magazine is very good.

If I were you I'd beg borrow and beg again to get to Telford for Guildex it is Mecca for O gauge enthusiasts. You'll find loads of help, from the traders, Jim McGoewan is a star, also from the demonstrators who'll show you how to build plastic kits and brass kits, how to paint and weather and lots more. There is also a brass kit building workshop but it's probably booked up by now.

HTH

Kev

not all O gauge modellers are senior :laugh:

Im at the age of 16 and posses 4 locos and numerous wagons, the best of advice i could give is start with a parkside dundas wagon , they go together easily, the instructions are clear. aslong as you hav files to file down the burrs,

The slater instructions i found more difficult to read but they domake a superb model. i cant comment on the O gauge Peco wagons as i have never built one...

I soon will be thinking about a Brass locomotive, and from the good reviews ive heard im going for the Agenoria models range as the slot and tab from what i have seen is excellent

But a high powered soldering iron is needed for working with Brass

Kristian

I am biased towards the LB&SCR when modelling Adrian, I have already seen that Roxley Moulding do an A1x Terrier kit in O Gauge its something I would like to do, also that Meteor Models do a LB&SCR D1 in O Gauge as well. If anyone has any experience in these kits please would they let me know? It'll help me to decide at some stage. To start with I was thinking the Connoisseur starter locomotive based on the Triang Nellie. It looks a neat little kit after I've done a few wagons, perhaps a coach from the Connoisseur range.

OK, so essentially small Brighton locos.

The Roxey terrier is a whitemetal kit with a brass chassis, and fairly similar to the Vulcan kit (currently unavailable) about which there was a good article in Model Railway Journal 63. An alternative is the brass Ace kit, but that firm's wares can be variable in quality, depending on the provenance of the kit in question.

Albion Models do a brass D1 and E1, both of these were shot up from 4mm kits (about which I heard many good things, and on the strength of it bought 7mm versions of both locos, though they're currently in the to-do pile), and can be bought through Roxey, though aren't listed on their website. As you've discovered, Meteor also sell kits for these two locos, these were designed and sold by MSC for the 7mm market, and Meteor took them over a couple of years ago. Meteor also do a few other Brighton locos from the same stable which might be of interest - the D3 and E4 spring to mind. I've not built any Meteor/MSC Brighton kits, but have had some here to paint. None of them were 'glass case' models, looked fairly simple in their construction but were built up into decent 'layout' locos.

Heading back to Roxey, they sell a number of Brighton coaches and vans, plus the archetypal Stroudley goods brake van.

This should be a useful link, though is now partially out of date - the MSC range has been dispersed to other traders and the Alan Gibson coaches are currently unavailable.

I'd recommend Connoisseur models as a first loco kit. Jim also offers a reasonable variety of brass wagon and coach kits.

Parkside wagon kits are complete, including transfers, which is worth considering when making a decision.

Welcome on board, I'm sure you'll find it frustrating at times but overall will hopefully be a happy experience!

Alan.

There was an excellent guide to starting in 0 Gauge by Raymond Walley included as a supplement to BRM some years ago - it was quite instrumental in convincing me to have a go.

Transcript is here: http://www.raymondwa...d/starting.html

The prices are probably a good 5-6 years out of date, but otherwise it'll still give you a good idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

Archived