GWR Hall Class Locomotives(inc Modified Halls)

cary hill

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks Phil - I'll delete that link which crept in from elsewhere.  as far as the hydrostatic lubrocator is concerned I have few of the original glass 'tubes' somewhere - liberated fro Southall stores during a big clearing-out session of no longer needed items back in 1967 - maybe I should have had a few gauges as well but they went onto the money (aka scrap) bin.

Probably a fair brass content in the gauges…. Bet a lot of what would now be really useful to preservation went that way.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Probably a fair brass content in the gauges…. Bet a lot of what would now be really useful to preservation went that way.

Very much the case Phil - there was an amazing amount of 'steam stuff still in. Southall stores then (I suspect some of it had been sent there from Old Oak when the rebuilding work started) and I got roped in to what turned out to be a major chuck out and rearrangement session in order to better organise stuff for looking after DMUs.  Rather sad in some ways but the instruction was clear - all 'steam' stuff to go for scrap or into the waste paper basket (there was almost none of the latter alas). 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Started to work on this today … bye bye 6990 hello 7920. Early crest on tender a doddle to get off, just a bit of minimal thumbnail pressure required. 

9A416806-3090-4339-BE73-706387624731.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned the hopper ashpan modification that some had. Put a very large handle through the hole in the step on firemans side pull handle down,release safety catch, then push handle forward to ety ashpan. Brilliant idea, pity the rocking great bit didnt happen!

The big square spigot behind the step looked like a key hole to wind the loco up! Castles had the same modification I believe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Nobody has mentioned the hopper ashpan modification that some had. Put a very large handle through the hole in the step on firemans side pull handle down,release safety catch, then push handle forward to ety ashpan. Brilliant idea, pity the rocking great bit didnt happen!

The big square spigot behind the step looked like a key hole to wind the loco up! Castles had the same modification I believe.

Was that in BR days Mike or a preservation mod? 

About 57 yrs! But its the only job I really wanted to do, of course I found other employment which I was happy with but rolling down to Cheltenham / Gloucester via the SMJ and Honeybourne on a summer afternoon with a 9f on an ironstone train from Banbury what could have been better? Not so much fun with a 7200t on the way back with 50 empties!! Happy days.

• Like 1