Coppercap

Again from Cheona' relevant tome:-

W35392 'Bodmin RU' St Blazey, June 1958

W35690 ' Shrewsbury (Coton Hill)- Southall, July 1964

W17413 'Fishguard RU'- with a 12 line list of workings Southall, July 1964

W17274 'Birkenhead RU' with specific working detail Worcester, April 1963

W68870 'Tavistock Jct' Acton Bridge, October 1962

W68834 'Stourbridge RU' Ruabon, November 1962

W68571 'Par' June 1958 (this one's for Il Grifone)

There are several other pages of ex-GWR brake van photos.

There is also a photo of a BR standard van, carrying 'CAP' TOPS code, but also the legend:-

R.U. Paddington

10:20PM (SX) Paddington- Hackney

2:00 PM (SO) Acton- Hackney

6:50 PM Newton Abbot- Acton (SX)/ Paddington (SO)

11:40 AM (SX) Acton - Paddington.

The photo was taken in 1977, and the routing instructions were still completely legible- the van was new in 1962, and had both roller bearings and OLEO buffers.

I think the Newton vans were branded 'Newton Abbot'; I've never seen one branded 'Hackney'. (might be a bit confusing when in the London area!).

With regard to the Aberdare to Salisbury coal trains, I've seen a note in Bristol Division records about changing guards (but presumably not vans) at Trowbridge. Can't remember if that was before or after WW1.

B953024 was branded Acton RU in late 61/early 62 on a Don Rowlands print I have

WESTERN, ACTON R.U., dedicated to certain workings involving Paddington, Acton and Cardiff

I can't find the print at the moment but I remember half of the van side was covered in the specific routing!

Its a pity there isn't a known list of all the brandings somewhere. I need to do a couple of Neath N&B RU branded Toads in the future but sadly the numbers aren't legible on the examples i've found so far.

• RMweb Premium

The Cambrain had some double ended vans. Don't know how long they lastest into GWR days. Dragon Models do a kit.

Don

Maybe this is one? Or maybe it's ex South Wales?

35983 was a double ended 6 wheeler which lasted into BR days. There is a picture in Russell's wagons appendix although it's origin is not known by him.

He states the body looks like Swindon manufacture but the underframe does not.

EDIT Looking in Cheona it would appear to be ex Barry as there is a pic of 35971 which looks very much the same.

Keith

Folks - for those who do not know, try the Yahoo Group gwr-elist

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/gwr-elist/files/

Contains several files relating to GWR and BR(WR) Toads, including one file with allocations.

Also files containing

(a) Scale Trains article, all parts, at

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/gwr-elist/files/GWR%20Brake%20Vans%20/

(B) Model Railway Constructor article, all parts, at

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/gwr-elist/files/GWR%20Goods%20Brake%20Vans%201888-1950/

Brian R

• 1 year later...

One subject that does not seem to have been raised in this thread is the availability of suitable transfers.  I can see some brandings for BR brake vans in Wales on the Cambridge Custom transfers list, but not GWR TOADs.

In the Modelmasters range the pre nationalisation Brake vans sheet gives numbers for GWR TOADs but lacks allocation brandings, and also lacks the "NOT IN COMMON USE" branding that all seemed to have had (this is for the 2mm sheet -  I assume the 4mm sheet is similar).

Any ideas of sources please?

Douglas

Archived