Is this an inspection saloon?

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

Could anyone tell me what this coach is/was? I've got a feeling that this was an inspection saloon, but I'm not too sure. The yellow end & horns on the roof indicate that it would be propelled quite a lot, supporting my inspection saloon theory, but the lack of windows on the end don't support that idea. I seem to remember someone informing me it is ex GWR but I'd like to know more about it.

post-6756-0-45095500-1320879010_thumb.jpg

That's the GWR 'Whitewash' coach, DW139, a 1911 Toplight coach 2360 (sorry - 3360 was a typo) rebuilt in 1932 (and updated many times subsequently) and used up to 1989. I hadn't realised it was now in such poor condition, though!

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Agree 1

That's the GWR 'Whitewash' coach, DW139, a 1911 Toplight coach 3360 rebuilt in 1932 (and updated many times subsequently) and used up to 1989. I hadn't realised it was now in such poor condition, though!

Is it historicaly significant?

Let me re-phrase that question, Is it more historicaly significant as a 1911 coach, or a 1932 "whitewash" coach?

And does the NRM realise it's latter importance? :unsure:

Edited by Catkins

It is indeed the whitewash coach (DW)139. It was originally carried its Brake third number of 2360 (never seen it listed as 3360 as mentioned above).

As seen below, in 1986 It was immaculate when first given to the NRM and they have let it deteriorate to its current dreadful state. If NRM did not want it , then consideration to giving it to a preserved railway should be given. It would make an ideal disabled vehicle.There is a similar LMS track tester at York that is going the same way.

In terms of historical significance, there is very little apart from the fact that, at the time of withdrawal, it was the only wooden bodied vehicle cleared to travel at 100mph due to it being fitted with B4 bogies ( the previous 7ft Colletts going to the GWS at Didcot).

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-77013000-1321552432_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-62186200-1321552465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 years later...