Guest baldrick25

My experience is that the 'strips' left when the one side was machined peel off after 12 months leaving an unholy mess.... but maybe that was me. Its now on my 'materials not to bother list'.

With Baldric on that one... more durable would be to use something like 8mm ply. groove the back to allow you to create the bend you require and then seal with a good varnish or PVA. Any cut in the original surface of MDF usually ends in tears.... One of the few things I agree with sceptic's on is the fact that MDF should only be cut and machined within a controlled enviroment.

Get a large sheet of thick plastic card / corrugated variety of plastic card ( not the Slaters/modelling stuff) - far better for the job in hand

Often used in your local as advertising for xmas dinners and the like......ideal time to grovel for one I reckon

I might try grovelling up my local for a xmas dinner Mickey,or have I misread yer post lol?

I think the trick with BendyMDF is finding an undamaged sheet in the first place. When first introduced to the material (by a certain Mr Nevard of this parish) I followed his links and saw that it was available from B&Q. Long story short - took me five B&Qs before I found any in reasonable condition, and that was after searching through the whole pile. And I only wanted one sheet!

It is manufactured flat and whole and in convenient sized lumps, but once it gets into the hands of a DIY store it's at the mercy of their employees. I contacted the manufacturer with this and they are aware.

Wickes do a similar own brand product (think it's this one http://www.wickes.co...rd/invt/190139/) but that suffers similar handling/damage, I discovered.

This is the original - http://www.bendymdf.co.uk/ - but don't believe them when they say 'available from all B&Q stores. I visited more than the five mentioned above to find any.

I've curved mine to about a 12cm radius, I know I shouldn't but I have. It's secured with No More Nails to the framed backscene.

post-5402-0-75615600-1321105646_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I have done a similar job to yours John. I found some in the B & Q in Aintree, The top shet was damaged but, found a good one under that. I cut it in half to get two sheets of 4ft x 1ft. I have sealed the back with PVA and the front with white emulsion. Next is to paint some scenery.

I use hardboard, smooth side out. Wet it before bending on the reverse (knobbly) side, use plenty of water, let it soak for a few minutes, bend & fix it. It dries out & keeps the bend.

Try an offcut first.

Brit15

Archived