Strathnaver (formally Caddroun) on the move again in 2mm scale!

Russ (mines a pint)

• RMweb Gold

Ok just a working title for now; For those who could be bothered to follow my mindless 'bloggins' we've been everywhere from the Cumbrian Coast to the Northwest Highlands in trying to find a suitable venue for the various bits of 2mm scale track I have been trying to put together.

Its approaching the stage that I have some working points and some lovely ready made baseboard material in the shape of two IKEA apa boxes (see also: link to be added)

http://www.rmweb.co....=deadwater+burn

this is the thread for the old layout - for anyone interested:

http://www.geograph....se.php?p=538536

and the geograph link for the proposed - in real life its about halfway between Deadwater & Saughtree.

I like the idea of a station a good bit above the road, and the places its supposed to serve, the 2mm scale will help here.

I still miss the old Deadwater Burn layout as I had planned an extension for it, then found ourselves in a 'moving' situation where I had to dispose of layout(s) quickly.

Hopefully this will become the layout that the original might have been If I had altered it, it is always pleasing to know the original went to a good home and was refurbished, and actually back to nearer its original spec.

The 2mm will use roughly the same plan, but it'll be a mirror image so to speak, there may also be a loop + 1 siding as opposde to the 'no loop' + 1 siding on the original. More to follow.....

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see this one has now got a thread all of its own Russ..... I find a thread a lot easier to follow (mainly 'cos it appears it VNC)

Yeh, I thought the blog idea was quite good at the time, but not convinced I am clever (or that should maybe be IT savvy) enough to make the best of it (or even find it sometimes!!)

A diagram is to follow, but if you can imagine a plan view of the two boxes.

Top left is fiddleyard- about 1ft 3 ins - top right is a Deadwater-esque style station- then in front of fiddleyard are two parralel sidings. So the whole front of box is 'viewable'

the two sidings will be for adoption by the MOD for a local firing range, possibly in a disused quarry (of which there are a few)

- along the lines of Eskmeals or

, both in Cumbria - there were plenty MOD areas in the North Pennines, they are usually marked 'danger area' on OS maps.

Road & water features in front and below the rail interest - in a similar but expanded style of the Deadwater layout.

As planned its fiddle yd to terminus but if I can find a way of running the Dmu out onto maybe a fold out section, would only need to be single track and about 10-11 inches long? will do.

diagram/track plans to follow.

Edit: PS- another warcop related video worth watching- watchout particularly for the gentle buffering up to the guards van -PMSL!!

• RMweb Gold

post-7-0-29862600-1321132742_thumb.jpg

Rough Plan time - above is set out the Deadwater way round whilst below is a flipped version:

post-7-0-41511100-1321132746_thumb.jpg

not the best of quality as my scanner is not set up at this time!

- but its only a rough plan anyway - in the darkened area is the culvert and road bridge.

Looking at the points I have already made/started it will be the top version I think with the fiddleyard at the left hand end.

Buildings for the station will be as for Deadwater, maybe simplified a little bit.

- at the rear a farmtrack goes over to hide the fiddleyard, as per the occupation bridge in the geograph links at the start.

Not sure whether to go for a ground frame or small g/f signal box as in the style of Keilder Forest.

- also not sure about any buildings around the sidings, will need to research Warcop and Eskmeals some more and see what sort of operational buildings (if any) were present?

• RMweb Gold

Templot Pages-caddroun.pdf

Looks a bit better in templot, though not bothered exactly lining up sidings here, will be done by eye as it goes on , just needing the point templates really.

Yes a foot or slightly less should be ok for a two car dmu, If you watched the youtube vids the freight will not be that much longer.

Though I guess for my era I will need traditional gunpowder vans and shock vans rather than the long wheelbase railfreight types!

Nice to see this one has now got a thread all of its own Russ..... I find a thread a lot easier to follow (mainly 'cos it appears it VNC)

You used to be able to 'favourite' a blog and it came up in the new content on the previous version of the site. Enough of my grumbling, sorry.

This will go in my content that I follow, just like everyone else above.

A lovely area to model, - the bleak border uplands. Am I right in assuming your keeping the line open and modelling blue diesels 1970s?

The fiddle yard extention for a DMU is definitely a good idea if you have the room, and looking at your plan I wonder if there's space for a short siding where you could drop off a couple of 16t coal wagons and the occasional 16t van? A small signal box (Kielder) would look good although you'd probably have to assume it would have been replaced by a ground frame at some time.

Will the MOD sidings have a platform loading area and/or an end on loading dock to deliver vehicles? Not sure about what buildings would be present? Assuming it's a railhead from where stores and equipment would be taken on by road, maybe a large prefabricated shed ( probably painted dark green) and possibly a garage to house a landrover and a couple of forklift trucks? The large building might help to hide the fiddle yard, but such a large scale military presence with security fencing etc would also detract from the atmosphere of an isolated Border Counties station.,,,so maybe just the garage and a small office?

Look forward to following Caddroun...I'll be interested to see how it develops. Can't wait to see Gateshead 37s working up to Riccarton! :good: Good luck with the build.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after a lot of hoo & hawing it seems that I am still torn between highland and borders locations, I cant see that changing anytime soon.

After a bit of new years pragmatism, I can still see the borders idea actually materialising.

I need to get some track down & scenery started to keep me on the straight & narrow!

-point building in 2mm scale has been sending me absolutely insane- I just dont have the eyesight, steadyness of hand or even the fine motor skills required.

-besides I have come to the conclusion that I dont want to become a 'slave' to rewheeling things, again I dont have the time or patience.

-there were a lot of things I bodged & never thoroughly mastered in EM that I think just wouldn't work in the smaller scale

I'm pretty much at the point of ordering some N gauge points, hopefully finding a way of using these with the easitrac already in my pocession.

Still aiming to have a go at the Deadwater building in card, possibly another structure or two, augmented by ready-to -plonk or kits as neccessary.

- though never been a fast worker going to have to have some sort of progress soon or just going to loose interest.

I still miss my 3 links so there is always the possibility of a 4mm shunting layout if this continues to nowhere!

• RMweb Gold

You should have no trouble using Easitrac with N gauge points with a bit of carefull tweaking at the joins. If it was just the turnouts bothering you I would offer to make a couple for you but if you are also put off by the re-wheeling of everything..... Standards such as EM and 2mfs work well with kit building where changing the wheels is no bother.

The other option of building your own points in Easitrac to N standards is no easier than building them to 2mfs (having built copperclad track in both scales I found 2mfs easier).

Of course if you like three links you could always go 0 gauge that's what I did years ago and have only recently returned to do 2mm (whilst keeping the 0 gauge).

If you do feel like carrying on with the 2mm let me know.

Don

Hi Russ

I think you are heading in the right direction, by getting something together that works and progresses more quickly, you will hold the interest. I think you will be OK tweaking peco points to match up with Easytrack. Thought about filing a tapper on the inside of the rail, you have only got to gain 0.21 mm off each side.

Good luck

Gary

I'm pretty much at the point of ordering some N gauge points, hopefully finding a way of using these with the easitrac already in my pocession.

You will have to add some packing so the railhead is the same height. Tweak the ends of the rail slightly at the join if necessary to improve running.

• RMweb Gold
If you do feel like carrying on with the 2mm let me know.

Don

Cheers Don,

PM sent with a few thoughts, I do like the idea of the scale but at the moment pointwork is not coming easily. Re-wheeling I suppose can be a gradual process and not too irksome especially if you keep the fleet size sensible.

• RMweb Gold

Re-wheeling I suppose can be a gradual process and not too irksome especially if you keep the fleet size sensible.

It certainly is with me!

I have a shed load of stock waiting for 'drop in' or turned down wheels but I send a few off gradually to Gordon as it would break the bank to do all at once.

Careful consideration of your new layout may not even require it, depending on turnout location. My new boxfile layout in planning has a few lines of easitrac without turnouts that can probably even use the wheels a supplied, leaving just a few locos and wagons for shunting the sidings requiring reprofiled wheels...

Might be worth considering this?

• RMweb Gold

Well I think I have hit on something which might just work:

Inspired by Northpoints 'somewhere in Cornwall'

basic principles would be along the lines of this trackplan:

the spatial issues in 2mm scale would lend themselves to a much bigger scene.

so in the far north permutation you would have one of the simpler stations styled along the lines of Kinbrace or Altnabreac in the foreground, a singletrack platform, track laid in easitrac - whilst behind on a slightly lower level ( the track wouldn't even be visible) you could have some small freight shunting going on, for the location i'm thinking either fuel in tankers or timber . I believe there was a timber siding at Kinbrace well into 2000, though it was not parralel with the station.

This would admittedly probably take us on into the era where passenger services would be 156/158s as there would not be room for 2 fiddleyards long enough for loco-hauled passenger services, but a 26 or 37 possibly by now in railfreight or dutch livery could potter about shunting in the background. Track for the yard could be RTR N or a mix, as you would only see the top half of the train?

Archived