Garsdale Station buildings

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to find some drawings or photographs of the former station buildings on the island platform at Garsdale/Hawes Junction.

These were similar to the regular S&C waiting room layout but I believe they were larger and were surrounded by a canopy. They were modified in the early 1950's to their current form - so I am not interested in the current buidlings!

I have an extensive collection of S&C literature - including the Anderson& Fox volume of stations and structures, Jenkinson's Rails in the Fells, etc....

All the pictures I have seen show these buildings from the end of the platform - so they can only be seen at a distance and in profile.

Any assistance or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

David Jenkinson wrote several articles on his S & C layouts so they could give you some info. but you'll need to search indexes for the model press, not forgeting the ones that have ceased publication.

Have you looked for any local history books that are not railway specific as these can have a few railway photos in them.

Best wishes,

Les.

• RMweb Premium

The Model Railway Constructor, Model Drawings Reference Book has drawings of the Station (without canopy), platform shelter & weighbridge hut in May 1978 MRC.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

Les and Kevin.

Thanks for the advice - seems like I need to lay my hands on MRC May 1978!

All the best,

Steve

Sorry my mistake. It is of Hawes, not Hawes Junction/Garsdale.

Kevin Martin

There is a book on the buildings of the S&C. I think the authors are Reeves and Anderson and it was published around the early 1980s. From memory it is called something like Structures and Buildings of the S&C and I think it has enough information to model any of the stations with the possible exception of Culgaith, which was an oddity.

Archived