Roads A-C

St. Simon

Hi,

A small update today!

Work on Roads A-C will be suspended for the a couple of days while I build the storage / transport unit for the layout. I decided that I won't work on the layout until I have it set up as I would at an exhibition, this means building the unit. I won't show a design, I want it to be a surprise!

But in the mean time, I want to show you what I hope the layout will look like, I have found these photos on flickr of the area I'm modelling during the period I'm modelling (late night):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitkat37118/5659205330/in/set-72157626452074113

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitkat37118/5659208278/in/set-72157626452074113/

Actually in the time it took to write this post, i have discovered something interesting from this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/5245184176/

The main yard lamp I am modelling, the one to the left of the locomotive, is actually a three lamp light, where as I thought it was a 2 lamp light, this will have an impact on the light and what I'm now going to use! hmm, back to more research!

I now have a couple of things to ask you, the RMweb readers! After saying to a lot of people who said I should model the jacks working and I've said no because they are fixed, I've now found a photo that shows them not being fixed, so should I create a working model, or not? If I do, how do I do it?

Plus a request, if you are coming to Thames Valley Model Rail Expo on the 19th May and are interested in bring some Chiltern Railways Stock, please do and drop me a PM if you intend to, I don't have much stock and might need some more on the day!

Simon

can't wait to see the fiddle yard ? :scratchhead:

Hi,

haha, yes there will be a proper fiddle yard, it has yet to be built, it'll be a cassette fiddle yard, sharing them with Hythe Parkway and will be able to accomodate a three car DMU or 3 MK3's and Lesley, the shunter.

There will also be another fiddle yard, as mentioned on the first page (post #16) around the back and will take a 2 car unit or 2 MK3's and Lesley.

Simon

Hi,

Well, after a couple of days of woodwork and DIY, I have managed to almost finish the transport / storage units for Roads A-C, however, I have run out of 12mm ply to complete the shelfs, so have one left to do! Anyway, here it is at the moment:

post-7271-0-59972100-1329316274_thumb.jpg

It is made from 25mm x 25mm Pine corner supports with 12mm plywood shelves supported by 25mm Zinc plated corner braces from B&Q, it has handles on each side and castors on the bottom for transportation. The Board that is on the top will stay there and the other two boards will be placed on the shelves below. These will be taken out when being exhibited and then placed on either end with legs holding them up. The bottom shelf will be used for other things to do with the layout. The Red topped box is a power box which is shared between all three of our layouts.

As I said I've still got one shelf to make and I think that I will have to put some bracing on the ends of the unit so that it doesn't twist and it's more stable.

I have made a set of legs for the original challenge board, so I took the oppotunity to put the two boards up:

post-7271-0-90253300-1329316877_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-01897100-1329316895_thumb.jpg

It works pretty well I think. The legs are just 25mm x 25mm timber braced with ply and then they just slot into the end of the board. I while have a piece of timber hinged on the transport unit that swings down to stop the legs being kicked inwards. You'll also see that I have get out the backscenes for the layout as well as the the pieces of wood needed to create the letter box around the boards. I still have to paint most of them as well as cut holes out for track and cut the pieces of wood that go on top.

I wish to go back to a post a couple of days ago, I have been thinking about putting working jacks onto A-Road, as the jacks at Aylesbury are not fixed (as I first thought), but they don't venture very far from where they are meant to be, so i'm asking should I put them on and if I should, how would I go about doing it?

Comments and answers to the questions above are most welcome!

Simon

what a brilliant , ingenious method,simple but brilliant .

Hi,

Thank you, it's basically just a set of shelves on wheels, they are sized so that there's enough space for each board on the shelf. Hopefully I'll be able to attach the legs to the side and the bottom shelf will be big enough for stock / controllers, so that everything can be transported in one go and save me going to and from the car!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - nice idea Simon, and well executed! I had a similar idea to this, but never got round to building it.

Can I just suggest a couple of alterations? Don't know if you had planned to do any of this, but:

1) Put a couple of bolt on sides to both (or one) side.

or

2) Put lips on each of the shelves so that the layout won't slide straight off in the event of hefty shunt (or when sliding the layout on the shelves!).

Would just help to give the whole thing a bit of security - the top from the weather, and the bottom from accidents!

As I said though, a great idea!

Jam

Hi Jam,

Thank you very much, to be honest, i got the idea originally from you, but have only been able to actually put it into action!

Your suggestions are very much appreciated! I will probably have to put on some bracing pieces diagonally along the ends, to keep it ridged, I'll probably put them along the rear as well! I was going to stick some stripwood along the back, but I don't have any! I did put a strip of wood on the top shelf to stop the board sliding out of alignment. The top will be painted black because it'll be visible and the whole thing will also be varnished.

I did make a start on the fiddle yard, but I've just realised that I cut the top too short and too wide! I'll make the fiddle yard fold up because it won't have any track on it and it'll make it easier to transport. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to get the timber to finish the boards and legs, so there'll be more work on the layout by the weekend!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

I must dig out my design, I can't remember where I last posted it, or where it is as I think it was on my old laptop somewhere...

Just one other suggestion whilst I remember - have you got a way of levelling the layout in case the exhibition space doesn't have an even floor? I think I simply used crude wedges under the baseboard when I had an issue with alignment which wasn't the best method (but did work!) I've seen other people use rubber feet which you can twist to raise or lower the legs. I'll look forward to the next update!

By the way, forgive me if you have mentioned this in the past, but how do you transport your stock to/from exhibitions?

One final thought/question - what is the effect on the boards when the whole thing is moved on slightly rough ground? I'll be interested to know whether or not you need a bit of rubber or something on top of the shelves to stop the layout shaking itself to pieces!

Jam

Just one other suggestion whilst I remember - have you got a way of levelling the layout in case the exhibition space doesn't have an even floor? I think I simply used crude wedges under the baseboard when I had an issue with alignment which wasn't the best method (but did work!) I've seen other people use rubber feet which you can twist to raise or lower the legs. I'll look forward to the next update!

By the way, forgive me if you have mentioned this in the past, but how do you transport your stock to/from exhibitions?

One final thought/question - what is the effect on the boards when the whole thing is moved on slightly rough ground? I'll be interested to know whether or not you need a bit of rubber or something on top of the shelves to stop the layout shaking itself to pieces!

Jam

Hi Jam,

Thanks, I will be putting adjustable feet on the legs, you can't quite see it in the photos, but one of the legs on the old board doesn't quite touch the floor, so i will have to put some kind of feet on the end on it!

Not at all, for locos I use 10 litre 'really usefull boxes' from staples, with 5mm foamboard strips inbetween the locos to seperate them and some foam I found to protect the ends of the locos, for rolling stock, I use unfinished pine boxes from Homebase with bubble warp to protect the stock. I also use a open top version of the pine boxes to transport DMU's in. Finally if theres any stock left over I use shoe boxes!

hmm, that is a good question, the answer is that i don't exactly know! :O I have only tried it on a tiled and carpet floors, it should be fine I think although I don't intend to take it over rough ground because the castors are only small. I will have to see and keep you posted on it!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I used a similar arrangement for Tontine Street Goods, but soon discovered that lying it on it's side in the car wasn't a good idea - check that you can get the height of the full shelf unit in your car!

I ended up sawing the shelf unit in half, height wise, so I could stand them the correct way up in the hatchback. They fitted together with a simple plug/socket arrangement on the legs, made from 3mm ply.

The wheels (4-6" from B&Q) were permanently fixed at one end only - just off the floor, so all I had to do was lift the other end (with integral handle) slightly and the wheels made contact with the floor and I wheeled it about like a sack trolley.

Larger wheels also handle rougher surfaces better.

Cheers,

Mick

I used a similar arrangement for Tontine Street Goods, but soon discovered that lying it on it's side in the car wasn't a good idea - check that you can get the height of the full shelf unit in your car!

I ended up sawing the shelf unit in half, height wise, so I could stand them the correct way up in the hatchback. They fitted together with a simple plug/socket arrangement on the legs, made from 3mm ply.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Hopefully the idea with the unit is that I won't be putting it in the car with everything on it, but have all the parts taken off the shelves, put into the car seperately and when I get to the venue, I'll get the unit out, put everything in it's place then wheel it across to my position. It's intended only to be used to get the layout from the car to the position in the hall.

Simon

Hi,

Not really an update on the progress of the layout but more about the trackplan.

Over the past few days, well actually, mostly yesterday when operating dads layout at Risex, I have been thinking about the 'exhibitor friendliness' of Roads A-C (basically, the play value). As I will be taking it to Thames Valley Model Rail Expo on the 19th May, I want the layout to be fairly interesting to operate, and with only 3 tracks I don't think that this'll be interesting enough, so I have been look at

an alternative. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

This is the plan I have at the moment, I was going to use a cassette system as the fiddle yard with it feeding it in at the left end:

post-7271-0-23536100-1329690205.jpg

The Advantages of this plan are:

• Simple to build
  • Easy to use 3 car DMU's
  • No more track needs building
  • Will not effect the night time scene

The Disadvantages though are:

• Limited moves for stock (I make around 11)
  • Boring to operate
  • Less running space

Even though they are few, the disadvantages are quite big from a exhibitor prespective.

The alternative plan is to replace the fiddle yard with the 2 headshunt headshunt roads with the main feed road flipped through 180 degrees to come from the north with a small fiddle yard at the rear:

post-7271-0-94401200-1329691016.jpg

The Advantages of this plan are:

• Much more moves possible
  • More scenic detail
  • Operationally much more interesting
  • Lights are already purchased

Disadvantages (without lengthing the board)

• Difficult to use 3 car DMU's (although it can be done)
  • Headshunt roads can only hold 2 car units (which could add to operational interest)
  • More track is required
  • Much more work
  • Could effect the night time scene (more light being let in)

Most of the disadvantages can be worked around, but it is the last one that i'm most worried about and would personally prefer the alternative plan over the other one slightly. But what do you think?

Comments are very much welcome!

Simon

i liked the old one ,but the new plan dose look more fun to operate ,to save a little space have you thought about using a double slip to replace the three way and the point connected to it? but then it would mean relining some of the track?

i liked the old one ,but the new plan dose look more fun to operate ,to save a little space have you thought about using a double slip to replace the three way and the point connected to it? but then it would mean relining some of the track?

Hi,

I could, I do have a double slip "in stock", but it would mean extending the board a bit so that it's all on one board.

Thanks for the suggest, it certainly a thought!

Simon

Hi,

Right having played around with sequences and stock, I have now decided that I will be continuing with the original track plan, that is a 3ft Cassette fiddle yard, for now. I have created a sequence that has 26 moves with options for 11 more. Maybe, if I feel like it, I'll extend it too include the Headshunts, we'll have to wait and see!

Sorry about the lack of progress over the past week, I have had a real lack of motivation to do anything, even schoolwork and trains, so I've got behind, but hopefully over the weekend should see some progress!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Long time, no update, basically because there hasn't been anything to update you on!

The most I've done has been to paint the backscenes and to cut a hole in one of them and to put handrails on the small tank, I had a chance to set it up on the dining table, the legs are still to be completed:

post-7271-0-63331000-1330891537_thumb.jpg

I think I'll redo the hole in the backscene as it is too tall, because I bu**ered up the measuring.

As the eagle eyed amongest you will spot, I have aquired a Wrexham & Shropshire MK3 DVT, I got it yesterday at the Abingdon show secound hand from the train pack for £25, half it would of cost me to pre-order it from hattons:

post-7271-0-28649600-1330891803_thumb.jpg

It has buffers missing on the front and one coming off at the back, but that's ok, I can get some new ones, it looks really good on virgin coaches, although I hope to be purchasing some W&S coaches ready for Knowle Hill.

Comments and Questions Later

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update. Looking forward to the next progress report :)

Andy

Hi,

Thank you, here's the latest progress:

As you might of seen on my status update, I have unfortunatly had to drop A-Level Physics at school last week, this has had the effect of lifting a great deal of weight off my shoulders and as a result, I have been able to find some motivation to get on with Roads A-C.

Not much as happened scenic wise of the layout, other than the building of part of the 2 large fuel storage tanks at the front of the layout on the middle board using a piece of PVC Pipe from Wickes:

post-7271-0-56139500-1332106151_thumb.jpg

They are painted with Halfords Red Primer. The Idea of these are to block the view of the trains so that the view has to looking around them to see the trains, as you would in real life. Plus they are to block out as much light as possible, so to enhance the night time effect and lighting.

But work then stopped until yesterday when I decided to try and finish the transport / storage unit, I found that the system I had, where the legs held up the board directly, was too wobbly, so I decided to make up to fold down bases, like baseboards, to sit the boards on and the legs attach to them, a bit like a wall papering table. This is what it looks like this when it's all stored away:

post-7271-0-38113900-1332107173_thumb.jpg

Obviously the bottom board will move up on and all stock, power and what not will be on the botttom shelf.

When it's all set up:

post-7271-0-77192300-1332107290_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I've added bracing to the back and sides, this has taken away the twist in the unit when being moved, I still have to add a shelf and more bracing as well as varnishing the whole thing. Hopefully more scenic work will be seen next week.

Comments and Questions are welcome!

Simon

Another interesting update Simon :) The idea of the transport / storage unit is a good one. How will it fit in the car though? I've designed my layout so it'll fit on the back seat, with the legs, controller, etc. being transported in the boot. Good luck with commencing the scenics. I haven't even got this far with my own layout yet, but yours is great inspiration, being of a similar size :)

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you, the way it'll fit in the car will be in the boot (we have a Astra Estate) and the process will be as follows (hopefully):

1.) Unit will be taken to car

2.) All Boards / stock / power boxes will be taken off and placed into car

3.) Unit will be put on it's back into car

4.) Car driven to venue

5.) Once at venue, unit will be taken out of car and stood up

6.) Unit contents now taken from car and placed in unit

7.) Unit wheeled from car to position in hall

8.) Layout set up

That's the plan at least. The unit was not designed to hold it's contents while in the car, just as a way of moving everything needed at once from the car to the position in the hall in the easiest way possible (I'm a lazy sod I know! :P )

Simon

Archived